Is the medic an AV class & is the Infiltrator a Defensive class?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Oct 18, 2015.

1. AxiomInsanity87

Praise Slaanesh
    • Up x 1
  2. AxiomInsanity87

Praise Khorne
    • Up x 1
  3. AxiomInsanity87

Praise Tzeentch and Nurgle
    • Up x 1
  4. Movoza

Before this goes out of hand: Fate means only against MAX units, while CMD only looked at the tank part. Simple misunderstanding that can be solved by not looking at the letter, but at the meaning of what we all write.
  5. Tommyp2006

Takes more than one c4 to kill a max if it's wearing flak armor
  6. QQmore

Only read the first two posts.

Here Goes
    1. C4 isn't an "AV" weapon. It's a general purpose explosive. It's good against everything, stop trying to pigeonhole it into some kind of anti vehicle only weapon. The medic isn't a heal/revive only class, they all have some punch. So yes, it's fine on the medic. That being said some new items in these slots would be very welcome indeed.

2. Proxy mines are a sneaky way to get kills. It deserves to be available for the sneaky class. What would be nice is if there we're a few different kinds of mines. Perhaps an different AP mine that dealt damage like small arms rather than explosive and hit a wider area but for less damage overall, something like a futuristic nailbomb. Or perhaps an EMP mine or some kind of gas that did DoT and messed with your hud.
    • Up x 1
  7. Scr1nRusher

1) Yes it is(C4 is a AV option) & its widely known as such. The Medic class is not a AV class, thats not its role.

2) Engineers have them. Mines are for defense & fortification.
  8. Thardus

Is there stats somewhere, about how many tanks die to C4 that was placed by medics specifically? Does anything keep track of the stats in that much detail?
    I'm pretty sure it's going to be a really small number.

Without a Light Assaults sneakiness and agility, C4 is hardly an effective AV weapon.
  9. FateJH

As far as classes are concerned, I don't believe I've seen a breakdown before; as far as the effectiveness of C4 against Vehicles is concerned, there was a chart that listed the top fifteen causes of Vehicles being destroyed and C4 was one of the top ten for all factions combined but also the top five for all factions individually.

This chart is the Oracle from the beginning of the year, February 2015.
    [IMG]
    Basically, C4 is a heavy hitter (though not as heavy as P2-120 AP or any other factions' AP turrets but double that of the explosive that is AV by namesake).

If this really is a failure of situational awareness, it's either epidemic or it's baked into fundamental tank handling.
    • Up x 1
  10. Thardus

I'm not denying that C4 is effective against tanks, but I'm confidant that the vast majority (probably somewhere in the 95+% range) of those C4 kills were done by Light Assault. There's no reason that Medics can't have access to C4.
  11. ColonelChingles

The issue is that with infantry, they don't want to enforce teamwork and to have infantry be "helpless". Every soldier is supposed to be a Rambo, a one man army.

Just look at how they balance tanks and how it's so different. A Lightning only gets to take one weapon along... you can pick whether you want to kill infantry, ground vehicles, or air vehicles. Lightnings are specialized for a reason; it encourages teamwork and makes it so that one unit is not capable of easily handling all situations.

So why don't we treat infantry like tanks? Pretty much you're good against either infantry, ground vehicles, or air vehicles... but a single person cannot be effective against more than one category at once. I mean at least with infantry there's no cost at all for switching... whereas you need to pay a hefty nanite price if you want to switch between tank cannon.

Either...
    Both tanks and infantry can be effective against all targets (tanks able to switch on demand between AP/HE).
    Or...
    Neither tanks nor infantry can be effective against all targets (infantry classes limited to pure AI/AV/AA roles).
    • Up x 1
  12. ALN_Isolator

There is one hack in this game. All it does is let you spawn vehicles, aircraft, change out of your infiltrator class and access enemy turrets. No sabotage hacks available or vehicle jacking.

Touch my prox mines and somebody's gonna pay.

And you forgot the "combat" part in "combat medic" that's why they have C4.
    • Up x 1
  13. FateJH

What sort of weapons would you be unable to justify giving Medics for reason of "Combat" being a part of their title?
    • Up x 1
  14. ALN_Isolator

105mm AP cannons strapped to the shoulder.

(Only semi-serious at this point)
    • Up x 2
  15. Scr1nRusher

Are you forgetting you can hack turrets?

You would have to sue the Fortification/defense class aka Engineer if you want those.

"Combat" means they can fight back effectively against the other classes.

Which is why they have AR's.
    • Up x 1
  16. Scr1nRusher

THE CHAOS WARRRPRPRPRPRPRPRP
  17. ALN_Isolator

No I'm not forgetting they can hack turrets.... It says that in the post you quoted and must have read because you sectioned it up nicely.

I <3 my engi but prox mines are fine on infils as well.
  18. Scr1nRusher

Re-read what I quoted, you will see at glance why I thought you didn't mention it XD.

Yes.... give the class that can turn invisible a AOE explosive in a game where tons of people cluster up. Surely noting will go wrong........
  19. Littleman

C4 is a dummy check. Only players that make themselves easy and predictable targets are killed by C4. A MAX should never chase a softy through a doorway or around a corner. Easy C4 (tank mine in some cases.)

A tank should never sit under something infantry can easily get a height advantage. Easy C4.

A tank should never sit next to something where they can't see what's directly on the other side of it, much less near a corner. Easy C4.

A tank should be aware of the skies when NEAR locations with high perch points in case of LA. Semi-easy C4.

In every. Single. Case. Where one can be C4ed, they let it happen. It's their fault. It is a point blank (sans drop) explosive worth 100 nanites that requires some deployment time and can be entirely wasted via dying before pushing the little red button. It isn't even really about losing 100 nanites, those are there just to restrict reckless spamming of C4. Same goes for 450 nanite tanks and MAXes, instead of individual timers nanites act as a global timer.

Medics absolutely deserve C4. In fact, if you've died to C4 in your tank (or MAX) to a Medic, Engineer, or Heavy, you forfeit any right to complain about balance. Learn to play. Seriously. That's what complaints over C4 on medics boils down to.

And no, the assault rifle isn't anything special - it's $#!%. It lacks the hip fire of the carbines, and the magazine capacities of the LMGs. It's one, sole advantage is slightly less recoil, except if you're slapping a fore-grip and compensator onto your LMG or carbine (like most people,) you pretty much already have your AR, making AR's redundant in addition to lacking, because a laser sure as hell ain't saving them and they still need fore-grips and compensators for long range work. If this isn't bad enough, most killing happens within ranges where fore-grips and compensators aren't all that useful to begin with unless you're absolutely terrible at recoil control, so one would prefer supreme hip-fire accuracy or lots of lead without a break in firing. Rifles will continue to be glorified by non-medics, while real medics recognize after so many hours that it's nothing that can't be found on other classes.

The Medic is in a very poor spot right now, being genuinely shallow and underwhelming in game play options, offering absolutely no combat advantages over other classes nor tactical advantages. It has an AoE heal, can rez people, and has an assault rifle - none of these factors, not even together, make it worth using to the majority of people, seeing as this class is sitting pretty as the least played, non-MAX in game. So learn to play instead of gutting the class even further. Your welcome for your revives by the way - savor it. Most of us convert to heavies when we decide we prefer killing, or engineers when we prefer support.

And here we have someone that wants to remove C4 from medics PURELY because they think medics shouldn't have C4. I have two words to say, but I still would like to keep my forum privileges... surprisingly.
    • Up x 3
  20. Scr1nRusher

"Think"?

It doesn't fit the class design & role to be blowing stuff up & taking on things that other classes normally do.