[Suggestion] different ammunitons on rocket launchers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by kr47er, Jul 21, 2016.

1. kr47er

I'll post this even if I' sure I will get tons of hate for suggesting an HA buff, but there it goes

Just came with this idea, any one thinked about AV and AP ammo on RL?

Folowing the MBT cannon system,by default you get a balanced ammo that performs on both AP and AV situations, but you have the posibility to upgrade to a fast travelling armor piercing projectyle with less proj.drop, or to a slow traveling but highly explosive projectyle, with great proj. drop.

It would be nice considering that RLs are the only weapons without possible attachements (not sure about this last,correct me if I'm wrong)

What do you people think about this?

Feedback's apreciated.
  2. Rebelgb

Love the idea. Also ammo that can lock on and track Infantry. If snipers can one shot a heavy now from 200y, I want to lock on to Infantry with my Annihilator and blow them the ff up.
  3. JKomm

Because hitting someone in the head with a sniper rifle and locking onto something are totally on the same skill level... we need LESS rocket primaries in the game, not more, these are already cheap methods to gain infantry kills.

On the topic at hand however, depending on the ammunition types available to each rocket this could be a neat idea that helps specialize rocket launchers even further and to user preference. It would require a lot of balancing however.
  4. Rebelgb

True enough, however id still like the idea of a Launcher with Ammo that can LOCK ON to infantry. Doesnt have to be easy and maybe its a one shot and done type of thing (until Resupply or Death). Restrict it, say if the Infantry person moves at any point in the rockets flight it loses tracking. Or make a cert line for losing Lock On. For those of us that absolutely suck at killing people with a rifle or handgun (3 years in and I still suck at it), it would be nice to get some kills as Infantry.
  5. Pat22

Nope, you got frags and C4 for that, and with a direct hit, rockets still kill infantry.

First off, MBT cannon shell velocity were all made the same, per MBT, so all of the Vanguard's cannons have the same velocity, all of the Mag's cannons have the same velocity, etc...

Second, to properly follow the example, MBTs buy whole new cannons for different roles for 1000c each, not just ammo types. In that same respect, Rocket launchers can already do that in that you have different rocket launchers suited to different roles.

RLs are not a weapon, they are a tool, and none of the tools have attachments. In fact, the heavy is already the class with the most variety in his tools, where most others have a single option ( none for the LA at the moment and 2 for the infiltrator ) available to them.

So, no, no HE rocket launchers. There's a reason the splash on the was cut down drastically in the past. Everything else you're asking for is already there.
  6. LaughingDead

You say tools but it's mostly what it can and can't lock on to.
    Lock on air and dumbfire
    Lockon ground and dumbfire
    dumbfire but more damage
    Slower dumbfire but even more damage
    Lockon both air and ground
    and then 15 color reskins.

Also the rocket launchers are actually pretty damn good at suppressing infantry, guy behind wall? Throw a grenade!(rocket)
    Honestly heavies have a bit too much power when it comes to fighting, medkits for sustain, rockets for vehicles and maxes, massive amounts of ammo for sustained combat, long firing guns that only lose one damage tier at range which makes them superb over other carbine variants at range, overshield that helps sustain and prevents 1 shots from snipers.

But it's the fighting class, whatcha gonna do?
  7. Halkesh

What about having the choice to replace RL by extra AV grenade ?
    These extra AV grenades can be reloaded on ammo pack, cost no nanites and rocket belt increase the extra grenade number, like any rocket.
    These extra AV grenade should have a lower RoF / blast radius / detonation timer as it can be pretty OP if spammed too much.
  8. Pat22

So the Grenade bandoliere?
  9. Vorest

Rocklet rifle will be tool too and it will have various ammo types, so I see no reason for rocket launchers to not have them. While infantry locking will be too abused, I would suggest something different:

AA/AT lock-on launchers could get access to slow and fast rockets much like NS Swarm. Not imbalancing, yet adds more tailoring options for playstyle. Also same option for dumbfires while faster than standard rocket deals less damage to prevent rocket sniping maybe? For example: In case of dumbfire from lock-on launcher like Annihilator, faster rocket deal less damage than normally, but if locked, deals 100% of intended damage)

Next, AP rocket that deals more damage (maybe 50% more), yet have small splash damage. Good for tanks, bad if you want to deal some splash for crowded bunch of players, also not strong enough to instagib MAX.Allows more specialization. (and no HE rocket, that would become spamfest instantly)

Next, Flareproof rocket. Able to keep lock on air/ground ignoring flare option, but being considerably weaker/slower (again, 50%?)

