Lattice is so boring

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by x7xBillyDaKidx7x, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Who Garou

What server is this happening on?
  2. Hosp

That's a straw man argument.
  3. stalkish

are you realy arguing semantics now?
    • a sustained fight between large organized armed forces.
    • struggle tenaciously to achieve or resist something
    2 definitions of a battle given by google (yes im lazy), says nothing about how congested it was.
    Some of the harshest battles in the vietnam war were fought on small hillsides with 100s of troops attempting to storm entrenched machine guns emplacements, were those not battles? WW1 trench battles were also very close quarters.

If you dont enjoy the type of battles planetside has to offer..............

To answer your question:
    Indar
    Crossroads / regent rock / allatum bio triangle is brilliant for large tank fights, had one there last night infact, excellent.
    Howling pass / east canyon / mao area also good place, corals for cover, small crevices, flat land, good place for tanks.
    Quartze / Indar ex, grindy and ever lasting but a good palce to fight vehicles, especially when indar ex and quartze are owned by the same empire.

Esamir
    Any part of the ice river, eg grey herron / north point / apex genetics triangle.
    Anywhere along the Jaegers Frostbite Bridgeward river including area around crash site.
    Octagon (or whatever its called now)
    Palos / Snowshear is good and id include the traverse aswel.

Plenty of opportunities for flanking, distance shelling, and all out brawling in any of those areas, certainly not armoured monkeys sligning ****, and there is defo more area, just cant think of them off the top of my head.

Amerish im not as familiar with the names of places, but im sure areas like the area around the bastion are decent. Amerish is a flankers map, lots of 'old goat paths' around mountains that even a vanguard can get up. Had an excellent vehicle fight around one of the bio labs the other day, the one with the deep gourge right next to it xelas i believe.

Hossin is similar to Amerish but i rarely go there these days so i defo cant give you names.
  4. axiom537

What this game needs is a modification of the existing Lattice system and implementing a few elements from the HEX system. This game Absolutely needs a lattice system to provide structure to the map, but if we could add HEX/Adjacency elements on the map it would help open it up a little bit and allow for more dynamics in attacking and defending...

HYBRID LATTICE/HEX - This is my suggestion...
  5. axiom537

You could never capture a base by cutting off territory under the HEX system and cap it with influence without having to attack and hold points in a base...That was never a feature of this game...

The problem with the HEX system is that it is impossible to defend territory. Defending under the HEX system is a lose/lose situation, sure people might sit in a Bio-Lab all night long, but the attackers would simply by-pass the lab once they got sick of being farmed and take all of the surrounding territory...If you decide to defend under the HEX system, then the attackers simply chose the path of least resistance and simply by-passed the defended base, the only strategy that ever worked under the EHX system was to attack, defending was never a viable option.

I agree the Lattice isn't perfect, but the HEX system was a nightmare and the only reason it seemed viable was because the populations were so large at launch...We need the Lattice to provide structure on the map, so that we can have defensive strategies, otherwise we will go back to Zerg forces that simply roam around the map following the path of least resistances, with no chance for defenders to get in front of said force and set up a defense, that does not allow the attackers to by-pass.

Personally I favor a Hybrid of the Lattice/Hex system - Under this sort of system, we still have the lattice linking the major bases, which allows defenders to defend territory, but then we would have a HEX/Adjacency capture system in the smaller outposts that surround those main bases, that would allow attackers to take different approaches around lattice linked bases and if they manage to capture all of the surrounding outposts around a lattice link base, then we could have a siege capture mechanic, that would force the defenders to come out or lose the main base through attrition.
  6. Bloodlet

People are still beating this dead horse? Lattice is fine and if you lag then get a better PC.
  7. Vaphell

Define how small hillside is, i doubt it's 100m across like broken arch road. Also WW1 trench battles is not something that one should look to for inspiration, it was old dudes not having a clue that the world had progressed since the 19th century and sending people to die.

Yes, in fact i don't because 95% of them is about stacking 200 bodies on a single impassable choke or a cap point. It got old long time ago. On the 21st century Earth a single tank would level the **** out of these pathetic 'outposts' in under 2 minutes.
    You are apprarently under this mistaken belief that MASSIVE is supposed to mean MASSIVE density. What about massive dimensions? The only massive battles remotely worth the name were pre-lattice facilities where cap points + 3 satellites were fought over simultaneously. Massive density is an invitation to spam HE, massive density also means that smart actions you perform are meaningless. Flanking gets weaker-to-useless, brute force gets stronger.

