How do you use a semi-auto scout rifle?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by EIMR, May 17, 2016.

1. EIMR

I've come back from a PS2 break, and I'm incapable of using semi-auto scouts, which is quite bad, as it is the only decent mid-range weapon for infils. It just seems to be too slow and inaccurate for long ranges, and too unwieldy for short ranges.
    How exactly does one use them? It is only good if you are a headshot god?
  2. Halkesh

I'm on the road to the auraxium medal on the nyx (VS semi auto scout rifle)

I use x4 scope, compensator and forward grip most of the time. The only con, is if I have to fight between 3-10 I'm mostly a free kill so I avoid it as much as possible.

Basic of the scout rifle :
    -Don't expect kills past 100 meters
    -Standing still enemy are easy kill, but don't forget to move&cloak after these free 2 headshot kill.
    -You're totally inaccurate if you fire more than 3 rapid-shot or if you aren't standing-still.

I use my scout rifle in 2 situation (3 if you count sniping the free kill enemy that are standing still)
    Support-fire / hold position / defend / peekaboo.
    Take cover as any normal infantry would do and hold you position. Cover your ally against enemy assault. Recon toll prevent you for being flanked, cloak allow you to start every encounter. Go back to cover after you killed your target, start to taking damage or after 5-7 shot (pointless to stay since you're inaccurate enough to miss a MAX in a corridor).

Flanking
    Whenever is possible, use your cloak to flank enemy position.
    Enemy are wounded, standing still and aren't looking at you : it's free kill time. Avoid attacking if they aren't focused on your ally on your opposite direction.

If you are able to do headshot in VR room, you'll perform greatly with semi-auto scout rifle.
    • Up x 2
  3. _itg

The Vandal was one of my favorite Auraxiums, and I'm about 400 kills into the Shadow (which is worse, but still decent). IMO, the trick is realizing that they're best much closer to the enemy than you think. 20-30m is pretty much ideal, though the Vandal in particular will work well at closer ranges, and all semi-auto scouts will work farther out. The distance I estimated may be a bit off, but the point is, you want to be close enough that you can strafe and still hit things. Combine that with good accuracy, and you'll be able to outshoot heavies face to face. If you'd rather sit still while shooting, a semi-auto sniper will be almost strictly better, so give the low-zoom one a try.

Headshots are good but not mandatory. I often find it useful to open with a headshot, then go for body shots once they start freaking out. It's actually easier to go for chain headshots on someone who is shooting back than someone trying to escape.

A big part of learning to use these guns well is managing the cone of fire. At closer ranges, you can fire as fast as possible to maximize your DPS. Be wary of just spamming the trigger, though, since clicking too fast will cause "oversampling," which basically means some clicks won't count. At a certain range, firing as fast as possible will cause you to miss all but the first shot, because your CoF grows very rapidly. At longer distances, you need to pause between each shot to let the gun reset. It will simply take practice to learn when you can spam, and when you can't.

As for loadout, I run with a 2x optic and laser sight. IMO, the foregrip and compensator don't do much good, because CoF bloom dominates the recoil when you're firing fast, and when you let the gun resettle, you don't have to manage the recoil at all. The laser sight is genuinely useful, since the hipfire on these guns isn't that bad to start. If you're VS, it may make sense to use the Nyx with a suppressor, since your no-drop advantage eliminates one of the big drawbacks of the attachment, and the Nyx in particular is so quiet that the sound might well be bugged. I wouldn't suppress any other scout rifle.
    • Up x 3
  4. Razeprime

Not even the Artemis, aka the plasma crossbow?
  5. _itg

Sure, that one too. The context was semi-auto scouts, and I wouldn't suppress any of those except the Nyx.
  6. EIMR

So, flanking, supporting fire, and standing still? Thanks, I now see the problem. I was trying to use it like any other weapon, when they aren't supposed to be.
  7. EIMR

Aha, so for closer ranges, use only the laser sight. This may help me capture some points. Also, strafe at close ranges, and open with headshots. Goit it.

BTW, why is the Shadow worse? I thought that the shorter reload made it better.
  8. _itg

The main thing is that the Vandal has the 0.75x ADS movement multiplier, which means 50% faster strafing. That makes you harder to hit, and makes it much more effective to peek around corners while ADSing. Additionally, the Vandal has marginally better hipfire and 3 more rounds in the magazine, which are useful, while the Shadow's shorter reload is less relevant on infiltrator than it would be on other classes, since you can usually cloak and break off the engagement when it's time to reload. The Vandals's downsides relative to the ES semi-scouts are slower bullet velocity and a worse recoil angle, but I didn't find either one to be very troublesome.
    • Up x 1
  9. nehylen

Scout rifles are tricky to use at first but felt incredibly rewarding to me in the end. At this point i've unlocked both TR and VS directive battle rifles and those 2 directives are the ones which made me progress the most in aim.

