Welcome to InfiltratorSide2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by kadrin, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Ravenorth

Honestly most people who pick the class are usually just free kills. They either play Rambo with their SMG believing no one can see them and just run right to their deaths, or go sniping on hills without even properly taking advantage of their cloakin. My favorites are Stalkers who goes hiding on the most obvious places and spots every enemy they can see.

I could understand that from a low lever player, but seeing some 30 BR+ doing that just makes me facepalm.
  2. ElricVIII

This here is the issue with snipers. 1) There are never only a few, because there is little risk involved in sniping and 2) if the bast counter to a class is more of that class, then you have a bad metagame.
  3. Campagne

Snippin' is actually a high risk low reward playstyle if you're stupid/ignorant. ;)

But anyways, while I somewhat agree with you, I can't really support this statement.

The best counter for a tank is a tank, but when faced with one I'm not likely to pull a tank in retaliation. Point being that while I could use one of my own to combat it, there are many other options available, even if they are not the "best."
    • Up x 1
  4. bLind db

I run across more infiltrators crutching on stealth than I do HA's crutching on overshield.

Dildars and EMP's need nerfs, bad.

A good infil with one of the full-auto 24 round rifles is probably the strongest class in the game. Recoil comparable to an LMG but good range and easy to position. ******* amazing build.
  5. TheFlamingLemon

I love playing Rambo with an SMG infiltrator. Sure, it won't get the best kd or kpm but running but running straight into a huge group of enemies and being able to take out 5 of them is so satisfying it makes up for the times when you get caught flanking around and killed by a passively playing HA.

The infil does have a nerf - 100 less shield. I think the EMP could be made better, though, by only taking away shield (BUT, counting a HA overshield as an extra shield and taking that away as well.)

The 24 round guns are really pretty bad in my experience. It feels like shooting pellets a lot of the time, it just takes so long to kill a person. I'd much rather have an SMG, especially with ALS for hipfire.
  6. bLind db

I didn't comment on overall Infil status, nor request any nerf to their core. I'm aware they have a smaller shield, and I think it's pretty fair (even though 100 damage will often not meaningfully increase TTK since most weapons will require 7-8 rounds to do 900-1000 damage.)

The EMP already takes away the overshield and the nanite shield generator. That's literally how it already works. That wouldn't be a buff - that's live gameplay. Even when the EMP hits a wall 15m away from an HA, the EMP goes THROUGH that wall and will still flash their overshield and nanite shield. As it stands, it's 25 nanites that effectively does 500 damage to EVERYONE in its radius, regardless of line of sight, and still completely drains any ability bar.

You really can't use a silencer with them, and they shouldn't feel like pellets considering the weapon has the exact same damage/rpm as many LMG's. It's just a smaller magazine that is balanced due to the fact that you should be able to get the jump on your opponent every time.
  7. ElricVIII

But this is untrue. The best counter to a lone tank is a 1/3 Lib. But, just to assure you I'm not being pedantic, various numbers and compositions of tanks can be countered by an array of other options: harassers, lightnings (assuming you meant MBTs), liberators, ESFs, mines, C4, etc. A tank doesn't so much counter a tank as match the opponent's offensive force with an equal one.

Sniper infils, on the other hand, have tools to mitigate other classes' attempts to counter them. The cloak counters spotting, the dart and motion sensor counter stealth, and the fact that only infils have the option of snipers means that they are always better at range than other classes. I suppose you could rely on ESFs to patrol the area, but then you have the issue of requiring a nanite expenditure to counter a free option.

Stalker infils I can support a bit more, nice they do have to get into the CQC in order to take out key support classes. It's just that it is incredibly annoying to have someone with an unlimited duration cloak just hanging out in a corner hoping for farm. Sure, they aren't going to be effective, but it certainly ruins the fun of the game. Imagine if the game introduced a trip mechanic: you have a .0001% chance of tripping and breaking your neck with every step; sure, you'd only die about once per 1 mil steps, but it would still be annoying and unfun.

I think the bottom line is this: Give infils some real objectives (like the bridges on amerish) and take away their silly crutches like the wallhack.
  8. DarkStarII

Any class can hack those terminals...
  9. Diggsano

-Infiltrator is not invisible, not even while standing still.
    -Infiltrator have 900Life while every other class has 1000, that means you can oneshot them witch some Weapons.
    -Darklight has a range of 10m+ and "Disables" the whole function of the only PRO the Infiltrator has.
    -As Stalker you haven't got a Primary.....
    -Because a lot of Bugs the Infiltrator is Visible on some PCs better than on other what makes that some Players don't even need to have a darklight to see you.
    -MORE BUGS so the Infiltrator is sometimes not Cloaked correctly, Sometimes you see the Head cloaked as Moving while in deep cloak, sometimes you see the whole infiltrator because of Clientside
    -More

And you are here and can't shut your mouth?
  10. Zap97

Uh...apparently infils are too good at their job. Congrats everyone!