Another thing is that in real life there is a pyramid. You have lots of infantry, fewer vehicles, even fewer air. Not so in PS2 where there is zero problem in pulling so many tanks that they can form a full circle around the smurf village, while 1 soul flips the point. Yep, that's a compelling gameplay being trapped by 30 tanks in a base offering zero protection to its owners.
    • Up x 1
  8. axiom537

This is a problem, but it is more the result of each empire having a home continent, then because of the lattice system. Yes, this wasn't an issue under the HEX system, but that was because it was impossible to defend territory under the HEX system and attackers would simple by-pass you and go where ever they chose.

If we removed the Home continents and instead those warpgates simply linked to other continents, then we would see factions push towards these warpgates and then be able to push through the warpgates to either another continent or to push a faction off of a continent.

My suggestion is to instead of each faction having a home warpgate, we should each have ONE Orbiting Sanctuary over auraxis and we use this orbiting station to drop on the different continents to bases we controlled and the warpgates become exactly as their name implies, which is warpgates that allow us to link to other continents and open new avenues of attack.
    • Up x 1
  9. Reclaimer77

I prefer small tactical fights where my platoon can really make a difference. Which THRIVED under the HEX system.

Being part of the zerg is fine on occasion. But the Lattice, in my opinion, has turned the game into a mindless team-deathmatch zergfest where nothing you do has any meaning or consequence. It's boring, it's predictable, it's not fun.

Farm or be Farmed, with nothing in between. That's what the game feels like now.

I like your suggestion. I mean, it's worth a try. Why not?
    • Up x 1
  10. Hicksimus

ITT: People argue over issues caused by much deeper problems while ignoring reality.

This game is hollow at the core and we can argue all day about lettuce versus hax and battle density, etc but we need to go deeper.

As an example that applies to this thread: There is next to no meta-game and that means most people are just playing for score....so what does the scoring system favor? Kills, resupply. What situation is most rewarding given this system? Zerg. What was wrong with hex? Having to accept a massive score reduction to fight off ghost capping for negative reward and/or arriving as the only defender versus 5 attackers because nobody else is willing to defend. Lattice is the lazy bandaid to a deep issue. But look at it another way...properly implemented mechanics could make the lattice work nicely. For example the more people up a lattice line the less resources they get so a charging zerg stresses their resource income to near 0(I'm not saying this is what would fix it, I'm making 1 simple suggestion).

TLDR: Hex and Lattice are both viable systems that are let down by the Developer releasing a half-baked game with a hollow core and no intention of finishing it.
    • Up x 1
  11. Reclaimer77

Sorry doesn't work. In Planetside 1 we tried all kinds of artificial mechanics to get people to play a certain way, or herd the zerg to this base or that. Or offer XP for etc etc.

It doesn't work. Waste of time imo.
  12. FateJH

According to the changelog history for Planetside Classic patches, there wasn't as much forward-backward with the experience provisioning. They updated how squad experience is rewarded more than once but other than that it looks like experience-related matters thing were tinkered with little. There's also the unnumbered patches but the only thing of note there appears to be the "first-time experience" being fixed and the 2009 "Spooktacular Bonus Experience Days."
    Unless you're referring to some aspect of the Merit Commendation system.
    Can you elaborate?
  13. Reclaimer77

Dude that was a long time ago. I just remember them tweaking this or that, but it never seemed to change much in how players played the game.

There was also a huge "support XP" push to take the focus off of killing. But you KNOW that didn't work.
  14. Ripfield

Thank you. That nails it in very few, yet very understandable words. Crying for a more easier/accessible game made this sh-t possible.
    It´s always the same when dumb wins, because thereby it wonderfully manages biting in its own **** to chew right away in all confidence there is available. Poor fate for poor boys, that is.
    Of course nowadays the majority of the playerbase is lost without lattice or something equally shoving them into the lag-spike-fighting and renderdistance issues they commanded to have above all else; but that is only because the rest leaves this game since a long time, not seldomly appalled by the downgrading and dumbing down of previous content and/or meta.

