Gatekeeper again..

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Orakel, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Insignus

Goodbye.

You have been issued a citation for attempting to use statistics in what is clearly a gate keeper nerf thread. You silly dog.
  2. Orakel

Ofc seems you dont get it ;) Aphelion closed range pretty good but sucks at distance ;) The thing is, Prowlers just camping and spaming with their GK ( i dont see any Prowlers with Vulcan anymore ).. you dont have any chance to get infight
  3. SpeedFreakPS1

Goodbye because you have no valid counter argument ?
  4. FriendlyPS4

I never thought of the MSW-R until you mentioned it. Now I love it. It feels like the Flare VE6 a weapon near and dear to my cold heart.
  5. Insignus

*shrug* No, I was being polite. You asserted that you were going to quit the game because a single weapon is supposedly unbalanced. It did not occur to me that arguments generally work when people make such promises. Thus, it doesn't really behoove me to try and stop them.

The logic is as follows, based on no more than (2) of the following circumstances:

1) The statement is being made in a non-serious manner, meaning that eventually the complainant will calm down to the point of making a rational argument
    2) The complainant isn't serious about their complaint, and is just venting, meaning it will eventually go away.
    3) Complainant isn't knowledgeable about their complaint, meaning they will abandon it in time if they develop perspective
    4) The complainant has wanted to leave for some time, but finally has a reason
    5) Even if the complainant is given what they want, they've demonstrated a willingness to frivolously leave - changing the system for someone who may or may not stay is not constructive.

In all of those cases, an immediate detailed response is neither beneficial nor efficient.
    • Up x 1
  6. Campagne

Still waiting on that "accuracy" over here. :p

Just out of curiosity, what would you define "rookie" as, in this instance? Personally, I'd imagine such a scenario as two stock MBTs both facing each other without moving or using abilities, due to a lack of knowledge as to how to use them. Now, correct me if I'm wrong (with proper evidence of course ;)), but I do believe the prowler would be the victor.

Since I've already quoted you, I might as well offer up my thoughts on this; The reason why something as powerful as the GK statically performs worse than its counterparts is simply due to the dramatic differences in usage and population size.
  7. ColonelChingles

That's correct. A stock HEAT Vanguard and a stock HEAT Prowler would result in a Prowler win.

The Vanguard HEAT cannon does 1,600 damage per hit every 4 seconds. Reduced to 592 damage and then increased to 651.2 damage. This means it needs 7 hits to kill the Prowler, needing 24 seconds.

The Prowler HEAT cannon does 1,000 damage per hit, with 2 hits, 2x 0.5 second refire timers, and a 2.5 second reload (for 2,000 damage in 3.5 seconds). Reduced to 320 damage and then increased to 352 damage (per hit). This means it needs 12 hits to kill, or 18 seconds.

So a stock Prowler will kill a stock Vanguard 6 seconds before the Vanguard would have killed the Prowler.
    • Up x 2
  8. Khallixtus

Okay, so Gatekeeper is overpowered?

What if I told you that your own Saron, firing at the speed it needs to keep its near perfect accuracy, has over a hundred more DPS than the Gatekeeper?

120 x 284 / 60 = 584 DPS. This is the damage the Saron can deal whilst remaining incredibly accurate.
    160 x 170 / 60 = 453.33 DPS. This is the damage that the Gatekeeper will always deal.
    The other fact is though, that the Saron isn't restricted to these numbers. In close quarters situations, it can ramp up the damage to 1420 DPS. From these numbers alone, its clear the Saron is the superior weapon.

