Construction System: First Impressions (post your opinions!)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DeadAlive99, Apr 27, 2016.

1. JobiWan

Played a few hours last night. Found most of it quite boring and struggled to find a good fight. Most of it consisted of two sides firing at long range at each other's turrets.

The Ant stuff is far too expensive IMO and I can't see me investing much in any of it for now.

I'm sure it will level out but I'm still on the fence, some of the stuff looks cool but until I see how it changes the game I'm reserving judgement.

I did manage to park a sundy in the new garage at Quartz Ridge and there was an epic battle to defend it and push through the new corridor against NC. We finally pushed through and capped and it gave a new lease of life to that fight.
  2. Gundem

War Thunder.

War Thunder.

War.

Thunder.

I swear, my P-51 will fill you with so many 20mm HEF-T rounds your carcass will resemble cheesecake.
    • Up x 1
  3. Haquim

Well....
    First of all your cert gain from shelling my bunkers from afar is zero. I can't really hinder it more than that.
    Meanwhile my engineer corps is consistently gaining a couple certs per minute from undoing your damage.
    Fun? Fun is what you make of it. If you enjoy being the uncontested king of the game you might want to try a singleplayer game instead. You DO leave the spawnroom, do you?
    And your stats? Well... there are more stats than K/D.
    Also I'm more focused on actually winning the game - which means locking the continent for my faction. I don't care about my stats beyond that I'd like my K/D to be >= 1.
    So if you find it more enjoyable to spam my base from afar with Ravens, having a K/D of 15/0, a KPM of 0.2 and a SPM of 50
    than going D-Day charging and engaging in glorious close-quarter/melee combat do whatever you like.
    But I'll be busy locking the continent with my 30/20 K/D, 0.4 KPM and 250 SPM.

Honestly, I don't care how you play the game. Planetside has enough to do even without engaging or defending the bases - it is exceedingly hard to destroy a *constructed* base without having an own *fixed* base nearby, so pushing the lattice and controlling territory is still important. Also you still get VP for territory control or controlling all major facilities etc.
    But don't try to adapt the game to you. Adapt to the game.

By which I mean don't ***** about core aspects. To lend an example from another game: I never heard a Heimerdinger main complain that LoL doesn't have enough tower defense aspects.
    This is not CoD or Battlefield. Its not Command&Conquer and it for sure ain't The Sims. Its Planetside and controlling as much as we can of the planet is our goal. Now we have another big tool for it.
    But feel free to complain about classes/tools/vehicles being under/overwhelming, as long as you can explain why and how to improve it. Balance IS important.
    • Up x 1
  4. Haruka52

Keep EVERYTHING except the VP generators. Camping to win seems more than a little stupid. It should be about building defences across choke points and forwards bases to help combat an entrenched position, not turtling up. And I say this as having played a lot of strategy games in which I win by engaging turtle mode, waiting for the other guy to crash against my walls and then striking. But crucially, striking.

And on the subject of strategy games, am I the only one who keeps expecting the crystals to be blue/green?
  5. WTSherman

If you'd calm down and read the rest of it, you'd see that it's supposed to allow you to join an overpopped continent if there are no balanced continents available. If this failsafe isn't working, you should file a bug report. For example, counting a completely full continent as "available" and queueing you for it when the others are nearly empty would obviously be a bug: a continent is obviously not available if it's full.

That system also has nothing to do with the construction system, other than the coincidence of being in the same patch.
    • Up x 1
  6. AlexR

This is so stupid. Maybe the stupidest update i've ever seen in planetside2 since beta. So you are telling us you were sitting in a huge base and spamming turrets non stop. Mmmm, so tasty. Gameplay\10. Spam everything to death from a single point. More like 2\10, mate. R.I.P. Planetside2 O7
    • Up x 2
  7. Pelojian

there are plenty of people playing planetside 2 that disagree with you. it's not about spam it's about combined arms for a change, infantry can't rambo in cause the get shredded by AI turrets, air can't cut anything down and linger because the new AA turrets will cut them to pieces if they do.

at the moment it's no longer 'next stop wherever the lattice says' and more like 'we can build here if we want, fight there or go behind the lines and siege that HIVE base'
    • Up x 3
  8. OldMaster80

I don't think this is an update one can condemn or glorify after 1 day. We should give it like 1 week before it gets clear where to improve.
    • Up x 2
  9. MrBlister

Not sure what I think of it yet, need more time to for a solid opinion. Two things though.

