Daybreak Games Wrong To Publish Atrocity Pictures

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Doc Kevorkian, Jun 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc Kevorkian

The artwork that you present to players who are logging in---the ones signed at the bottom "Ranulf Busby"---are not what Daybreak Games and Steam ought to be presenting to the young people who play these games. The images show fighters from various factions 'triumphing' over bound and helpless enemy captives by forcing them to kneel and shooting them in the back of the head, holding them down underfoot while shooting them in the back of the neck, and staging gladiatorial knife-fights with a helpless prisoner.

I am a former U.S. Army intelligence officer; I served two tours in Vietnam. While there I had to intervene many times to prevent prisoners from being killed or mistreated. You yourselves have no doubt seen photos of the goings-on at Abu Ghraib Prison in Iraq, perpetrated by ignorant and improperly trained young U.S. soldiers. Regardless of what you think of the second invasion of Iraq, these foolish soldiers did immense harm to the U.S. and helped lead to the situation we are in today regarding Islamic nations. I know from experience that those young soldiers are now suffering from the psychological kickback from what they did.

This kind of behavior in combat is unethical, counter-productive, pointless and just plain evil. It is unsoldierly and illegal in the armed forces of every civilized nation. By showing it to gamers as an example of how to behave in the fun context of a computer game, you may be actually participating in the creation of more torture, violence, terror and grief in the real world. You, your sons and daughters, and your future grandchildren will have to live in that world.

As a former soldier I know that war isn’t all atrocity and anguish. When the enemy is in your hands, that is when you remember that he, like you, is a miserable grunt who doesn’t want to be there. You must treat him or her as you would like to be treated if tomorrow you are in the same situation. There is a nobility in soldiers and fighting men. That is what attracts players to your game. Instead of appealing to their most squalid impulses, show them an example of how they ought to behave in the stress and misery of combat.

Rick Gauger, AKA KevorkianClinic
    • Up x 3
  2. Vorest

Looks like we have ******** here. This is a game. If you do not like those pics, then go play CandyCrush or other AngryBirds. I do not care about those pics simply because they show virtual and non-existing soldiers in virtual game, who do non-existing things. We all do what those pics show (aka murdering each other, running over with flash, etc.) and no-one beats an eye. If you do not like it, do not play game. Or make a sign and do 10 laps with is around your turf. Nobody cares, DBC can do whatever they want in their game.
    • Up x 3
  3. Vorest

Oh, * symbols... Oh well. That was supposed to mean someone with pain in rear.
  4. UberNoob1337101

...The hell? This thread has absolutely nothing to do with the game, I didn't know what the point of it is until I read this :

So this is basically another one of those millenial SJW safe-space BS.

It's a game of war, and in war where all factions want vengeance for war crimes, betrayal and regaining power with opposing ideologies, it happens, deal with it. It's just how it is, it happened countless of years ago when wars first started up until now.

And really? "You may actually be participating in the creation of more torture, violence, terror and grief in the real world", you know, it actually has an opposite effect, since people see how horrible and devious it is, they'll refrain from doing it. And the people who do it are just messed up, people don't kill people because of games, people kill people because they're messed up.

Then why are kids playing games obviously designed for teens and adults? If you can't stomach it, then don't play it.

So basically, it's perfectly fine for people to get shredded by bullets, die from explosions from C4, rockets and tank shells, get icinerated by flames and plasma, get roadkilled, get molested by those freaking female Vanu infils and their sniper rifles and butchered mercilessly in combat, then they ALL remember it when they respawn, but if one guy gets executed in a game where he could get wrecked in more painful ways in an universe where death just isn't a thing since you respawn, people get triggered? /logic.
    • Up x 3
  5. Demigan

Gee we have a game where we burn people alive with plasma, then have them return to life with all their memories.

This is a game where people regularily shoot their allies in the head for being annoying. These pictures are also just as friendly as the previous one's, where we could see people getting blown up, shot to pieces and ready to be crushed by a variety of weapons and vehicles.

Get your man-pants on and stop whining about these things. Victimizing yourself for watching pictures that show off the game, how low can you go?
    • Up x 4
  6. Stormsinger

With respect to what you (claim) to have gone through... (Anyone can claim to be anything on the internet. Without proof, it's just words.)

