Fuel tank

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Halkesh, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Halkesh

With the recent update we now have access to 4 possibility for the afterburner
    • Faster recharge
    • Longer duration
    • Both but less powerful.
    • No fuel tank but secondary weapon

Witch one do you prefer and why ?
  2. Lightwolf

I'm curious to hear from the esf community on this.
  3. Halkesh

Same here, that's why I've ask the question. :p
  4. Stigma

Balanced and high capacity fueltanks appeal the most to me after some quick testing. Balanced fueltanks are always good, and the high capacity let's you do some crazy long burns because normally you pay a large % of your fuel just to start the burn, but with high capacity it is a much smaller total percentage - effectively resulting in a burn that is significantly longer than twice normal. Takes forever to recharge though, so I'm not sure it's ideal for air combat compared to balanced, but if you do hit&run tactics then these let you escape some pretty hairy incoming fire situations. On the reaver these synergize even more because of their innately powerful AB.

I'm not sold on the quick-recharge as much. Sure, its great to get a full tank back so fast, but it's not very efficient since you have to pay the startup costs for every burn - and that's like a quarter of your fuel wasted already before you even start moving. Also, it doesn't really let you do anything you couldn't do without fueltanks - just more often. Perhaps these could have some utility in dogfighting, especially jousting with agressive bullrushing daltonlibs (which usually run you out of fuel without tanks), but I still feel like balanced tanks would be more useful in most circumstances.

Just my 2 cents. No doubt a lot of practical experience with each is needed to find the best option for your playstyle(s).

-Stigma
  5. Sh4n4yn4y

While I haven't used them yet (regular externals work fine, until I save up the certs), plus... Hornets. <3

However, there's some points raised in this thread on Reddit.
  6. Steza

Longer duration for me If I see I'm getting out numbered and I'm alone in the fight for the skys. I need to get out of there ASAP and regroup with someone to help a skyguard, infantry push, other ESF's/libs, AA sundies or a base. Most of the time a confident ESF pilot will follow me into these friendlies which makes the fight easier for me. Before the update I'd use the default nose gun and maxed rank fuel tank to accomplish the same thing. Sometimes having that extra boost of afterburner makes all the difference, other times you'll curse yourself for not bringing a rocket pod to deal with what ever.
  7. zaspacer

Yeah, welcome to PS2. Where the (1) high cost of Certing out something, (2) zero option to refund Certs spent, (3) the lack of options to thoroughly test/try stuff out, and (4) the massive gap in in-game knowledge; all really means most players are better off not trying any new pricey Certlines and instead waiting and hoping for some sort of Expert Tested consensus and complete breakdown to trickle down.

Imagine some car maker (who was well known for making both good and truly unusable cars) made a new car and nobody bought it because there was no way to tell how good it was and because there was no return policy. You'd think that car company might do its own public testing or talk to known 3rd-party testers in the industry (who then share that with the public), in order to have that info out there for consumers to see and then make smart purchasing decisions with...

But then again, this is PS2.
  8. LaughingDead

Reavers gotta really pay attention to this one.
    Personally I like the quick recharge, in mid dogfights, pulling more maneuvers faster than your opponent is crucial to sustaining your HP and making them lose ammo/target
  9. Lightwolf

9k plus in my galaxy. I created the most used loadouts in current use. You get no sympathy from me when there are players to ask and a VR to test in with any imagination.
    • Up x 1
  10. zaspacer

"You get no sympathy from me"?

I'm talking about a game company that shoots itself (and its customers) in the foot because it has confusing and unreliable products with no refund policy, and so it scares off consumption. You're talking about having no sympathy for anyone getting shot because you've researched and joined a survivalist group and moved to Montana, and so can they.

Who wants to vet a Survivalist group and have to move to Montana just to play a game? Who says Montana or your Survivalist gurus are even gonna prevent you from getting shot?

As a consumer, I prefer companies that sell products that are easy to gauge, reliable, and with a decent return policy. If I walk into McDonald's I get this. If I login to PS2, I get... bleh.
  11. DrostenVS

The faster recharge one wasn't worth the certs. I've switched back to the original extended fuel tank with bonuses to both.

Haven't tried the 200% fuel one yet, but not sure if it will be worth it either.
  12. chuck105

Currently I use hornets as my go to secondary weapon, and pull tanks if I want to target ESF's in particular, mainly if there are a lot/ good pilots. Tanks offer 3 main benefits, they allow you to run away from bad situations and find a safe place to engage, they allow you to pursue fleeing aircraft, and they allow you to use afterburners more often, especially while reversing.

Based on this, the new options specialize in either the first 2 or the 3rd situation. I'm excited to try the fast recharging tanks, because they sound really fun to use while dogfighting, but I feel like the long duration ones will end up being the most versatile. Especially with the return of rotaries, and with Coyotes now being viable, fights will have to end quickly. The fast recharge tanks will work better with the default nose cannons, since they favor staying at distance and extending the fight.

One of the reasons I like the rotary is that you can eliminate targets quickly, especially if they are hovering. If you're looking to clear out a bunch of ground pounders, in a large fight, I think the defaults or the long duration tanks will end up being better simply because ambushing is the best strategy in such situations, where fast recharging tanks are good if you want fly around acting all hot shot.