Mouse on PS4 and XBox and Cross Platform

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pfundi, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Pfundi

So as those two are getting mouse and keyboard now couldnt we make it a cross platform game? More people are always better in Planetside
    Discuss! :D
    • Up x 1
  2. Pointyguide2

no because they are still disadvantaged by the 30 and below fps
  3. Pointyguide2

and their skill must be very low
  4. Pfundi

Im playing like this for over a year and Im ... Well... Kind of decent by now. Sometimes. (New PC is coming next week!!1!!11!)
  5. Jac70

Wouldn't a m/k addon for a PS4 give those guys a massive advantage over pretty much everyone else.
  6. Pfundi

There we have the next reason to make those using mouse n keyboard join an PC server. You could make it so that they could always join an PC server but only join a PS4 server (with the same char) when they got a controller attached. And kick them when they attach a mouse.
    Someone should repost this in the PS4 forums :D
  7. fogartyfreaks

I dont think 30 fps is a disadvantage. I play at around that on miller, and i live in the US. I get terrible lag and fps, but I still do decently. It is still fun to play.
  8. zuka7

Link please. I can't find any info on mouse, keyboard support.
  9. Pfundi

10. CorporationUSA

11. Pfundi

I dont own a Console, but as everyone can get it its okay I guess?
  12. CorporationUSA

And by that logic, aim botting is ok as well.
  13. Koldorn

Semi related, since I can't post in the PS4 section...

Anyone happen to know how to switch to C4 on the PS4? Trying to help out some aspiring streamer LAs and I don't know what the darn key is.
  14. Regpuppy

Aim assist will exist, so the benefit over a controller player can be minimum, depending on how the aim assist is set.

Also, I've seen a lot of adapters that let you use regular m/k that limit the max speed to what's possible with the controller. So you can't flip around 180 as fast as a PC player.

I mean, k/m on console has been done heavily, even back in the PS2/Xbox days. A 120 dollar setup is not going to suddenly make it widespread enough for it to matter.
  15. CorporationUSA

I haven't played the PS4 version, but according to Wrel there isn't any aim assist. He could be wrong and there could be a little, but it doesn't sound like there is enough to make up the difference between a mouse and controller.

Also, even in Halo 2 a mouse and keyboard gave a massive advantage, and that game was known for it's ridiculous aim assist. Even with aim assist you still won't have the twitch speed you can achieve with a mouse, and accuracy is still rewarded in any console shooter I have ever played. Console shooters don't do the aiming for the the player, they just add or sort magnetic property to the bullets. And headshots are typically still harder to make than body shots.

These mouse and keyboard peripherals always give an advantage over controllers in console shooters, unless they aren't made very well.
  16. Pointyguide2

ps4 is a community of its own
    most likely will not happen.
  17. FieldMarshall

I saw some PS4 footage, and they had horrible rendering delay and distance.
    Dont know if its a PS4 hardware limitation or client/server issue, but that alone would make it unplayable for anyone on PS4 versus PC.

Im not expert, but i assume it would take a lot of time and resources to make the PC and PS4 versions of PS2 compatible.
    As far as i know they are two very different versions of PS2 at this point.

Thats not really an excuse though. Plenty of people play below 30fps on the PC, and everyone new has zero skill at first.
    Because they have "their own community" is no reason why they shouldn't be able to play with PC players.
  18. Pfundi

Yeah, youre right. Didnt think that one through...
  19. BlueSkies

He is wrong... they actually showed a dev working on it in one of the dev videos.
  20. ezaroo

Cross platform Xbox and ps4 would be possible but cross platform
    Between pc and a console is impossible in an MMO game. The reason for this, certain bugs only appear in large sample sizes which you can not do on your internal test servers.

To explain, consoles require vetting of every update to make sure it isn't going to break things or add malicious code to the system. Cross platform would require pc and ps4 to have the same update cycle, that means no quick hotfixes if a bug does get in. That is not a practical solution.

The only one this will be possible is when they decide development of the game is over and the only content will be major bug fixes and any or other needed updates, such as security issues... Let's hope that doesn't happen soon...