Lattice is so boring

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by x7xBillyDaKidx7x, Feb 9, 2015.

1. x7xBillyDaKidx7x

Lattice is boring and causes way to much lag. In big battles with all the tanks ,aircraft and infantry in one territory its a little much. Do away with lattice and split the fights up . To predictable where enemies are going and really boring trying to out zerg the other factions !! Was so much a better game when being able to take other territories and have better game play !!
    • Up x 17
  2. LibertyRevolution

I agree, I preferred hex + influence system.
    I would rather have to play whack a mole from time to time than have to choose between zerg or be zerged all of the time..
    Too bad we are the minority..
    • Up x 18
  3. Copasetic

Even at prime time I usually see a handful of bases along the front line that aren't being fought over, go to one of those.
    • Up x 2
  4. CipherNine

Uncontested bases during prime time? Which server?

On Miller you'd have to pick least populated continent to find uncontested bases and even then things could go wrong because some 1337 outfits might be thinking the same thing.
  5. NinjaTurtle

The idea behind the lattice is good, it concentrates fights and stop or aims to stop ghost capping

Problem is the current set up in various parts of the map force deadlock. The ground between Indar Ex and Quartz Ridge for example is just a massive road block and the fight never moves. It is just a tug of war between these 2 bases because as soon as the populations hit 48+-96+ you are funneled to easily into a huge farming grinder.

The lattice links need a few adjustments

I would be in a favor of a hybrid system whereby only main bases are linked by lattice and small outposts are hex influenced
    • Up x 6
  6. stalkish

Size does matter
    Bigger = Better
    Mean anything to you??? These were the slogans used to advertise the game, why did you expect to have small fights?

I played Destiny the other day, didnt like it, so i hoped on the forum and demanded it be changed to my liking.......no wait i didnt, i just didnt play it again......

Gone are the days of accepting a game for what it is, is PS2 perfect, hell no, is it 'good' enough imo to play, yes.
    Enough with the 'make this my game' crap already, it gets boring.
    • Up x 6
  7. LibertyRevolution

You do realize that at launch there was no lattice, right? So your destiny example makes no sense..

I liked the game with Hex + influence, it was a deeper game, one where you could cut off a territory and cap it with influence..
    You could take a biolab without having to be farmed attacking the dome, you could take all the hexes around it, then take D outside the dome, and you could slow cap forcing the defenders to come out and fight for the satellite bases or lose the biolab...

You think that the game is better on rush mode, just one map after another on the line, being funneled into a meatgrinder...
    I think the game was better when it was conquest mode, when it was actually a MASSIVE sandbox MMOFPS..
    • Up x 4
  8. stalkish

And you do realise that the release version of the game was not how the devs intended the game to play, hence why they changed it maybe.....ill repeat, again....
    Size does matter
    Bigger = Better
    Which part of that suggests chasing ghosts around a map and having 6v6 infantry fights with maybe 1 or 2 sundys.
    I never saw large scale tank battles like we get now, i never saw a fight last longer than 3 mins, i never saw more than 50 people in the same hex (crown exception).
    Ive no idea what rush mode is, sorry.
    I think you use the word massive incorrectly, like i said 6v6 fights arnt massive, chasing the same 2 infils around a map is not massive, fighting a fight for 2 hours with 100s and 100s of friendly players jumping in, ESF straffing, tanks flanking and sundys pumping troops out into an endless fight is planetside, it is massive, it was this for 10 years it will continue to be this.

Theres plenty of small scale FPS games out there that dont do large scale battles (battles, it was battles that this game was advertised on, not strategy).
    • Up x 2
  9. MikeyGeeMan

Eh. lattice dies cause bigger fights cause well you can't go anywhere else to help take territory.

The claim that it stopped ghost calling is false. Emerald hossin last night for example. No one on the continent and guys were just going base to base.

In that respect lattice was just designed to make bigger fights. It takes away a LOT of flexibility and creativity in how you attack and defend.

Lattice could be tweaked in a way that would be beneficial for the game.

As it stands right now objectives are not the objectives, its getting your farm on and racking up the certs. And lets face it putting map lines that you have to follow in an "open world" environment is like fencing your dog in. He's safer bit definitely not all happy
    • Up x 2
  10. Copasetic

Miller, during an alert on the alert continent. I could take some screenshots next time if you'd like.

