New and with questions...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Caracas, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Thardus

Yes, there are others out there like me! Well... actually, I love the Orion, I think it's great, and I generally don't even move when I ADS.
    But, the point is, you can't see the point of a weapon that everyone raves about. There, I definitely sympathize. First one that springs to mind for me is Blueshifts. Supposedly I can mow down an entire room of infantry with them.
  2. Shatteredstar

I've yet to mow down a room of infantry as a max, 5-8 kills if I charge on in sure, but this mythical "I CLEAR EVERYTHING HAHAHAHAHA!" nope, not as TR, NC, or VS.

What was weird is I couldn't do crap with the orion, but once I got my hands on a ns-15m, I started holding positive k/d when an HA White tracers 4 lyfe yo.
    • Up x 1
  3. Thardus

Oddly enough, my best kill streak with a MAX was when I found myself in the middle of a tower swarming with NC. I didn't even bother reloading my Comets, and just ran around punching people to death. I think it was a combination of people afraid of friendly fire, and the fact that I was so far past my front lines that people had difficulty believing what they were seeing.
  4. Shatteredstar

Hah I've had similar, I charged a cap point on Indar once when I was just starting, threw a grenade, and just held down the shooty button, it was like TONS of NC there all huddled up. Bunch died to grenade, all the medics started reviving. I shot some, ran out of ammo and just started spamming the knife button. Kills a plenty and finally died when I was like "I SHOULD GET OUT OF HERE!" and tried to run.

To the new player, these are the stories that can pop up in the game, just circumstances can come together with pure random dumb luck, regardless of skill that make you smile and go "I should've died so many times over..."
  5. Caracas

Engineer is the game for now, brother, but the underwhelming rifle could very well be underestimated.
    It was early 1991, when I got the brilliant idea to add a scope to a Belgian FN Minimi, a 5.56mm version of the American M249, with a scope.
    If you know that a SAW can give cover fire to 1000 meters and beyond... the idea to turn this into a sniper based rifle seemed obvious to me.
    Having quite a weapon based brain, I can fire shot per shot with a .50 cal, so doing this with a Minimi is childs play.
    The result was quite stunning: nice accuracy, and a massive belt should things go bad.
    Logistic wise not so different, although it has no AMR style function.
    Still, a darned decent anti-personnel weapon.
    They thought I was mad though.
    Ah well.

Otherwise: I got the suggestion to seek a specialized weapon platform to maintain.
    Seems I go out hunting then.

Thank you all.
  6. Shatteredstar

If you do decide to go with the Eidolon as your baby, I HIGHLY recommend picking up the MANA AV turret. They pair very well since you're often hanging back in a more support role with it.

People give it crap cause you really get outclassed in a closer combat situation, but for medium/long ranges on engy it makes a fine weapon since you can pick people off, jump on the rocket turret to hit vehicles, and got all the ammo in the world at your disposal, and if you tag people in fire fights you do a decent bit of damage to make it easier for friendly players to finish them.
  7. Caracas

Eidolon + 4xOG scope and High Velocity ammo.
    Got the gun now, just 2 more parts.
    But the certs come in oh so slow...
  8. Shatteredstar

Although it pains me to say it High velocity is kinda mediocre. Although I guess it can work if you plan to sit back as a support type more than anything.

I like the flash suppressor on it since the semi auto and general not spamming wildly with it makes the compensator not too grand. You could try the full suppressor but I feel like that gives up too much with it.

Laser sight or forward grip are decent since either one is kinda "ok" for the weapon. Don't take the flashlight unless you really like to be seen.

A good primer video if you enjoy the eidolon.

9. Caracas

Well, muzzle flash puppy seemed less important.
    High Velocity for larger distances seemed more logical.
    I despise ammo taking 5 minutes to get somewhere.
    Especially over distances that you can spit.
    Makes no sense, at all.
    I wonder, did these guys ever had a gun in their hands?
    Absolutely nothing feels right on them.

Anyway, seeing bullet flatline on 60 meter, I guess I should be happy with the Eidolon, I reckon.
    Really think the HV addon is underperfoming?
    I had the idea, in VR, that it does make some difference?
  10. Shatteredstar

The HV may be more me, but for the battle rifle if your trigger control is good should be fine. Most guns it just messes with your recoil but semi auto should manage it better

VR is the place to test the feel for sure, and eidolon is like the only VS gun that works fantastically with the no bullet drop.
  11. Caracas

What precisely do you mean with the no-bullet-drop?
  12. ColonelChingles

I'll assume because you have a military background that you know that most bullets travel in an arc. Sometimes the shot will impact your target above your sights, sometimes below your sights, and really only at 1-2 points will your shot hit the target exactly.

[IMG]

For the NC and TR, most shots will start to drop at a certain distance. So if you aim for the head, you may wind up hitting the chest.

For the VS, certain weapons do not have this feature. These shots will never experience this arcing. Most small arms fall into this category, but for balance reasons most long-range VS small arms will have the same arc that NC and TR weapons have.

The Eidolon is one of the long-range VS small arms that doesn't have bullet drop. So it is relatively easier to lose, although it gives up some projectile velocity for this.
  13. Caracas

Yes, I have military background, but English is not my prime language, and I wanted to be sure we were speaking about the same thing.
    Which we are.

Now, I simply fail to grasp the logic behind the damage/range/damage reduction logic.
    Some weapons don't do any damage over like 15 meters, while my son can almost pee that far, know: he's only 4 (hyperbole, off course, but you get the drift).
    Why can't I damage an enemy at 70 meters and up with a rifle?
    And even at 50 meters the damage is near gone.
    Now, I know that partially my autism is acting up in this regard, but God...
    With a rifle like that, it's preferred not to shoot, but throw the weapon, for damage!

I seriously hope they'll revamp this into a somewhat more realistic numbers...
  14. Iridar51

You're exaggerating. The weapon with the most damage degradation is Commissioner, which loses 50% damage over 34m. 50% is a lot, but not 0 like you seem to imply.
    The Solstice carbine loses 22% over 50m. Battle rifles barely lose any damage.
    And unlike real life, bullet damage doesn't eventually degrade to zero. At 60m Solstice will do same damage as at 300m.

The reason why damage degradation is so severe compared to real life is to create a meaningful difference between effective ranges of different weapons within render distance, and within normal fighting ranges during base fights.
    "...All of the gunplay in PlanetSide 2 has been compressed into a 300m engagement range (the normal effective range of an assault rifle in real life). Because of this range compression effect, much of the game revolves around getting yourself into the "kill range" of the weapon you are using to be most effective."
    - Hatesphere
  15. SirEltonJohn

Hello and welcome. It will get better with time. I would also recommend joining a decent outfit and try to find some helpful players within. Playing with a team and listening to constructive criticism from teammates will help you tremendously.

Also, how/in what way are you colorblind? If it is limited to certain colors, you may be able to change some of the HUD indicators to better identify enemies/friendlies, even if the actual camo/suit colors are difficult to distinguish for you.

Also: one thing I've found in a few games is that people with real life military experience (or gun enthusiasts) sometimes get caught in the mentality that "this gun/scope/etc performs in such-and-such a way in real life" and expect certain things that just don't happen in game. In PS2, better to rely on others IG for info about weapons rather than your own real world knowledge. Probably most players are like me: I wouldn't know a real life carbine if it shot me in the face, but I can tell you all about them in PS2.

Hope that helps
  16. ColonelChingles

You have no idea how bad tanks have it then... tanks that are normally effective out to 4,000-8,000m!

:p
  17. Caracas

What Iridar said makes sense, I understand it now.
    Thank you.