Gatekeeper again..

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Orakel, Jul 12, 2016.

1. FeralBoy

2. chuck105

Looking at those stats, it's pretty clear that Mags are pulled less, but have gunners more often. This is the only reason Mags are viable, the Gunner actually out damages the main gun, such that it can be quite rewarding. Whereas a lockdown prowler does stupid crazy dps, so the topgun is pointless.
    • Up x 1
  3. Azawarau

They have accurate weaponry and the most unique MBT in the game ._.

TR is all dakka and NC is freedom

I mean if you want to say the VS is UP well have that talk but youre tellin me they arent unique at all here ._.
  4. ColonelChingles

I think I ran the numbers, and the only time when the Magrider gunner does more damage is by spamming a Saron at close range.

It's a common myth that Magriders run 2/2 more. The reality now is that the difference is mostly negligible and doesn't explain the performance overall. I've been running the numbers of Magrider 2/2 usage since... April 2014. Sure compared to Prowlers the Magriders love 2/2, but they are pretty close to Vanguard 2/2 usage.

For most MBTs most of the time the primary cannon will outdamage the secondary weapon.
  5. Sazukata

From my limited experience of using and being on the receiving end of the Gatekeeper:

It's incredibly and irritatingly effective at sustained DPS vs. ground vehicles, possibly at ranges where the target cannot retaliate. This is kind of all it's good for, though. Against infantry, direct hits aren't easy-mode and it takes quite a few of them (though you get plenty of tries). The splash's only threat is pausing the shield recharge honestly. Haven't had enough experience regarding aircraft on either side of the matter.

Overall boring to use and upsetting to be attacked by, as it shines in ranged sustained-DPS anti-vehicle work.

Maybe take my observations with a grain of salt since I haven't stacked up as many hours as most of you guys. And because I've mostly been on the receiving end (R.I.P. my sundy), as I only play VS nowadays (used to main TR).
    • Up x 1
  6. D4rk50ul

VS always crying for nerfs while having the best arsenal overall. You have a hovercraft tank, Dodge the rockets and punish the tank who's special ability is to sit in one place so you can easily land shots.
    • Up x 1
  7. kr47er

All this cries will just bring nerfs.Stop complaining about overpowered weapons and start doing it about underpowered ones.
    This whole game is so nerfed that it losed the fun factor.
    • Up x 1
  8. Orakel

We cry lol lol you gone tell me why old PPA got nerfed ? Orion gets nerfrd and so man other VS related things
  9. Orakel

So all those TR inhere gone answer me on 1 question !!! Prowler is still a tank or just a sniping plattforn ????
  10. Daigons

TR players won't be satisfied until they can lockdown in their VR and 1-shot opposing factions on any continent.
    • Up x 1
  11. Ziggurat8

To whip a dead horse. the prowler as you said it has more kph. the prowler has the double main gun with a shorter reload so is more likely to kill steal the GK. the magrider has the opposite. the weakest main gun with a medium reload so the saron is likely to steal the kill. conjecture, maybe but that's how it "feels" when playing. I'm doing most of the work while my GK buddy is plinking them down with my final volley able to take em out from 20% or more. also the faster reload on the prowler gives me a better chance to score the kill shot. on a mag it's pretty even. but the faster fire of the saron will give them the kill when my last shot puts the enemy on fire and I'm reloading.

The thing everyone hates about the GK is the range, velocity and drop of the GK. if you have LOS it will continue to wreck you no matter who is sitting in it. it's a very very hard weapon to avoid. and since it's virtually a skilless weapon it feels like cheese when you're getting hit by it. any other weapon you are either to close t to avoid or it's enemy "skill" shredding your hp. only way I could hate the GK more is if they made it an auto turret then you wouldn't even need a player to sit in it.
  12. Celeris

There's a reason BBurns is always playing TR in his his tweeted dev blog videos. He's clearly a TR player when on his own time, what other explanation could there possibly be for the design of this weapon? Who in their right mind would give a single faction a weapon that instantly expands their engagement range out to more than twice the other factions options? A biased TR player is who. Bburns will likely have to be replaced before sanity is restored to game design decisions regarding TR.
  13. stalkish

Thats not the worst part.
    Worse than that is the other tanks secondary weapons (Enforcer + Saron) were given nerfs to, in the devs own words, bring the engagement ranges into closer ranges, presumably because the TR lacked a long range secondary. Then they gave TR the GK without reverting the range nerfs they gave the Enforcer and Saron.