This is a game. It has a non-child rating. In this game, soldiers that die are sent home to respawn back at a friendly base. This changes the meaning of the context entirely. As a (presumably) former soldier, one would think that you would approve of the concept of freedom of speech. You may not like what is being portrayed, although it is their right to do so. If you do not approve, well... you've voiced your opinion, and now i'm voicing mine. Vote with your wallet - If you don't like it, don't buy things, and tell their customer service why.

Why are the images of the events portrayed in the loading screen unacceptable when you are playing the game, taking these exact same actions? It's the entire point of the game - Shoot the enemy, take stuff. They come back and return the favor. The only issue I can really foresee, is when individuals loose the ability to discern the difference between fantasy and reality. In such a case, our society would have a much, much greater problem than one of video game violence.

If you are playing this game, you want to be here. If you don't want to play... why do you?
  7. FillyFluttershy

For this to be true you'd have to be at least 60 years old. gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8.8/88
    • Up x 1
  8. Sinful Raevyn

While I agree with the most things you said.... this sort of phrase needs to die. Fast. It's a damn strawman of children and no better than someone using the term **** (evil germans in WWII). Technically... the new Godwin's law. -.- As soon as someone brings up SJW-anything, argument is lost on an intellectual level.

It also can't be millenial if the guy served in Vietnam. <_<

Srs.

The rest is spot on. ^.~
    • Up x 1
  9. Alan Kalane

Quite frankly I agree with you that it might be controversial and we don't need such things in this game. After all there's no blood and it's rated PG-12
  10. Pinkpuff

No, what needs to die is the SJW/safe space mentality. And the fact that he talks exactly like a millenial says he's probably a millenial roleplaying a fantasy to appear as though he's some sort of authority.

Nobody takes that nonsense seriously and for good reason.
  11. DeathbyGotcha

In case you don't understand this is a video game and if your too young to play this the rules specifically say not to. Are you outraged in your spandex, the only hypocrites that write this idiocy are Vanu, did it gets your panty's in a bunch ? really ???
  12. SourceDecay

I was put off by the new loading screens as well, as it's not depicting anything in the actual game, but instead, weird, loungy execution scenes. That being said, I think it's pretty over dramatic to say that they're going to contribute to the next night club shooter's motivations or influences.

Really, my biggest issue with the new screens is that the NC one is terribly inaccurate.
  13. Insignus

So.... if he's a millenial SJW..... does that mean he has a time machine?

But in all seriousness, conduct in war, and the perception of ethical behavior of one's own forces, is a major component of morale.
  14. Scr1nRusher

............................................What

Forumside, pls help.
  15. Valthis78

Questioning ethics and morality with username of Kavorkian...
    • Up x 1
  16. William Petersen

See, this is the kind of thread and idiot OP that makes everyone with legitimate complaints about the new load screens look bad. Ugh.

For the umpteenth time. It's not about warcrimes or stupid emotional responses, it's about misrepresenting the game. The fun of the game is in large-scale, contentious battles. Not sitting around 10v1-ing some unlocky sod.

The load screen should excite me to play the game. The current ones utterly fail to do that.
    • Up x 3
  17. Yukkuri

I have to say it has been bugging me that the new loading screens were all images of celebratory murder. Not only is it gross given past and present societal context, it is very much "KEK this will maek ur parents supar angry!!!11" teenage edgelord nonsense.

In fact I see some of the kiddies have already come out of the woodwork to call you names and gripe about "SJWs". They're not the only ones out here, though. I salute you.
  18. Scr1nRusher

You fell for a troll hook line & sinkered.
  19. fart11eleven

I was put off by those as well. Maybe a bit out of place.
  20. Taemien

My father served in Viet Nam as a helicopter door gunner. He served 26 years in the Marine Corps including two tour in Beirut during and after the 1984 bombing. Showing him the images and in his opinion they are harmless. The Master Guns (Master Gunnery Sergeant E9) approves.

Having served in the Army myself, I'll agree with him. The images are fine. When my young nephew (of about 8 years) comes to visit, he likes to watch me play PS2 on the big screen. Its one of the things he looks forward to. I have no issue with him seeing those loading screens, neither does my brother (his father), or our father (his grandfather).

IMO, you're blowing this out of proportion.
    • Up x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.