Next, EMP rocket. Temporarily disables engine, immobilizing vehicle and draining it's special(magburner, aegis, blocking lockdown ability, GDS, fire suppression etc[also optional, immobilizing alone sounds good]), but deal no damage, do not prevent using main cannon(magrider would be still able to rotate?) and secondary. Also have small splash or do not work against infantry, so it won't be abused in infantry combat. This way it's useless for lone infantry, but become very dangerous in coordinated tactics, or spawn room camping, one guy will disable tank, other 40 heavies will shred exposed tank. That way it would provide reasonable way to break HE campfests.

And as sidenote, no ammo changes for special faction rocket launchers (Phoenix, Lancer, Striker), they re special in its own way)
  10. Pat22

Because you already have more options with the different rocket launchers than you do with the Rocket Rifle's different ammo types.
  11. Halkesh

I should have named these AV something other because it seems non-logical.^^
    These grenade will be independant as standard grenades you throw with G. Basically, they'll be counted as rocket in term in ammo management/nanites, so no grenade bandoliere won't increase these grenades max ammo, but rocket belt will.
    A heavy will be able to have their standard grenade (frag/concu/AV) and the additionnal grenades witch are always AV or a RL.
  12. Pat22

Why not just keep the frag and the RL then? Seems like you're complicating things to get the same end result to me.
  13. ColonelChingles

[IMG]

From top to bottom:

7V and 7VL- HEAT, mostly good against lighter armoured vehicles, not a whole lot of boom because the force of the explosion is directed forward.
    7VR- Tandem HEAT, has two explosive warheads in an attempt to deal damage to more heavily armoured vehicles. Again, not as much boom.
    TBG-7V- Thermobaric, uses the rapid thermal expansion of air to create a lethal shockwave to infantry. Lethal to 10m.
    OG-7V- Frag, uses metal shards to kill infantry. Lethal to 7m, but can injure beyond that range.

In PS2 we really need "room clearing" weapons like thermobaric rockets. This encourages people to actively go on the offence instead of turtle in rooms.
  14. Halkesh

Well, you can throw 5 grenade a lot faster than 5 rocket. That's the point.
  15. Pat22

So you really just want a straight up close range AV buff ( that you can already get ) but sacrificing the other parts of your arsenal for it?
  16. kr47er

I agree on that, other classes must be in order to balance with the HA, In my opinion the light assault needs to be able to aim in mid air to handle better other classes. It's a class meant to flank but the infil will always have advantage there, and the HA has power enough to manage an LA ambush. Aiming in mid air would return its versatility to the LA, specially on CQC.
  17. Eternaloptimist

How could this not be easy? Nearest thing you've got in the game for this is camera guidance on the Phoenix, if you want to go cheese-killing individual infantry - at least there is an element of skill (and a balancing downside i.e. the need to stand still while shooting).

I've played for a couple of years now and on EU servers at least, there has been a noticeable drift towards more of the relatively low skill, easy kill explosive spam. It's all legit and part of the game but I personally would not welcome more of it.
  18. PatateMystere

Having HE and AV rockets available on dumb fire rocket launcher doesn't sounds like a bad idea to me.
    Could add more game options.

AV for vehicule and MAX. Same damage as existing one but reduce the splash. HE one, less on hit damage but higher splash damages.
  19. Halkesh

Yes, that's the point. HA should be able to replace their 5 rockets by 5 throwing grenade.

I don't understand what you mean by "that you can already get".
    If you're speaking about the 4AV grenades with grenade belt or decimator, they're indeed a close range buff but the first one cost nanite and can be reloaded only on terminal while the decimator is just a RL with better alpha damage than the default RL.
    I remember you these 5 grenades will be counted as rocket when speaking about the nanite cost (0) and the reload (ammo pack).
  20. Taemien

Default RL = AI/AV
    Decimator = AV/AI
    ES AV = AI/AV
    ES AA = AI/AA
    Annihilator/Swarm = AV/AA
    ES Launchers = Zergbreakers (when used in 3-4's)

What more variety is needed? I think heavy's doing good as it is.