The only real advantages Gatekeeper has is velocity and ammunition. When you are shooting at tanks, the velocity won't really matter all that much because any experienced shot can hit one with either the Saron or Gatekeeper. So thats one advantage thrown out the window as soon as a semi-experienced player comes along.
    The actual advantage Gatekeeper has is the ammunition difference. The Gatekeeper has 5100 damage in each magazine. I will keep in mind it takes ~10.5 seconds to shoot all of these. The Saron has 1704 damage in each magazine. The difference is though that it only takes 3 seconds (accurate fire) or 1.2 seconds to shoot all of these. So at range, the Saron will be able to shoot two magazines in 9 seconds (with reload time in the middle) for a total of 3408 damage. This is indeed about two thirds that of the Gatekeeper, so its clear that an extended battle with the TR long range AV bombardment weapon will be lost. Close quarters, you get 1.2 + 3 + 1.2 + 3 + 1.2 = 9.6 seconds. So you get 5112 damage in about a second less than that of the Gatekeeper. You would expect Saron to have a greater advantage in close quarters though.

However, what we have here, is an example of versatility and how the Magrider should be used. Unlike the Prowler or Vanguard, it's not made to sit in the open and happily hammer away at things (unless you have an Aphelion). It's made for flanking and hit and run style tactics. You don't have to run, but popping in and out of cover, abusing the greater DPS and covering up its weakness of often reloading by hiding behind cover when mags are empty. This isn't hard with a Magrider. Doing this you can get an easy 5434 damage dealt in ~4 seconds. Then popping back into cover, and repeating. In close quarters, you can get 3569 in a grand total of 1.2 seconds. Do you have any idea how strong that is when flanking? You appear, hammer them for a third or a quarter of their health, and hide before they have time to turn around and shoot back. Do it again, and you are doing in excess of 7000 damage. This time, they will be ready to shoot back, but it will be too late.

The only thing the Gatekeeper can do well is sit back at long range and accurately plink away at enemy armour. It can do consistent damage, but the Saron can play the game so much more proactively, and often more effectively when played properly. The only reason I'd rather have the Gatekeeper on my TR is because we have Lockdown and no hovering, not out of any misguided idea that its a strong weapon.
    • Up x 2
  9. SpeedFreakPS1

10. Draconas

it feels like 2 seconds when you're knee deep in a battle, but 15 seconds is still jack squat time to react and is entirely too short for what's basically a SECONDARY MBT GUN, even more so when a second gate keeper gets involved, then it's 7-8 seconds.

edit: inb4 someone replies being a smart@ss, please keep justifying this stupid gun, more power to you, any more replies will be seen as harassment and will be reported as such, I AM DONE WITH THIS ARGUMENT.
  11. zaspacer

Which has a massive impact on the Standard Game.

This is often the case. (or, as you noted, is even more the case with the handful of stats we have access to and the legion of stats we don't have access to)
  12. Lemposs

I hope they don't nerf the Gatekeeper, that will mean that the Enforcer, Saron and Halberd suddenly will get all the nerf attention because in the hands of a good player they can often do more or equal damage right now.

Also don't use the Marauder, I swear it is a really bad Fury that doesn't do massive PPA like AOE damage.

Thank the divine that quantity is what people notice :p
  13. FeralBoy

Yes Daigons, soloing with the GK was exactly what we were doing. My VS bud specifically requested, rather adamantly, that he wanted to man a GateKeeper. So I obliged and we cruised around picking off deployed Sundies at range, anywhwere from 100m-300m on average. I was getting the impression from his silence that he was rather disappointed with the GK's rather slow and uninspiring TTK. So on one of our next runs I slipped in my twinked out Vulcan unbeknownst to him and we got up close and personal run and gunning with VS Mags and Harrassers. After that first run where we rubbed out a couple Mags, a couple Harrassers, and at least 1 more deployed AMS he sent me a /tell "Holy Sheeat dude WTH is that lol???" He never asked to gun the GK again lol. ;)
    The only reason I brought that up was to concur with another poster who said that it's all personal preference. And indeed like many others including myself and now my VS buddy, we would much rather gun the Vulcan.

Sure the GK is as easy as it gets for out-of-the-box user friendly but I find it rather meh on the fun scale.