Ye, good quality dev balancing at it finest there. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  14. SpeedFreakPS1

I wasn't around long enough for the original saron or before the they gave the tr the gk, the first time I logged in I believe the VS were outnumbered by just over 2x tr pop and I litterally couldn't move because of the gatekeeper spam, it is the reason why I was basically *forced* into playing infiltrator starting off, pretty crappy experience for a brand new VS players. I guess that is the reason why the TR would usually have 2-3x the pop of VS for the most part until DBG forced players to play other factions. This makes sense though since the saron has no chance against a long range prowler and even less up close.

Like I said before there is more than just the gatekeeper prowler combo to the 'point and click adventure' faction, I wont go into how almost all of there weapons dramatic RPM increases the probability of headshots and compensates for lag, latency and hardware or that things like a locked down pounder can hold chokepoints better than an ai max or things like giving a stalker infiltrator a 900 RPM side arm. Oh and I also hear they buffed the banshee this last patch, gee didn't even notice that /sarcasm off
  15. Jolanar

You guys are ridiculous. Your complaining is only going to further remove the unique aspects from each faction. Anchor mode for prowlers and the gatekeeper serve to give it a unique niche as a long range artillery platform. Its weakness is the immobility that allows it to fire so quickly. Thus, prowlers have less of a chance for responding to aerial assault or a rapid response flanking maneuver (either from harassers, magriders, or even vanguards). Don't expect to be able to shell a prowler from a distance and win. You have to use its weakness against it - weaker armor, no movement while locked down, and no defensive capabilities against air. In a 1v1 at medium range, a vanguard will win every time, as it should. A magrider should be able to easily flank prowlers and dodge prowler fire at longer range. Use your empire's alpha damage. Teams of lancers from the VS, Raven MAXs from the NC, rocket pods, daltons, tank mines, c4. That is the best counter to a prowler that is locking down.
  16. SpeedFreakPS1

Go back to gunning your gatekeeper bud, there is no defending the Prowler here against the Mag, I wish I had of known that little gem stated previously by stalkish. I wasn't aware that they nerfed the saron because the poor tr were at a disadvantage long range but then gave the tr the best long range mbt weapon in the game without reverting the nerf to the saron. Like I said that totally explains the current fubar state of the prowler vs pretty much anything
    • Up x 1
  17. ridicOne

In reality what's it matter for the VS to not push for neutrality since they have been the ones hit the hardest that probably have the least flavorful faction to play at this point.

Vets need to put into perspective new players and their ability. Mind you some new players are very good.

Let's look at MBT's as a new player when you hop into a tank your thinking your a tank. So if you hop into a Mag and try to play it like a tank the outcome isn't going to be very successful. You can hop in the other two and play them as tanks, slight variations but still. Now if your 1/2 tank oh well might as well not even really bother pulling a Mag because unless you know the map your going to lose to the other tanks more then likely 1/2.

Now let's talk about shooting at air by far the worst tank for that is the Mag it's sights for looking up are horrible. If your caught out by yourself against air your basically free certs.

The only advantages to Mags are if your a vet and have an understanding of how to use them within the game mechanics. Other then that they are the worst tank in a game with little variation anymore to suffice for having the weakest of the three.
  18. Jolanar

They nerfed the Saron because it suffered NO drop for an incredible damage output (this was before they made it rapid fire, when it was more like a Halberd). The Saron is still an incredible weapon, and its versatile with trigger discipline. I wont argue with you about the Magrider and its terrible aiming angle. But the gatekeeper is not the problem. Holy hell people look at the data.
  19. Dieter Perras

As a TR player and a guy who likes to gun I'd like to add my 2 cents.

I hate gunning the gatekeeper.

seriously when you've only got the one it feels like you're throwing spitballs at the enemy...

but maybe I'm just bad with it :oops:
    • Up x 1
  20. Jolanar

I've actually found that the Gatekeeper does better damage against structures than tanks. But the idea is that you are adding a little bit of DPS at range. I'm ok with the damage model. I'm actually more concerned about the Vulcan's DPS vs the Mjolnir and Aphelion. The Aphelion gets that extra damage shot if you release the trigger after a bit of time. I haven't actually interacted with the Mjolnir much, but I've heard its not that great. The last time I put a Vulcan on my Prowler, I was unable to kill a lightning at point blank range on a full clip...not sure why.
    • Up x 1