So...ANTs.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GlassItem, Aug 19, 2015.

1. GlassItem

2. ColonelChingles

So far, "player construction" seems to be building structures, not vehicles. For example, you can walk up to a terminal and place a base defense turret tower (presumably at a base). This is a good addition because honestly base defense towers before were placed in odd positions, blocked off by trees or terrain. Hopefully you should be able to put down enough turrets to easily defend base perimeters.

As for the "resource gathering" part, all we know now is that it involves crystals and maybe a destructible crystal miner. Even that's mostly speculation, based on things done to the in-game files. No one really knows how it will work.
  3. WetPatch

They are starting with Turrets, So Phalanx AV, AA and AI. I think the Tower they will be sitting on was on the files recently decoded.

Dont really have much else to go on, maybe the ANT deconstructs to make the Tower?
  4. Scr1nRusher

Also don't forget the Missile Launcher Base turret thats in the files.
    • Up x 2
  5. RadarX

Deployment will actually be done wherever a valid location can be found, not just in bases.
    • Up x 15
  6. Rockit

Are these towers gonna be destructible or vanish after time somehow? I can imagine the spamming of them getting out of control at some point. Aren't there enough towers on a map already?
    • Up x 1
  7. CorporationUSA

New content means new bugs. This seems like something that might break the game for months. I'm excited for the concept, but worried about what will happen when they implement it. Am I going to have to quit the game for another 6 months? That is my only concern.

I'm guessing they are using what they've developed for H1Z1 in PS2, which is great. I hope to someday to see AI creatures in PS2, even if it's just fauna. But I'm conflicted because I think PS2 has a lot that should be addressed before new content is added. Whatever the case, I'm just glad they aren't writing PS2 off as a loss.
    • Up x 3
  8. Sagabyte

How about ANTs provide for base construction and spawning energy?

If you load up an ANT with resources, that could allow you to construct hard points or provide energy for your team to spawn.
    There will likely be some sort of no-deploy radius around preset weapons.
    • Up x 1
  9. HadesR

Will those " Valid " locations be limited ?

Such as by having to be built on a pre- (Dev) placed Foundation ..

The only issue I can see is that if they are not limited somehow ... You can and will end up with a Over pop snow ball effect , where higher pops can just lock down entire areas by spam placement ...
    • Up x 1
  10. elkikko92

but are torret, or "deployable mini outpost", with something to spawn like veichles?
  11. elkikko92

i saw a file, but no base, can you post it?
  12. ColonelChingles

I'm wondering then about the balance between turrets and vehicles.

Say there's this hill that I want to put some AT weapon on. I can pick between an AP Lightning and a Phalanx AV turret.

The AP Lightning is going to cost me 350 nanites, but at least I don't have to spend time mining (7 minutes to get 350 nanites saved up). The AP Lightning does 1,600 damage per shot every 3 seconds. The Lightning itself has 3,000HP and a 65% frontal damage resistance.

The Spear Phalanx turret is not going to cost nanites, but I would need to mine resources for it (and maybe pay for an ANT). The Spear turret does 1,250-1,550 damage per shot (depending on distance) every 2 seconds. Unknown exactly what resists and HP a turret has, but they seem slightly weaker than a Lightning.

So how do I pick? Based on time, cost, and effectiveness, there should be a fairly close balance between the two.
  13. Rentago

this bothers me, though I like the idea of being able to fortify bases, the idea that no AI controls and uses turrets when unoccupied stilll makes them rather useless.

You have bases with all these guns and no one ever uses them because they blow up, they don't self repair, and they dont do the minimum of defense unless a player mans them, and NO one wants to wait until someone finally gets infront of your turret to finally have something to shoot when they can run over to the fight.
  14. Scr1nRusher

15. elkikko92

So, they are not a tower base.

Also, it would be nice if we can build walls destructyble.
    Or maybe something that veichle cannot passing! So it Make sense also use galaxy.
    Maybe also landing pad can ne build. And galaxy can deploy on it and respawn.

Other idea is veichle terminal.

What i dont link is The distance between outpost.
    I like if outpost is an area of mining, and with ant you habe to go there. Maybe only spawn every minute, and controllo point switch base in 30 seconds.
    Ant has to go to a real big outpost
  16. elkikko92

Edit
    Another idea is Ant has to go in littleoutpost, and after bring The output to big outpost.finally galaxy drop to facilities The materials
  17. HadesR

How does the Engi AV turret stack up dmg wise ? ..

I mean why build a Static Turret with all the downsides that brings and potential cost .. When you can just place down a Engi turret for free.

I guess one plus might be any class could use it ..

Personally I'd hope they moved away from the ability to build direct combat tools and instead focused on combat / strategic enhancing ones ..
    • Up x 1
  18. Sandpants

The planetside 2 community/playerbase has a tight knit inbred culture of simply shooting the crap out of each other. Introducing a feature which requires some auxiliary and, quite frankly, arbitrary mechanics that will be mandatory to complete in order for people to engage in pew pews will literally kill this game with the obscurity of spawn mumbo jumbo.

ANTs have one, and really only one opportunity - to change the definition of winning. Currently winning is, by most players definitions, earning the most certs and getting your favourite pixels the fastest. For some diehard purists who are entertained by the mere sight of a paper airplane, the definition of winning is capturing bases and having the continent be splattered with their own colors. Hopefully, the latter will become the new common definition, with good reasons to boot.
    • Up x 3
  19. WetPatch

It will basically be a Turret sat upon this. I'm guessing, but i think the ANT will transform into it.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  20. elkikko92

My idea on resource revamp,dont hate me.

New respawn :
    Little outpost: quads ,ant
    Big outpost:sunderers, harasser,valkyrie
    Facility: all tanks ,galaxies
    (Facilities cannot spawn Saunders,lets try)
    So every base has sense to exists.

Ant has to take resource and bring to little outpost, after they have to transport to The near big outpost.
    The output built has to be transported with valkyrie to a facility.
    Finally The output has to be transported to interlink.
    After The veichle can ne build
  21. Haquim

That would be.... incredibly underwhelming.

I mean think about it - I spend my nanites to get an ANT, then spend time mining resources, then spend time driving that ANT to the frontlines trying not to get destroyed (which might happen) and for all that effort I get....
    An elevated gunposition that every enemy around can see and that sticks out like a sore thumb.
    In my experience the life expectancy of a Spear Phalanx turret is at most two minutes once the fighting starts and if this turret has similar stats in addition to the drawbacks I meantioned - simply get a harasser with a halberd.
  22. HadesR

Or an engi AV turret and save yourself the nanites ..