In pursuit of easy Directive points I have recently begun playing all of my alts to get all the easy 5 point Directives done. I must say I am very much liking all of the VS and NC ES Harrasser gun variants. Especially the Saron. I love the sound of VS weapons anyway (surgical pew pew pew) and the Saron is just a frikking beast. Its pin point sniping precision and CQ mag dump make it overall amazing.

I also can't wait to get my NC Harrasser chassis all twinked out to go CQ bananas with the Mjolnir. It is indeed a Hammer.
  14. FeralBoy

You should be, it's piss poor.
  15. Diggsano

The Gatekeeper is just too easy to play, just like all TR Weapons.

You just point and click until your enemy is dead...and that in every range you want.

VS and NC weapons do aquire a high skill floor, you can't just point and click with aphelion because that would do less damage than the vulcan which does that, you have to burst to get same or more dps with aphelion.

Gatekeeper should have massive of Bulletdrop so you have to compensate and have actually skill to do so.

The Video above showed that you can destroy one sunderer with just one clip of the Gatekeeper.....

Can Saron Oneclip a sunderer? NO
    Neither can all of the NC,VS and NS Secondarys.

The Gatekeeper is Imbalanced and considered one of the best and cheesiest Secondary guns in the GAME, next to the Vulcan...

They should Nerf it and never ever touch the Weapon again....but somehow some TR Lovers are DEVs now....

If DBG don't want to loose players..... they should do something about the current situation of the TR.

If i want to have a difficult unfair game where i instantly die when i do something wrong...i go play dark souls instead...
    • Up x 1
  16. FeralBoy

VR videos don't mean Jack Schitt, especially with a long range weapon parked right behind a stationary AMS. The TTK in VR with the Mjolnir is far less than the GK. Even well past twice the range that GK was at.
    And the magazine of the GK in the VR "training" video was not standard size.
    And you don't just point and click with the GK at range, there is recoil and compensation.
    And yes, you do exactly the same thing with the Aphelion at CQ that you do with the Vulcan.
    And you burst with both at anything longer.

I swear it seems some of you players have never actually used any of these weapons outside of sitting in the VR 5m behind an AMS.

I guess it's just too much to ask of some players for them to actually be objective and not throw out blanket statements that are just patently false and seemingly based on emotion instead of reason or fact.

But with statements like this
    ... and this

why would I expect anything less? :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  17. Eternaloptimist

Oh I get it. I was making a tongue in cheek reference to the fact that you get what you're given. Constant demands to have an equivalent weapon to whatever another faction has got are are pointless as they run counter to the concepts of asymmetrical balance and faction flavour. We already have plenty of NS weapons that are available to all factions.
  18. cyb_

At that range every ES MBT secondary kills in about 12 seconds (NC feels the fastest to me though). 150m away the Aphillion and Gatekeeper will kill that Sunderer in about 14 seconds.

19. Stormsinger

You actually just described one of the main issues that the VS as a whole has with the Magrider (Granted, this is only my perception of it.) - The NC has a tanky tank, the TR have a long-range artillery piece - both of these can serve the traditional role of "Tank" in an armor encounter. The Magrider is a hit and run flanker, which is not suited to go head to head with an armor column, but rather skirt around enemy forces. In many scenarios, this can work... in many more, NC / TR forces can traipse straight through VS lines.

The Magrider is a heavy harasser, not a MBT. The fact that it's also the slowest vehicle on all of Auraxis doesn't help matters does not help it perform this role much either. I do not think that the Magrider is a bad tank by any means, it certainly has a higher skill cap than the Vanguad or the Prowler, but its list of drawbacks grows longer and longer as the VS experiences nerf after nerf. The Saron and Aphelion are both good tools, although at this point - the Magrider as a platform is the weakest link, it's secondaries are fine. (Really, a 5-10k KPH to base-speed and a slight hill-climbing buff is all i'd really like to see on the tank side, a less obnoxious primary cannon angle of fire would be nice too, but i'm fairly used to it at this point.)

Just a few random thoughts.
  20. Lord_Avatar

Under 2 seconds, right... :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1