If they didn't want a sniper class they would have not coded it in the game. If it's there people can play it. And if you get killed by an enemy sniper you are either standing still or your own snipers are bad at their job. Infils have already a health nerf towards other classes and the cloak isnt that "super invisible". I think they are pretty balanced. After all, they can only pick one or two kills with a bolt action. Other classes are far more efficient in killing lots of people.
    • Up x 1
  11. Plastikfrosch

so the problem is not the infiltrator class but the sniper rifles. I love to play infiltrator myself but i tend to play SMG or semi auto scoutrifles for open fields. I think giving infiltrators sniper rifles as default primary weapon is a bad idea to beginn with since it forces an infiltrator to do the exact opposit of what he is supposed to do: being behind enemy lines, taking them out from within and hacking theire turrets and terminals. The first gen smgs or the semi auto scout rifles shoud be the starter weapons (and i would not miss any sniperrifle in this game if they would remove them totally, still any kind of sniping requires more aim than running around in towers and small building with shotguns).
  12. Liewec123

i can already smell the Mag-Scatter hate when it gets 6 rounds (extended) and increased rate of fire XD
    (pretty much is infil with a shotgun)
  13. Ravenorth

Thats a bit different, you are doing it on purpose knowing you are most likely going to die. I'm talking about those who just run around cloaked right on front of their enemies without any kind of plan, targets a single enemy, uncloaks and dies before they can even finish their targets.
  14. ElricVIII

To a degree, yes. As I mention in a later post, I don't have as much of a problem with stalker/CQC infils, even though they can be really annoying. My main gripes with infils are 1) the state of sniper rifles, 2) lack of a well-defined role, and 3) the power of the scouting tools (although this one is small).

What I'm saying is that the Amerish bridges should be made an infil objective (similar to the way only engis can repair gens), along with similar obstacles. Making all shield generators infil able to be overloaded by infils is probably a bad idea right now, but something like that would be nice.
  15. Moz

We used to have shotguns in days gone by.... was just plain silly!!

In regards to your observation, there are no more Infils now than there used to be. Infact i would go as far as to say that the cloaking changes made people go away from the Infil class quite heavily.

There does seem to be a lot of snipers atm though.... but overall i would say less infils since the cloaking **** up.... i mean patch.
  16. TeknoBug

Ever since I started playing again I've noticed a huge increase in cloaked Flashes mowing people over and when dying, rinsing and repeating again and again. Since the game went live I've always mainly played infil with a scout rifle but I feel the scout rifles are very ineffective now so I basically stopped playing infil unless I feel it's needed to sneak up to weaken support behind enemy lines- stalker with a burst pistol is so much more effective.
  17. Savadrin

1) A wallhack which you also get to use if your friendly INFs aren't being ****ters.
    2) There's more INF on INF crime in this game than any other demographic. It's a fact, look it up.
    3) This is what happens when you stand still on any battlefield. You get sniped.
    4) Adjust your expectations. There will always be snipers in life and in games. If you don't like OHK snipers, you should probably find another game that isn't an FPS.

I run a lot of infiltrators over with my Harasser. A lot by accident too.

If you lose a vehicle to an INF you've done something wrong, plain and simple. I don't think I'd care even if INFs could hack occupied vehicles, granted that there's some way to indicate that it's in progress. Just think of how many more roadkills you'll get.

Every other class has AV capabilities to go with their AI, except the INF. It's about time the INF gets something other than the ability to terminal camp.
  18. Verceterix

I couldn't see any infiltrators past the heavy assault zerg. FFS, people need to play some other classes.
  19. TheDarSin

If you think the full auto scouts are better than CQC BASR and most SMGs you sir are out to lunch.
    • Up x 1
  20. Campagne

Well to be honest the best counter to basically everything is a 1/3 Lib. :p

But on the other hand literally anything that does damage can kill a sniper, some of which are infiltrator-specific one-shot-kills. And a counter-sniper would also just be matching the opponent.
    The recon tools are really quite powerful I'll be the first to admit, but they do have a hard counter to them, and do not objectively win the fight for one side or the other.

As a sniper, allow me to say that I get plenty of CQC action, whether I choose to engage or not.

But I can certainly understand the frustration and annoyance of being killed by someone you couldn't have even seen. However, every time I kill a MLG HA trying to dumbfire infantry too many times in a row and he pulls an ESF to spam me to death with literally zero risk of retaliation, I don't quite feel so bad about it. ;)

Not to mention when just plying as whatever and you get stormed by 3 MAXes, or get spawn locked by 20 tanks and/or aircraft, or just the general spam this game tends to favour...

Point being that there are plenty of unfun things in PS2. Snipers and stalkers at least can only kill one person at a time, while being highly vulnerable to any forms of retaliation.

I think that the real problem is that there really aren't any real objectives for anyone, and everyone has some form of crutches in one way or another.
    • Up x 1