#1 Server populations were nuts last night. Need to loosen up the continent queuing or only have 1 locked down at a time. I saw a lot of frustration in the VR area. You can demean these people all you want for whatever reasons you want-Bottom line though, if someone that hasn't played for 6 months logs on after putting their kid to bed with all of 45 minutes of time they get at the end of the day for gaming, and they have to spend 10+ of that in a que in VR-they are going to leave, and not purchase game time or DB cash. Just the way it is.

#2 Do not think the buildables will work as intended in low population environments (then the whole game doesn't in my opinion, but that is another topic for another day.)

Then again I'm terrible at this game-so what do I know-lol.
  10. velie12

getting warped to VR training was a bug, they're fixing it now.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/hotfix-4-28.240178/
    • Up x 1
  11. Kerempooh

Awesome update all around! Haven't noticed any big bugs to be squashed which is goodness.
    However, first impressions are the most important and here's stuff (easy) I'd love to see asap.
    1) That Ant radar thing should show cortium deposits on minimap as well so I don't have to keep scanning around in 3rd person (makes it kinda hard to drive you see)
    2) Visibility! Q key should identify whether a structure is friendly or not, at least for player only (callouts for active stuff only, like turrets an the like). ATM it very difficult, particularly at night, to discern what is whos.
    3) In that vein, any chance structures can be displayed on mini-map?
    4) Obviously the radar is the reason for ant's existence just like spawn deployment is the reason for sundi's. It should be a built in ability and not requiring an expansion slot.
    And furthermore... some more utility for ANTs the ultimate engi toy? Like aoe repair and/or vehicle ammo dispenser? It wouldn't make it too powerful or a serious sundi rival cause it still can't be used as mobile spawn and has just one weapon hardpoint.
    But anywayz, fantastic update and I love the direction this game seems to be taking! Carry on!
    • Up x 2
  12. Hoothers

what combined arms, dude? You just sit on your turet camping, or wait arround until the enemy comes to you?
    wtf are u on about, this update is killing the game faster that 1000000000000 hackers at once
    what gameplay is this, sit in base, make a turret and camp?
    and u try to sell this as a solution to PS2?
    OR, STAY AFAR AND CAMP WITH A TANK, on SAME SPOT, for HOURS
    Ppl here say that this breaks the zergs, well, zergs are needed to break the fortresses build in the first place
    worst update ever, camping galore
    • Up x 1
  13. TrolKabu

Do you mean "camping in a destructible base, which needs resources to not get obliterated, with everyone around here trying to destroy/defend it, using all means to achieve their goal", is worse than "camping in an undestructible base which needs nothing except a lattice link to spawn infinite turrets/vehicles/people and requires infantry only to cap and hold points for some minutes, where the sole role of vehicles is to stack enemys to their invulnerable spawn or destroy their sunderers" ?
    • Up x 2
  14. Haquim

I doubt that he meant that.
    Frankly, since he thinks waiting for the enemy to come to him, or obliterating the enemy from afar by staring really really hard are the only two options I doubt his understanding of the possible tactics and strategies this change entails is advanced enough to come to such a conclusion.
    For now he is part of the majority though I think. Of course I couldn't really count them, but I'd say that yesterday about 60 guys were trying to shell our base to dust from the next hex (unsuccessfully of course) while only about 20 tried an actual assault with various tactics. Those 20 eventually succeeded though...
    • Up x 3
  15. Hoothers

They succeeded while gaining 15 certs, meanwhile you farming them made you 200 !
    Sorry, I wont feed you certs, m8, I wont help your faction get upgraded and help you equip your tank, if you want a fair fight, go out from behind that walls or bunkers.
    I9 am an infantry 90% of the time, tho as a subscriber and also as a buyer, i have ALL my vehicles top notched and ready for any type of encounter, i prefer infantry game play !
    If you come to tell me that infantry have a role, even a small role, in taking out an player made base, that means you are lying...
    • IT'S VEHICLE SPAM OR ****
    But, meanwhile, vehicles are not balanced amongst each other, with some MBT's being more powerful than the others, Prowlers shine at laying down siege on the bases, while the other 2 MBT's just plain and simple suck.
    An MBT Prowler , properly fitted, can make a dent, where a vanguard or a vanu tank can't.