Course you're going to get absolutely steam rolled by redeploying zergfits once you attack it, but that would happen in a hex system too.
  11. FateJH

If no one goes to the base to resecure it, no one goes to a base to resecure it (a true ghost cap has you flip the point, then evacuate the region). At the very least, the lattice forces limitations to a completely unattended region and actually helps manage regions that get stuck as being underpopulated, which was a major issue with the pure hex. "Have only enough forces to defend two bases? too bad, five adjacent bases have become available and there's large groups of enemy on all of them already." Additionally, back before lattice, we already suggested the only proper way to resolve ghost capping - an attacker must always remain on the point for it to stay flipped - but SOE did not see fit to implement the option back then. At least, finally, they realized the importance of reinforcing good player behavior by implementing support experience for sticking close to the capture point.
    Temple Grandin designed curved corrals, corridors to guide cattle (among other animals), with the intention that those corrals reduce stress, panic and injury in the animals being led to slaughter. The aim was not to change the outcome but to increase the comfort and treatement as the individuals progressed to the outcome. I am being metaphoric, but not for the aims of denigrating the lattice. The rolling and fluid well-maintained front line was a lofty goal that this game was still much further from accomplishing before it.

I agree with the current rise of lattice-hex hybrid suggestions, but do need to press for fewer better-designed bases all the same.
  12. Reclaimer77

I log in night after night, and it feels like I'm fighting at the same three or four bases. Night after night.

There are literally dozens of bases that now see ZERO action. The lattice system has killed variety, it's nerfed tactics, it's just made the game boring.

Honestly I don't see myself playing this game for much longer.
    • Up x 5
  13. somefriggnidiot

The only time I ever liked hex was when taking a biolab. However, this hybrid idea is interesting. Lattice on large outposts and facilities with hex on small outposts could really mess things up, though. Look at the Western side of Indar. Want to take Suarva? Easy. SW Warpgate -> Ceres Farms -> Highlands Solar -> H. South -> H. North -> A. Research -> West Highlands -> Indar Com -> CoraMed -> S. South -> Suarva

Were the hybrid idea to become viable, it would need some serious hex tweaking to prevent mad dashes to large facilities that completely avoid ANY large outposts. But maybe that could be the gimmick. They'd only have so many options that way, anyway.
  14. z1967

Hex was horrible. It was a living hell to put up any defense except at major bases where you knew your enemy would attack. They could attack 2-5 bases after they cap, making it too hard to guess where they were gonna be. If you aren't there defending pre-emptively, you start at a disadvantage in an already attacker sided game.

Hex was bad, Lattice was an improvement but needs work. Eventually we will reach the ideal area we want to be for capturing and routing forces.
    • Up x 2
  15. FateJH

I don't think it would too much of a problem. If you can't capture surrounding bases along the major base lattice, attackers are reliant entirely on local soft spawns and all of their surroundings are dangerous because the defenders could engage from any base. Even if you capture the major base, the defenders, now the attackers doing resecuring, could attackf rom anywhere unless you have a force also pushing up using the hex-based system. Pushing up to larger bases through smaller base fights also means you risk getting dragged into those smaller base fights.
    [IMG]
    This is just an example of a single continent major-lattice (so please don't scrutinize any logic behind it). Think about a force pushing to Hvar from Dahaka, while that force's allies were still mired in the local smaller base battles around the Quartz Ridge area. The atackers have to facilitate not only local soft spawns in Hvar but, if they really want any kind of staying power, maintain soft spawns in bases around Hvar that they don't own and can't contest.
  16. 4wry

The lattice system has its purposes and should stay in the game. However, I do recognize the desire for players wanting smaller fights. Taking away the lattice system won't solve that.

The issue really is that there is no lobby where one e.g. could chose a smaller map/server, as in most other games. I'll post a suggestion for a potential approach separately.

For now, you're confined to actively seek the appropriate fight.
    • Up x 1
  17. Vaphell

So that's why they packed the maps every 300m with smurf villages with 3 buildings each, causing severe brain damage above 24v24 and left no space where you could pack these 30+ tanks and see them move?
    Where do you have true tank battles that don't look like 2 rows of armored monkeys flinging **** at each other for hours? You call these travesties 'battles'?
    • Up x 1
  18. Syphers

Yeah I liked the hexes better they should have just toned it down a little. The render range in huge zergs is quite anticlimactic anyway, the lattice worsened users and servers performance issues without doubt. Too much people/spam/information cramped in the same areas instead of being spread more evenly.
    • Up x 1
  19. Hosp

Time for a reminder...

This was posted back in Jan, 2014.
    • Up x 6
  20. Tommyp2006

The only thing that lattice has actually killed is people's ability to think outside the lines.
    • Up x 2