[Suggestion] Decrease long range infantry AV ranges to 300m.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, May 15, 2015.

1. Mxiter

Don't underestimate those weapons damages that have damage multipliers/special resistances on vehicles.

Of course it have less DPS than bronen ravens thanks to charge mechanics but it keep them more balanced.

Anyway, all AV infantry weapons should'nt be able to hit farther than 300m, even less for ravens.
    • Up x 1
  2. bamapama

Of course I would. I agree that being destroyed by something you can't even see is not fair. My point was that bringing down the range of long range infantry AV gear is not the way to go. Being in a vehicle allows a player to just tank one or two first shots. How many shots does it take to kill a MAX? 2-3 AP rounds. An ordinary grunt? 1-2 shots. An AV Mana turret? 1 direct hit. How many shots does it take to kill an MBT with AV Mana, Medium Anti-Armor Ordnance or dumbfire RL? At least 4-5 shots (and that's fine, they are MBTs after all), unless you get hit in the rear. And even when your vehicle gets destroyed you can deny enemy a kill by bailing, and get a new one (provided you have enough resources). It's not easy for infantry to kill vehicles. It happens on a regular basis, but it takes some effort (as it should).

A perfect solution would be infantry rendering at at least 460 m or more, but as it has been mentioned render distance is subject to change based on the server load, and is very inconsistent, especially in larger battles. Which brings me to another point. Right now at least once every week there is a battle so overpopulated that infantry tends to pop into existence just a few meters in front of a player. Does it justify bringing the effective range of some weapons down to match the render range? In my opinion it doesn't. Yours might be different, and I respect that.
  3. Scr1nRusher

There you go.

You said it yourself, don't be hypocritical.
  4. lothbrook

Trust me as a tanker when i say increasing the render distance of infantry will not be beneficial to infantry play, it will be very detrimental like it was before where tanks could basically safely lob HE shells well out of reach of every AV weapon except the lancer and vortex which would be a huge boon for the VS. Reducing infantry AV to 300m improves vehicle play by making people spawning in adjacent territories from killing tanks well out of the tanks effective range or even render distance and keeps infantry from having to deal with range issues that tanks currently have against infantry AV.

Its just the easiest way to do it, and it actually helps support combined arms by allowing vehicles to be more effective in the open field instead of a group of d-bags parking a valkyrie on a mountain and pulling out a bunch of lancers and being D-bags with them.
    • Up x 3
  5. bamapama

It's very convenient to focus on one sentence and ignore the rest, not even bothering to address any of the arguments.

The easiest way to do something is not always the right way to do it. As I stated before - vehicles are serious force multipliers. Reducing effective range of long range infantry AV weapons improves vehicle gameplay, which in itself is fine most of the time, by greatly increasing the risk infantry has to take to deal with enemy armor, sundies, etc.

Back in January there was a rumor about AV Mana Turret's and Ravens' effective range being brought down to 200 m. We have May and still not a mention about it anywhere on the forums, so I think we can assume that either it has been delayed by the devs or tested and it turned out not to be a solution they were looking for.

In the end all each one of us has is opinions and ideas. Whether they are good or bad has to be tested on PTS and live servers. If a solution similar to what you guys propose turns out allright, I'll be fine with it. Right now I just don't see it that way.
  6. Scr1nRusher

sigh, you really don't get it.
  7. bamapama

Sigh, apparently you really don't get it either…
  8. Scr1nRusher

When you bring up the Situation of Out of render distance Infantry AV in the "Infantry vs Vehicle", Infantry players do not want it nerfed or changed at all & refuses the acknowledge that its broken.

But when you make it "Vehicle vs Infantry" they do say & agree that the range would have to be reduced & that being hit by something that doesn't render & can't be killed is broken.

Essentially they are extremely hypocritical.
  9. Taemien

Render everything to 1200m

Problems fixed.
  10. Scr1nRusher

Actually that creates more problems and causes performance issues.
  11. Taemien

www.newegg.com or similar sites fix that too. All people need is a 3.8+ Ghz CPU and a GPU with 1GB of video RAM to run on ultra with 90+ FPS

Server issues.. well that's why they have coders and IT peeps for.
  12. Scr1nRusher

you can't just make hand wave excuses for issues like this.
  13. TheFamilyGhost

Yes, because 21st century wire-guided missles have a range of 1200m.

Hey, lets have a war and totally nerf our weapons!
  14. Scr1nRusher

this response is gold.
  15. bamapama

Why are you generalising? In the opening post you suggested to nerf the range of AV Mana Turrets, Lancers, Raven and Vortex Maxes down to 300 meters. Most of the users agreed with you, some (including me) disagreed. Both sides provided valid arguments. No one refused to acknowledge that the situation as it is now is broken. The discussion is about a particular solution you proposed, not whether we have a problem or not with infantry AV gear being able to deal damage while not rendering for the target. Everyone agrees that it is a problem that has to be solved one way or the other.
  16. Scr1nRusher

Apparently in the next patch:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/an-update-on-the-may-update.225602/

They are doing this bug fix:

17. FBVanu

it's mostly infantry that is 'farming" infantry.. lots of foot zergs surrounding base spawn points..
    Most veterans do not get farmed.. "farming" is not a vehicle issue..

Invisible players shooting invisible AV weapons is a constant problem. Until the game can render them, AV weapons should have their effective range shortened..
    • Up x 1
  18. FBVanu

I would not whine about that, at all. Most vehicle users I know don't 'whine' about much of anything.. we just like a chance to shoot back at whatever is shooting at us.. or at least have a chance to get our of the way.. Most times I can not tell where that invisible rocket came from, all i know is that I just lost a huge chunk of my vehicle health to something.. no idea what, who, or where from.

I highly respect organized infantry teams that take out armor columns.. great team work.. kudos to you.. but invisible and thus invincible enemies?? I don't think this is anywhere near whining.. this is a matter of some balance. And as DBG has indicated, it might, "might", be fixed in the coming update. However, if not, then the idea of render distance of infantry AV to equal their weapon effective range is a good idea.
    • Up x 3
  19. Fatal1o1

Personally IDC how far weapons shoot as long as I can see who's doing the shooting! Atleast that way I can defend myself. Not seeing someone/something shooting at you and not being able to defend one's self is extremely frustrating. I am not advocating Nerfing or buffing anything, just want things to render correctly.
  20. Rikkit

Possible solution: Who ever deals dmg to you, is immediatly rendered to you.
    This way, the performance is not messing up with rendering to many players, but also prevent freekills for long range AV.
    Okay, they may get one free shot at you, but would you claim, you can reliable spot a havy hiding in the mountans and fire his lancer at you? Ok, a squad of lancer may still get freekills, but to be fair, at long range, a tank simply can't defend himself vs a squad of lancers, even when they would render to him...