Anyone Experience Extreme Frustration Trying To Raise Their KDR?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tortricat, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Magma52

K/D doesn't mean much in this game. The overall K/D used when quoting K/D includes kills obtained with vehicles. Hardly a way to compare people on equal footing.

If there were a separate infantry K/D, then that would be interesting.
  2. Pokebreaker

I could not agree more.

It is a great tool for measuring ones personal efficiency to kill and survive, and nothing more. The problem with ANY statistic, whether it be in a game, or in real world, is that everyone can interpret them any way they want. To me, per session K/D lets me know if I am tackling a situation wrong, and need to change tactics. For others, it's a tool they use to gain "internet notoriety", or to join better outfits. Trust me, if as person padded (padded meaning they used methods JUST to boost their K/D, and is not a reflection of their normal gameplay performance) their way to a good K/D through ONLY sniping, using vehicles, or staying in the spawn room, it will show when they join an outfit that has a high K/D requirement and a legit crew of folks that can genuinely wreck everything around them. If that person mains a Sniper, or only uses vehicles, and that is the grounds of which they applied for membership, then that is a different story, because it's good to have people that specialize in various aspects. But if someone padded their General K/D (overall K/D displayed by the planetside site) with sniping and Vehicles, but are trying to pass off as though they obtained it from in-your-face infantry play, it will show, and they won't last long in the outfit, because their performance will not match; that is of course unless they have a personality people want to keep around.

Players that CONSTANTLY run around corners without clearing them first, just to be gunned down, could probably benefit from paying attention to K/D. For as it would indicate in those instances, that their recklessness is not beneficial to them at all. Their is nothing "try hard" about clearing potential enemy fire lanes PRIOR to exposing oneself, especially if you know you aren't a great twitch shooter. Unfortunately, with the limited statistics the basic Planetside Stats site offers, people can only assume so much. http://stats.dasanfall.com/ gives much more information, that can really tell you how most players obtained their good or bad stats. From a personal standpoint, it is a great site for identifying your own weaknesses, and beginning to work on them.

It can be tiring to play efficiently all the time, and yes, at the end of the day, the game would be more fun without K/D tracking of anysort; because then everyone could just run around aimlessly, being useless, and nobody would ever know how useless they are. That's why I enjoyed Battlefield 1942 (or 1943)
  3. Pokebreaker

There is.

Check out http://stats.dasanfall.com/ One of the most comprehensive Planetside 2 Stat Tracking websites, and it features an Infantry-Only domain.
  4. uhlan

For what it's worth, I noticed a very cyclical nature to the ebb and flow where my KD progress is concerned.

I've also noticed that I do far better if I play no later than 2300 Eastern on Emerald.

I can't explain it, I don't mean to accuse or start conspiracy theories, but after that time and beyond "gameplay" gets weird to say the least even when the pop is constant.

My accuracy goes to crap, I find I can't hide from anyone, despite being fairly experienced.

Even folks with similar stats and gun accuracy (mine is in the 30's for Carbines and low 30's and high 20's for LMG's) can out shoot me consistently.

When I mean out-shoot, I mean instantaneously out-shoot... take that to mean what you will.

I'm not calling "shenanigans", but that 2300 time frame is a pretty hard cutoff for me.

I had thought it might be latency when fighting folks from the west coast who play on Emerald, but I think more is going on.
    • Up x 1
  5. FlR3

I have to agree with uhlan as far as after a time frame on Emerald all of a sudden it seems these low levels show up and they are like in God mode. Snapping to target, out running tanks on foot and so on. As far as KDR, I can care less about my KDR. I am there to help support the team, be it healing, bringing the dead back, repairing, laying out ammo, taking a point, defend, cause chaos and a thorn in the enemies back side. If I get killed I will be rezzed by a team mate or just respawn. If all people care about is a KDR then they are not being a team player. This is a team based game.
  6. Kevanov

Play the ggnoskill sniper or play only during the week-end when you can 2KDR+ without even trying
  7. travbrad

The easiest way to get a higher KDR is honestly to just spam vehicles and MAXs. It's harder to die when you have a big chunk of metal surrounding you.

If you wanted to do it in a way that is actually fun though, just get a SVA88 and mow down enemies. Even at pretty long range it's better than a Battle Rifle IMO (with compensator and foregrip), and at medium and short range it's one of the best guns in the game.
  8. iSpank

Don't use Eidolon, its very situation weapon, as a VS HA you get free Orion, its an excellent weapon for quickly taking out enemies.
    but in the end K/D R doesn't matter, just enjoy the game. its planetside2 nobody is perfect.
  9. customer548

"K/D in this game means nothing"

- Put 2 opponnents who love the infantry gameplay in a spawn room with the same class and weapons, or those two of them alone on Indar map with no other player...The survivor will be the one with the highest K/D. Because he knows how to play his class, he knows how to use his equipment, placements, and how to use his environment.

