1000-2000 Certs, what 2 buy?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ShinyWaxBullet, Feb 20, 2015.

1. ShinyWaxBullet

So I'm kinda new to PS2 and I've got almost nothing unlocked.

I have 1000 certs saved up at the moment, and I'm willing to save up to 1500-2000 certs to get something nice.

Wondering if there's any "must haves" or something nice I should be thinking about picking up?

Was thinking about the skyguard or decking out a vanguard but after reading some posts skyguard seems pretty squishy and I'm not sure anymore.
  2. johnway

When ever i start a new character, suit slots are always the first things i purchase. The first few levels are dirt cheap and thats something you should get for the classes you play the most. Nanoweave and flak are always good options.

If you're playing as HA get the upgrades for the NMG
    Medics, feel free to invest in both healing and revive, both are equally useful and a real cert earner.

I rarely getting a new weapon so early on as the starting weapons are usually good enough. You may want a new one if you're really struggling with the current weapons. At a push, i suppose an AA launcher for the HA will be useful. I generally feel that Infantry stuff is more useful than vehicle stuff as most of the important stuff requires you to go on foot.
  3. LodeTria

What faction are you and what class/vehicle have you taken the the most liking to?

You said that you was thinking of the sky-guard, but t's almost always better to get the 2nd MAX burster arm as it is a far more versatile unit than the sky-guard.
  4. ShinyWaxBullet

Well I've been looking around and I think from what I've been seeing the best thing I could possibly do with these credits is to start dumping them into class upgrades, starting with combat medic, and maybe since I like playing light assault it couldn't hurt to give him an upgrade. As for weapons I've already purchased a carbine and an SMG and I'm happy with my weapons currently.
  5. LodeTria

If you haven't maxed the medic revive tool yet, i'd suggest doing that ASAP if you plan on playing medic sometimes. You get faster revives times and people revive with more health than the standard tool. It also has a bit more range too I think.
    • Up x 1
  6. KirthGersen

Get MBT or Lightning AP cannon, and cert up its ammo/reload/thermals or zoom :)
  7. Liewec123

it all depends on what kind of player you are and what faction, i can tell you now that skyguard is awful.
    terribly slow projectiles with ridiculously large cone of fire.
  8. CapEnTrade

Put it all into your MAX
    Learn how to play max and you'll always kick but.
  9. Pfundi

Id say try a SMG (I know, noone likes when I suggest newbs to buy weapons), because it offers a whole new playstyle, and can be a nice addition to your heavy when youre NC. (There is a bundle for 1.99$ with a SMG you can use on all chars on that account, even from all three empires. That SMG normally is 7$ or 1000Certs, so its a nice investment for a nice game.)
    If not, it depends, upgrade your heavy, medic or engie or whatever you like.
    Edit: When you already bought forward grips, they help a lot learning a weapon
  10. omfgweeee

if u plan to play la in future my advice is to level your jump jets at least at rank 3 or 4 and get granade bando or nanoware armor maxed.
  11. Dreez

Buy Dual weapons for your MAX.. Anything else i would rate secondary. The ability to spawn a properly certed MAX
    can change a fight in a moment. I have fully certed Medic, Engineer, Vanguard, Infilitrator... but nothing comes close to
    as much fun and useful as my maxed out MAX with Ravens, Scatters and Bursters - best certinvestment ever.
  12. Dreez

Not to derail the thread, but certing the reload on MBT's main weapon is a waste, reduces reload by 0.3sec per shot at max rank...
    you're not going to notice much, and it costs a ton of cert. Better to spend those on a Halberd or Enforcer.
  13. lukenukeum

Gonna go ahead and suggest the max upgrades sadly. Dual ravens on a max are just too much OP fun... enjoy them before the nerf tho.

If not the ravens get dual bursters so u can blow any annoying air problems out of the sky.
  14. QuakerOatsMan

It really depends on your playstyle, or your goals. If you play engy a lot (or spawn vehicles often), then maxing out the repair tool or adding a bit into the ammo pack cert line is a must. Likewise for the med tools if you play medic, but these listed are usually the best investments for reliable cert income, especially for players who have a hard time killing.

