Anti-materiel rifle and AV ramblings

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Citizen H, Mar 4, 2015.

1. DxAdder

Infiltrators don't "Need" an AV option, and at best it's only going to scratch the paint on a tank.
  2. Calisai

See, that's the problem. It obviously wasn't intended to be like that. They added HE weapons to the Lib (Zepher) and MBTs... which felt like wet noodles against vehicles, but extremely powerful against infantry (especially at release). ESFs were given rocket pods, HE noseguns on extremely fast and maneuverable vehicles. Every other vehicle even down to the lowly flash has anti-infantry/anti-vehicle options.

PS2 vehicles fall under the every vehicle is good at everything model given the correct loadout. What if harassers were only anti-infantry? Sunderers were only AI/AA? MBTs were only AV? ESFs were only AA, and Libs only AV and Valks only AI? It would be a helluva lot easier to balance...

Then you'd have the true RPS-like system.... but they went with the every vehicle had weapons able to be effective against everything else model... and since SC was used to purchase those... its not something that will change.
  3. Elkren

Think we are playing two different games cause from where I sit the AV options for Infantry outweigh the AI options for vehicles. More specifically MBTs. The balance for vehicles in this game has fallen to the point where it's more worth while just ro run around as infantry. System needs to be readjusted all around in my opinion but my original point was there is enough AV weaponry at the moment. Giving another class an AV weapon is silly at this point. The problem is people do not know how to use the options we have correctly most of the time. So you either have a butt load of tanks roll in. Which in most cases they get stomped on by air or MAX suits or infantry. Or you have organized air come in and just laugh at infantry.
  4. KnightCole

They dont need one period. We already have tanks blast radius nerfed to ****, we have every class but Infil with some seriously effective AV abilitiy, tanks are big and slow, alot of the maps and designs have been changed to be close in, so its easy to get near tanks, or above them or w/e.

Vehicles are mostly a joke that just gain you attention faster. I hop in vehicles only when im going like 50m and dont want to run.....otherwise, I redeploy lol....Vehicles make good bait to, run in with a tank, attract C4 fairy attention, hop out, shoot in the face...+1 kill.
  5. Meeka

I say NO to anti-material rifle or any weapon from an Infil that can destroy armour...

The ONLY counter any infiltrator should have with vehicles is hack an EMPTY vehicle that has no driver and claim it for their own.

That's it.
  6. Takoita

Hmm... I think that every class being able to do something about the enemy armor in a fashion unique to them instead of one-size-fits-all C4 solution could be interesting.

Infiltrators could get an explosive (either grenade or something in the untility slot) that either paralyses enemy vehicles that get hit by the blast or just deals damage directly to the crew, bypassing all the armor entirely, for example.

Or maybe have those drones that were advertised awhile ago latch onto the vehicle's hull and deal damage over time until someone climbs out and shoots the thing (thus allowing the infiltrator an opportunity to kill the crewmember).
  7. BurntDevil

Hacking vehicles, and some sort of disrupting effect tacked on to EMPs, and maybe a vehicle radar effect fire mode toggle for decoy grenades. Not an AV rifle. Infil does not need one.
  8. Halkesh

Long range AV weapon on an invisible class ?
    You think it's balanced ? I don't.

You could have the possibility to add an other NS weapon at 1000 Cert with black & gold version that will cost a lot of SC.
    Or you can buff the actual crappy rifle we have :
    • Change Battle rifle, semi-automatic sniper rifle damage type to "anti-material rifle".
    • "anti-material rifle" deal ~100% more damage than small weapon to light armor and MAX.
    • "anti-material rifle" deal 0 damage to heavy armored vehicle.
    • Scout rifle and bolt action sniper are still "small weapon" damage type. (they don't need a buff)
  9. Liewec123

i'll remember that next time i'm OHK roadkilling maxes on my wraith flash XD
  10. Nurath

veto'ed because it is dumb to think infiltrators deserve or need an AV ability.

You're snipers and assassins, not Battle Frame Robotics.
  11. Ravenorth

Honestly Infiltrators dont need Anti-materiel rifle to be able to fight MAXes, they already have semi-auto sniper rifles, which are really effective against them. About three mags is enough to bring MAX down with bodyshots, one and half mag with headshots only, so with a mix of these two you can make them run in panic pretty fast.
  12. Liewec123

be careful what you wish for, you feel sorry now, but how will you feel when you're outside in your 450 resource exo-suit and you get 5 bodyshot killed by an invisible guy 150m away?

it is a shame though, on engy noone will even dream of using it, they already have a pinpoint accurate AV turret which deals far more damage, has infinite ammo and doesn't make them useless against infantry.
    on infil it would simply be too OP against maxes.
    there is no place for it.
  13. Jubikus

i guess im the only one that thinks its fine the way they have planned the thing is engineers dont really have a place when it comes to pushing a base unless your team has a max up as most people will prefer a more direct role as to just being an ammo bag. Currently they have a place on the point expecially with airdrops but this is usually to block a door the support the max. Now i believe the rifle has 2 intended purposes

1. Make engineers have a niche where they are usefull for pushing into a base
    2.Help solve the issue of vortex and raven maxes dominating at medium/long ranges where the VS with the lancer can only really reliably dish out damage on them.

As for giving this weapon to infiltrators well as much as ide like the infiltrator to get some kind of buff AV isnt our roll its recon.
    Infiltrators with this weapon would just be rediculas theres a reason the only av an infiltrator has is explosive bolts and thats because the thing can only shoot like 5 feet. With this weapon an infiltrator would be like out of render distance maxes with vortex and ravens pelting your vehicles except with it hitting like a wet noodle but with 3-4 of them it would be rediculas because even at medium ranges you wouldn't really be able to fight back do to cloak gorilla warfare. Infiltrators definitely need something but this isnt it maby making our shield pool the same as everyone elses because well someone tell me why we have less effective health than everyone else srsly wtf.
  14. Jubikus

im actually looking foreward to using this weapon sure the AV turret is there but sometimes the terrain can make set up time a pain in the *** as with a rifle you could gorilla with it sure its complete garbage against infantry but thats what an anti infantry turret comes into play my side arm and well grenade belt stickys. Im looking forward to someone doing a gank squad with this weapon and destroying absolutely everything well vehicles that is snipers will eat them for lunch not that engineers hoping on turrets arnt already free kills.