We as a whole especially failed to keep the smart leaders, the ones who should make things interesting for all of us on the battlefield.
    P.S.: Of course it has all been written down in the "art of war" by Sun-Tzu thousands of years ago, goes like:

"Once you cater to the common man: you have lost the smart ones."
  15. stalkish

You defo play a diff game to me.
    Not the planetside i play.
    There is always ALWAYS more infantry than vehicles, your hyperbole is funny tho.

A hillside is a hillside, I didnt realise i was talking to a pre-school kid with no life experience. If you absolutely must know then look it up, there is a defined height limit (amoung other things) on hills before they become mountains.

Flanking a densly popluated area is extremely profitable, its also alot of fun and a challenge since just rolling up and shooting will attract the entire zerg to your presence. The skills required arnt for everyone, try it some time, you might enjoy it.

So if you dont like 95% of the game........why are you playing it, even more strange is why you'd waste your time debating such things on a forum for a game that you dislike?
    I honestly am confused as to why you dont just say 'eh planetside isnt my idea of a good game' and go find greener pastures instead of 'im going to try and change a game to my liking, because for some reason i play it, even tho i dislike it'.

Im no fanboi, theres alot of o_O in this game, alot id change if i was higgles, but it doesnt stop me playing it and i dont demand massive changes or steps backwards. We've learned twice now what happenes when there is no lattice, it was the same thing 13 yrs ago with ps1, random action with no direct focus.

In regards to your massive comment, well i class massive as loading up an entire island, being able to chose which fight within that island i want to partake in, travelling to that fight and getting involved. Massive to me is 100s of players in the same area, i dont class small scale fights as massive, i can get that from 1000s of games over the years.

The bio lab has to be looked at seperately, its an infantry only area surrounded by supporting bases, not your typical PS2 scenario. Personaly ive always felt the satellite bases were far too big, id prefer smaller infantry only towers (no vehicle spawns) surrounding the dome that can be taken by anyone (not on the grid so to speak), this then gives you better access to the dome. TBH id remove the whole thing and re-think bio labs if i were in charge because i just dont like them at all tbh, but alas i just deal with it, funny concept that isnt it, i dont consider myself so important that i should attempt to ruin what others enjoy especialy when there is alot of other places to fight within the game and failing that, millions of other games to try.
  16. maxkeiser

Hex was better in every respect - it allowed a full sandbox game with full power given to players (and leaders) to plan their attacks.

I'm still staggered that people asked to have their freedoms taken away from them.

The finest moments in PS2, without question, were with the old alerts under the hex system.
    • Up x 2
  17. stalkish

I like how you seem to view anyone with a different opinion as yourself as less than you, or uneducated, or 'dumb' realy shows your open mind and willingness to at least try and see others point of view.
    Dont worry tho its something you learn with age < see i can throw baseless insults around aswel, doesnt make me look very good does it?

Also some people see those 'smart leaders' as self obsessed armchair generals who think they have a right to decide how people play a game (yes this is a GAME). Not me personally, but that is a point of view some people hold.

This game lost its intellectual appeal long long ago, way before lattice, as soon as they decided it was going to be a 'twitch shooter for casual players' any sense of real strategy died, only people fooling themselves thought any different. Take some examples, stronghold for every empire on each cont, short TTK (not shortest but ive seen way longer), availability of everything to everyone (unlocks limiting but thats simply time played, nothing skill related), lock-ons lock-ons and more lock-ons, 1 shot kill weapons, quick knife, etc.....

TBH i think this is the problem alot of people have, their expectations are completely diff from the actual game, but instead of saying 'i was wrong, its not like i thought' and either adapting or quiting, they demand the game be made to their expectations. This is a kill spam game, there is nothing more to it, position yourself to get the most kills possible in the shortest amount of time, there is nothing else to it....at all, base caps are just a way of moving the killing around the map.