Generally, starting out by purchasing the 1k weapons off the bat may not be the best choice, but go with what makes the game more enjoyable for you. Although if you really want new weapons, first try them out in VR, then activate their trials (the blue button at the bottom of the item purchase confirmation box) to decide whether you really want to buy them (e.g.: skyguard, but it probably won't net you very many certs compared to other options).

Also, vehicle cert lines are usually a pretty heavy cert investment to get up to par with what's out there, so you should probably treat them as a longer-term goal (though some may be able to do just fine with ~500 certs dumped into basic/bare minimum cert lines).
  15. kungflu

max sundy proximity repair, passive healing as medic and hide in your sundy. in no time you will gain back your thousand certs
  16. KirthGersen

Such wow. Please tell me moar about tanks and what to cert there:D

Max certed reload on AP is a must, especially for Prowler where -0.5s (not 0.3, that's for lightning) means you get 2.0s reload.
    It's not just noticeable, it's critically important.
    Max reload requires 2250 certs what can be earned in a few evenings of typical good tanking.
    Halberd and/or ES secondary is a must too, same as a gunner for it, cuz solo MBT is a bad idea mostly.
  17. The Rogue Wolf

Maxed-out repair and healing tools are printing presses for certs if you spend any time playing support. After that, I'd suggest a couple of ranks for ammo packs and healing field, nanoweave armor for your favorite class, and then start reading guides for whatever class and playstyle you feel works best for you.
  18. Elsewhere

I would say it largely depends on if you have a preference for a certain type of playstyle. No point recommending vehicle options if the OP plays infantry for 95% of his play time.

The only vehicle advice I would recommend is getting a Sunderer Walker instead of a lightling Skyguard. Both serve a very similar role, but the Walker is 250 certs cheaper, and also get more benefit by gaining AMS + Logistics certs/ribbons at the same time if using a vehicle repair/ammo slot. Plus, with a Deploy Shield are much more durable. Sunderers are much more useful/flexible in the long run, and have cert `overlap` than a niche Skyguard which is very specific.

That said, it largely depends if you want to be a generalist, or have found the 1-2 classes you really enjoy playing. If generalist, there are a lot of relatively low costing items which offer a large value per cert cost. Med kits 1+2 for 150 certs. Darklight Flashlight for pistol for 100. Rank 3-4 in most suit slots and class abilities* are good value.

*If playing Medic for any considerable length of time, max out healing tool ASAP. Its one of the few items I recommend maxing out early and the last rank is only 500 instead of the usual 1000 other cert lines are. The difference between rank 5 + 6 is huge and you will be glad you did.

TLDR - Its very hard to make recommendations until the OP tells us his preferred playstyle. Tanker, Pilot or Infantry. Front lines or Support, etc etc.
  19. KirthGersen

I've suggested AP cannon(s) because it's a good investment for further cert grinding in most of the fights.
    Certing up medic and engies is a good idea too.
    I'd also suggest certing up AI MAX, especially scattermax or pounder max (I hate TR MAX cyclers), but it has a limited role and good grinding is possible only in biolab defence.

If we're talking about getting some guns for LA or Infil just for fun, well, there's a lot of choices.

Oh wait, I forgot lolpods and AI nose cannon for ESF! OP, if you can fly at least a bit, it's a must IMO.
    FARM FARM FARM:)
  20. Halkesh

If you're new to PS2, that's the cert you should buy :
    • Every 1 cert upgrade
    • Squad beacon rank 1 (30 cert)
    • Sunderer shield (30 cert)
    • "Your main vehicle" Nanite Auto Repair (30 to 150 cert)
    • Bolt action sniper rife (100 cert, NC have it for free)
    • AA Guided RL (250 cert, allow you to don't feel totally useless against airplane)
    • MAX AV weapon (250 cert, allow you to fight against both vehicle and infantry)
    • Forward grip on the weapons you use the most.
    • 2nd C4 on at least 1 class (700 cert)

Then, after you get all of these, you should buy other weapons.
    • Engineer - AV mana turret (1000 cert)
    • Medic - TAR / HV-45 / AR-Carnage (250 cert, medic CQC weapon)
    • HA - TMG-50 / Polaris / EM6 (500 cert, HA accurate and affordable weapon)
    • LA & engineer - (no idea)
    • Sniper - Ram .50 / Longshot / Paralax (1000 cert)

Don't buy a weapon, even if a BR100 recommended it to you, unless you have tested it in VR training.