For starters, as was told already Vandal is superior, because better hipfire, more shots in mag, .75ads. Yet that doesn't mean ES versions suck. They're just slightly worse off.
    Then, in both instances of my master scout directive grind, it took me about 600 successive kills with them to get a good grip on the trigger discipline/CoF. Not that i fared awful, but i seemed to miss shots (and died as a consequence) by a hair's breadth. Then at some point, in both instances of my 2 master scouts directives (VS 1.5y ago, TR is 2 weeks old), my usual headshot rate took a boost between my first 100 kills and my last 100 kills out of the 2320 each i had to do. By boost I mean +50%! It was as if a flip switched.
    Better yet: when i got back to standard auto guns, my headshot ratio had increased (though very far from +50% :p ).

In my opinion one shouldn't use scopes on them: go for 1x/2x sights, and IRNV when useful/applicable. These guns are close (yes!) to mid-range killers, with more or less frequent long range potshots.

Those guns thrive on headshots. Same can be said of any gun for sure, but the more damage per shot & lower RoF, the more you reap the benefits from headshots. This is amplified by nanoweave overall prevalence as a utility slot (it hurts lower RoF guns a lot more). This makes Battle hardened implant a must have with them.
    If you're comfortable with hipfiring don't hesitate to put a laser sight on them, as they can perform decently at it with one on, within a range where ads is dicey with such slow RoF. Ads accuracy doesn't suffer all that much from it, since CoF blooms pretty fast. 3 shots should be the most you do without letting the gun settle, and even that might be too much.

I soon stopped using a compensator on them (you shouldn't chain shots, and you always get pretty high first shot recoil anyway) because. I did use Flash suppressor a little back then (bloom penalty) and lately (mini-map dot range), but that's not ideal when i needed precision (back then) or some "discretion" (lately). Suppressors possibly viable, but didn't try: mid-range shooting is important with such guns.
    • Up x 1
  10. Halkesh

So far THIS is the main problem you can have with any scout rifle. [IMG]
    Aiming at the center mass and seen RNG decide you'll miss every bullets.
  11. Imperialguardsman

Well, if you wanna make people like me mad, you'll use a 1* scope, compensator, and a fore grip on the vandal for close/medium range engagements. If you cant get the hang of that just use one of the op-bolt action rifles such as the tsar/ghost/sas combo with a 4* scope to make people like me mad, because if you cant use the vandal with that op stuff on it... you wont be able to use any other scout rifle combo.
    • Up x 1
  12. PanzerGoddess

....nobody uses the KSR-35....literally a beast of a gun for the TR....
  13. Moz

L2P issue!

You need to wait for your scope to stabilise for longer ranges.

OP: You may find you like your ES auto scout if your finding the semis difficult to control. Another option maybe your ES sniper rifle that has access to the 4x scopes (TSAR, SAS:R and Ghost i think they are). These are great for the mid range sharp shooter.
    • Up x 1
  14. nehylen

The scout rifle is the HSR-1, KSR-35 is the "close range" semi-auto sniper rifle. In my book scout rifles beat close range semi-auto snipers hands down: higher velocity, higher accuracy when moving, better hipfire, some in-between damage tier.
    The only perk to the SA snipers is that you're more likely to get a kill with 1 HS+1 body shot than with scout rifles with nanoweave/range.
    • Up x 1
  15. MurgNC

I have auraxiumed the AF 6 Shadow. It was hard to learn and inferior to other medium range weapons I have used.

My loadout was:
    x2 scope, forward grip, compensator

I found accuracy during rapid fire was really horrible. I added the compensator in a desperate attempt to wrest more accuracy out of the gun. As the frailest class, as stealth based to boot, you really don't want to put a compensator on any gun as an infil if you can help it -- the fact I did is a testament to how bad the recoil/accuracy of the Shadow is. TBH I'm not sure the compensator was worth it.

If you do get engaged at close range, you can actually pull off some surprising kills by rapid hipfiring! That's because the individual bullets hit hard and accuracy is less of an issue when the enemy is up in your face.

Good luck!
  16. PanzerGoddess

......KSR35 >Vandal>HSR

thats my opinion....the ttk with a ksr is far superior than alot of scout rifles, great stopping power, getting hit by a SA Rifle makes alot of players think twice.

Its all play style too, I use a comp on just about everything I use
  17. EIMR

I used to use the Impetus, but I find it worse for straight fights. But, how do you use it? It might be me, but I just find it a bad sniper and bad semi-scout.
  18. PanzerGoddess

For cqc play it is just a matter of aim, shooting without the scope will net you quick kills. As far as what I use, 3.4x scope, forward grip, compensator. As for shooting the target, its a matter of timing the shot in-between your straffing, hard to do but after some practice you can get the hang of it.

http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item_leaderboard.php?query=25002

You can see not a lot of people use it but it seems to work for me, between the ksr35 and the tsar42, those are literally the only weapons I use. I will use the hsr or the armistice when I need to use something at night for the NVS.....which sucks for the fact the ksr35 does not have that option.
  19. Whattheheck

Hey here's an idea. How about letting Battle Rifles be used by the class that was needed to unlock them for 3/4 of the freaking directive. The INFILTRATOR.
    • Up x 1
  20. EPIC389

You can wait for the next update to go live. It'll grant high zoom semi-autos an attachment that basically removes scope sway