[Suggestion] Friendly Fire! Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mianera, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Mianera

I am curious, what are peoples thoughts on friendly fire?

Why is it needed?

Could we live without it?

What are the pros?

What are the cons?

I for one hate friendly fire. It's what ends killstreaks, allows griefers, fourth faction, frustration and in big fights it is everywhere. Friendly fire, apart from bugs and balance is what annoys me the most in the game.

What are your thoughts on it? Why do you think it is needed? Why do you think it should be removed?

Could perhaps a compromise be made where Friendly Fire is reduced by 50%?

Share your thoughts!

• Up x 1
  2. DrPapaPenguin

Its to stop explosive spam and spraying and praying in crowded rooms.
    • Up x 2
  3. CNR4806

Remove friendly fire = Spam bullets and explosives at every single choke point without care.

Just look at non-Hardcore Operation Metro in BF3. It's ridiculous.
    • Up x 1
  4. TheFamilyGhost

Pieces of metal cannot tell the difference between friend or foe.

One can take precautions to limit the amount of friendly fire they receive.

Finally, reducing danger in a game makes it much less replayable.
  5. \m/SLAYER\m/

removing FF will make NC OP
    • Up x 1
  6. thebigbortishbort

friendly fire is there possibly as a balancing point as mentioned before to stop explosive / careless shooting or merely to add to immersion , maybe both? either way i like it to stay like that.
  7. TheFamilyGhost

How does stopping FF increase immersion?

What is immersive about metal and explosives being able to tell the difference between friend and foe?
  8. Cz4rMike

eh, he said FF IS there to increase immersion. You got it the opposite.
  9. BlueSkies

He/she was saying that it would break immersion to turn off FF, and that FF should stay on.
  10. thebigbortishbort

you mistake my context , i said the reason IT IS THERE is possibly as a balance or immersion point or both , i didnt say taking it out would add to the immersion
  11. TheFamilyGhost

Ah, sorry.
  12. DrPapaPenguin

No, they will just keep shooting each other forever, eternally confused as to why their bullets do no damage.
    • Up x 2
  13. ronjahn

14. Crowne

I prefer to have friendly fire in these types of games. I think it's just too easy without it. The added situational awareness it requires is a fun part of the challenge for me.

Oddly enough, when I get teamkilled by mistake and the friendly says sorry, it increases my comradery with the team as whole. Sounds stupid even to me :confused: but there it is.

The compromise you mention might be feasible though. Maybe a 50% reduction is a bit much, but if there's consensus and reasonable agreement, I wouldn't rail against a smaller percentage.
  15. ppanj

Remove friendly fire, everyone starts spamming everything... sure it can be annoying but the alternative is much worse.
  16. Goldmonk

It's annoying as ****, but it is a necessary evil.
  17. Kubin

As stated above - removing it would bring nothing but impenetrable firewalls of spam at chokepoints (the Lasher would be 100x as useful for denial as it is now :D).

And to be honest - the only type of FF I have a problem with is careless drivers or rather "clientside" - the driver sees you beside his vehicle while on your screen you're in front of it and boom - dead. I've been on both ends of this phenomeon and I don't like both of them.
    • Up x 1
  18. LodeTria

I wouldn't mind reduced damage, say 2/3 of what it normally is, but getting rid of it completely just invites explosive spam even more than it is now.
    • Up x 1
  19. Liewec123

for a day i'd love to play without friendly fire, just to organise a Lasher platoon and just charge forwards spamming away mowing down everything in our path XD
  20. Mianera

What if FF damage was lowered by 50%. How do you guys think that would work?
    • Up x 1