Funny thing is i actualy agree with you for the most part, im just not as insulting (well i hope im not, apologies if i am). The game has realy been dumbed down from its predecessor, ive simply decided to say 'to hell with it, ill just farm till im bored' not bored yet but when i am i can guarantee i just wont play any more, i wont belittle those who do and i wont demand changes to make it more my sort of game.
    • Up x 1
  18. Vaphell

In PS2 i can set up a waypoint and get a 99% accurate measurement, while in case of your vietnam example i have to trust your judgement of what small is and if you go with the technical definition or the common one where hill is a mound of dirt with grass and **** and the mountain is all pointy, covered in snow and impressive looking.
    In the real world The Crown would be considered tiny, but it's pretty big by PS standards with 90% of bases being way way below in terms of the area affected and fought over.

The point is the experience you can find near the crown should be the bare minimum. everything below the size of towers could disappear an nothing of value would be lost.

Profitable as in raking in certs? Because the opportunity to turn the big meatgrinder around is small and pretty much nonexistent if you are a lowly peasant.

PS2 is or at least was my idea of a game (but i would prefer it implemented in a non ******** way for non *******). Also let's not forget that i subscribed when SOE advertised it as a sandbox experience. I recognize the flaws of the old hex but I didn't want lattice, if only because meatgrinders kill my fps and that the static farm for hours enabled by it is not my idea of fun. Also let's not forget that there were fewer force multipliers around, while today every **** with 2 brain cells to rub together can pull them no problem.

No we've learned what it means to have a 5 1-hex territories to go from a capped territory and accelerated caps due to adjacency. Lattice was not the only change introduced, there were also significant changes to cap mechanics so it's intellectually dishonest to say it's a black n white hex vs lattice affair. Do you think you could avoid the enemy if the Rashnu megahex bordered Mao megahex and all these pathetic shacks in between were nothing but a cover good for leapfrogging, not unlike that thing between Quartz and IndEx?
    Would you allow them to take your tech plant only because you want a biolab? Oh look, suddenly avoidance is not a good idea and you don't need a line on the map to tell you that.

For me 'massive' means 'as far as the eye can see'. That's not the case here, where more often than not it's just a string of Q1 sized TDM maps but with no loading screen in between, with too many people and opportunistic farmers in skillchariots parked around the place.
    For force mutlipliers to have any strategic value they need to be scarce enough so that they can't be everywhere at the drop of the hat. If you have a tank and need it in 3 different places you have to consider pros and cons of each scenario and prioritize, that leads to meaningful tactical and strategic choices. When you need tanks in 3 places and can drop a dozen on each of them, it's no wits, all bruteforce spam.
    'Massive' as in '100 dudes in a single building' is so idiotic that the words cannot even describe the stupidity of the concept. With the increased density the incentive to spam AoE anything goes through the roof. Is a rain of grenades a compelling gameplay? No **** the MAX and the rocket primary are the kings of these massive "battles". No **** OP LAs are accused of farming infantry with OP C4 - i would too if i could drop a brick onto a clump and score 10 kills with a press of a button. All of these are the concequences of this intellect offending massiveness.

Biolabs are a travesty and i wouldn't shed a tear if they vanished today.
    The pre-lattice Amerish techplants on the other hand were pure gold imo. You had a battle aprox 1km across and every inch of it saw actual action. There was a lot of varied terrain giving enough cover to peasants so they were not a free food for everybody else, there was a lot of movement, tanks rolling back and forth fighting for supremacy and infantry taking goat paths through rock formations to avoid being farmed and to iron out the kinks of the order established by tanks. Having [A] was not all there was to the siege/defense because the satellite outposts could make or break the battle and you had to control them to secure a victory. You had to keep an eye on everything. That was engaging, the **** we have today is not. If you are big enough you can just bulldoze because lattice lines disallow any smart strategic movement the numerically inferior enemy could do to even the scales.
    • Up x 1
  19. LibertyRevolution

Yes, you could.. 4 point biolabs you could cap the area around it cutting it off, then take D, the outside point, and it would flip.
    This forced the attackers to come out of the dome and and recap D, or retake a satellite base, or lose the dome.

Now you can't as there is no influence system, so now you have to flip 3 points on a 4 point base to have the timer count down...

I'm sorry you missed the days of Hex+Influance, it was a much a better system.

They have done nothing but dumb this game down and turn it more and more into a meatgrinder since launch...
    • Up x 1
  20. P4nda

Plays the MMO with the biggest battles in history.

Says battles are too big.

/-logic