"K/D in this game means nothing, just ignore it, just have fun."

- This game is a FPS. Does it deal with killing any lonely freaky monster with your friends, or building farms ? No, it deals with erasing opponents (for a short period of time).
    Each time you meet an opponent, it's only for a competitive short laps of time . Will he bring you to his spawn point or will you ? That's all. This game is a competitive one. You can deal with it, or make the choice of ignoring it.
    That shouldn't be a problem, each player has his own point of view about it. And no one should blame others for focusing on fun OR on K/D.

Each game includes a part of stastitics, a kind of balance showing if you do play the game in a good or a bad way. And suddenly, those kind of statistics should have no clue, especially for this game which is a competitive one ? Seriously ...
    • Up x 1
  10. Drasilov

People say don't worry about KDR but that downtime is time spent not supporting the battle - also you don't want to be giving the enemy xps and certs to upgrade their weapons. Avoiding death to me is important although its almost impossible in the game as there are so many instant death scenarios that are completely out of your control.

Driving down a road with no enemy in sight in my Lightning. Piece of destroyed Lib lands on the hillside in front of me and rolls onto me blowing up my tank.

That's the futility of keeping your KDR up.

If I get 1:1 I'm ok with that but if it goes lower I'm conscious of giving the enemy more than I have taken.
  11. Canadalex

I've been playing as a TR under the name 'Canadalex' and didn't have any care for KDR, didn't even know what it was. By the time I realized that this metric even existed my BR was already high and my KDR super cratered due to my careless play style.

So I started an Emerald NC called 'Doochebag'. Focused on getting a good lifetime KDR. Selected the Viper Lightning as vehicle of choice for achieving such ends. Could have higher results playing a cloaker but engineer offers more resilience to the fight.

Now I'm BR65 with a lifetime KDR of 7.5+. My aim is to achieve an LKDR of 10+ by the time I reach BR120. At which point I will gracefully retire the character of course lol But yes, every death shaves away 0.01. And I have to clean kill 8+ to get a +0.01.

So the facto I'm playing way above 8 in order to catapult myself forward. My objective is based on the fact that I'm getting better and better as I play. But I usually play casually wherever the game drops me as I login. After 1 death, I tend to log out.
  12. The Rogue Wolf

If we get into an Internet argument and my KDR is higher than yours, that means I'm right and you're wrong.
    (But if yours is higher than mine, then you just have no life and need to get a girl/boy/Elder Thing-friend.)

But seriously. Half of my deaths are because of me getting bored and charging into a situation, so if you want to reduce your needless deaths, keep in mind the first three words of this famous quote:

"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

Very few situations absolutely require you to go running into a situation without backup or understanding of what's going on. Keep to cover, move from point to point deliberately, and don't be afraid to withdraw if odds are against you.

(Whoops! Didn't realize this was a necro post. Thought I smelled something funny.)
  13. Sinful Raevyn

Way to bump a year old thread...

Necrophilia is bad.
    • Up x 3
  14. Azawarau

My kdr is something like .9?

Suicide drops are the best
  15. ObiVanuKenobi

Let me introduce you to another wonderful stat, it's called SPM or score per minute.
    It shows how fast you're getting kills. Good players have both high k/d and high SPM but it's possible to boost k/d by playing very safe and getting low SPM which your character seems to have https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428232026849045793/killboard
  16. Daigons

KDR are for chumps attention ******. It goes hand in hand with scumbag players who will jump to their alts of the faction that's currently winning.
  17. EPIC389

KDR means little in this game. My KDR is absolutely terrible and im doing perfectly fine.

......No not really
  18. ObiVanuKenobi

People who play for k/d don't give a **** about which faction is winning because territory doesn't matter at all for them and being slightly underpopped is usually a good thing because there are more people to shoot and more defense fights which are better for farming than attacking.
  19. Hegeteus

Getting frustrated over KDR will only make it become worse. When your actual gameplay feels good, KDR will follow
    • Up x 1
  20. Pelojian

KDR is a worthless stat that only tells you vaguely how well you and your allies are doing, cause lt's face it you can be doing well but your team sucks and isn't countering threats properly and as a result you and many of your allies get slaughtered by the threat.

SPM is a good indication of how well you are doing in both combat and support roles.