• Infantry ?
    What infantry....the AI turret, the camping behind walls or inside the bunker renders that game play obsolete, making it if not a waste of time, at least very frustrating for the player on the other end of the stick, who's only resort is to chain spawn and die...to feed you certs.
    You may fool new players.... someone who come back in the game after a long time absence, but not old vets.
    Old vets are not gonna feed you certs, are not gonna be cannon fodder for your turrets and camping snipers. And will eventually leave.

You like math ?
    • How many players you think this update will bring ?
    • How many players will be pushed away tho ?
    In the end, you will be left all alone , camping for an enemy that will never show. It will be your buildings vs no one !
    This is what the update did to the game, i don/t see more players today than i see yestarday or 3 days ago.
    I see, how ether, more disgruntled infantry players, A LOT MORE.
    If 20% of the actual player base will be driven away from this game due to this update, you can consider another game to play.
    • All you see atm are pocket fights, 12/12 or 12/24.
    • This is not Planetside 2
  16. user101

New system - Render distance in the AIR is so bad you can not even see the turrets over top of them. Bases are invisable to air. Flack is so bad air is useless. Maybe the OLD libs with 15 meters of kill will work once again in this new base system. And rockets with 5000 power will kill walls. Libs & Mos will need galaxy type armor and that may not be enough....!

What were these DEV's thinking... Graphics are terrable, render distance is horrable.... the DEV's are out of there mind.

Galaxys & MOS will need EMP missles to kill bases and shut down gernerators...

Bring on the NERFING updates.... NEED this ASAP...!
  17. Costa200

Had a second round of this today. Cobalt server. Was bumped to Amerish (a continent i don't like at all and am now forced to play in) and i take a look at the tactical situation. No fights going on. No areas over the 1-12 indicators. Most of the map empty. Good time to test the construction thingy. Harvested a bit unlocked some towers, constructed a base by myself. Nobody shows up. Felt like i was Minecrafting the hell out of it. Was alone, activated the damn generator out of boredom, although i knew it would all be toast in minutes. Some VS showed up with air. Killed me and wiped the stuff i had built down as expected.

It seems the game is basically dead in my server at this point. At this hour i usally get in some kills and have moderate sized fights. Not anymore. I'm bumped to a continent without pop, where my faction is outnumbered and would only have a chance if everyone in the map cooperated to defend a single base.

I was also bored beyond my mind. It was the least fun i've had with this game since installing. If i had had this experience when i first installed i would have never gone with it.

I predict that unless something changes (and i'll let you guys figure out what) this game will not see 2017.
  18. OldMaster80

If that's true (IF) then this problem has nothing to do with the Construction System.
    By the way the point is who won the alert? The guy farming from a turret or the squad assaulting the players base?

Ok but once again: maybe the population balancing has to be redesigned or tweaked, but the bad experience you reported has nothing to do with the Construction System.
    • Up x 1
  19. Costa200

No? Well, last time before this debacle i had fun, now the server is practically dead at a time when it should be quite active as before. You are saying that this is just coincidence? Or could it be that people just don't like this base building crap? This is nothing new to me. I've seen plenty of do or break desperate game changes from other companies to miss spotting this one. Most of the time they lose the little players they had and close up shop a little time after.
    • Up x 1
  20. GriffinTalon

Its day 2 of the new system, hell for probably the next week, especially the weekend, people are going to be playing around with these bases to try them out, what works, do stuff for the hell of it.

I had fun yesterday, no issues with the system, NC built a base in between the mountings near our warp gate, the base ended up getting destroyed but was fun attacking, the turrets hurt :D

Can see daybreak doing events, modified server smash where they put down these bases rather than the main bases, would be interesting.
    • Up x 1