I would pay $20/month for a subscription based Planetside

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RasFW, Feb 2, 2015.

1. sjtw_w_stot

20 is way too much for this game. Not enough content and it's too broken in its current state. Only 4 continents which 2 always seem to be locked... :/
    Once repaired, some new added features/content and more servers to ease the load, then perhaps... But keep in mind if you're going to pay the same amount as lets say a battle.net account, then the game should have the same amount of game content & diverse playability options.

Plus, why pay 20 a month when you can buy a game from a store for 60 and be done with it. $5.00 a month sounds right.
    • Up x 1
  2. DonAlfrago

Great, if you can get 2 more - you will have 3 factions represented on 4 continets!
  3. Nocturnal7x

I know a lot of people would have liked to see a more PS1 like PS2. But SOE was interested in a cash grab, and they did a bad job attaining that goal.

Maybe if a PS3 ever exists it will be more like PS1 and less like BF.
  4. Pointyguide2

of course stuff will change with subscription
    this is a massively multiplayer online first person shooter
    with subscription the massively part will be removed. the giant maps will have to be cut down to size
    lots of changes.
    in other words death
    unless somehow this game becomes as popular as the world of Warcraft thing with millions of subscriptions.
  5. RasFW

I haven't been able to post all week, being that work doesn't allow me to log into forumside and all... Here's a wall of text for you to read.

I feel that the F2P model, which depends on a cash shop and selling cosmetics/weapons to survive/thrive, has diluted the personality of the game. Planetside 1 had a definite personality. When I played PS1, I felt like I was part of an army on an alien world. Advancing through the ranks and specializing my character made me feel like a unique piece in the giant chess game.

Planetside 2 feels more like a money sink. Don't get me wrong, the game is fun, but it doesn't have that same feeling that Planetside 1 did. And it never will. I know there are separate teams for pushing through performance patches, weapons, continents, and cosmetics, but in the end they're all out to make money. I feel like too much effort is spent endlessly expanding a cash shop and pumping out silly cosmetics at way too high a price and not enough time is spent actually making a truly unique game.

Planetside 1's class-less inventory system and certification system could not exist in Planetside 2. If you limit the way people can build their characters, you limit your potential sales. If a player specializes in heavy assault, lets say, through a PS1 cert system, he probably will NOT buy those reaver tail fins or that magrider plating armor/hood ornament. Because he hasn't certed into it and cannot use it.

As a result of the inability to limit people's playstyles, you will make it nigh on IMPOSSIBLE to implement an asymmetrical balance between infantry, vehicles, aircraft and empires. Everyone having access to everything means everything must be at least in part balanced on a 1v1 basis. In Planetside 1, if you were a vehicle oriented character and you had your basic med and engineer, you probably had limited weapons for indoor fighting. Other players that have specialized had access to straight up more powerful indoor fighting weapons, and had a clear upper hand. It didn't make it overpowered, because indoors they were king, but outdoors you were king. I liked that. It was a genius way to let there be an asymmetrical balance between vehicles and classes in the game. You could be overpowered in one area, maybe two, but not the everything.

I'm not saying my $20 a month should be enough to build a game around my desires. I'm saying that I would be more than willing to be one of many subscribers to a truly unique MMO FPS experience that brings back that feeling from when I first played Planetside. I spend more than that on a gym membership (excluding protein supplements), and more than twice that on a flying club. $20 would sound steep for a game, but its a price I'd be more than happy to pay for the game I want to play. Not everyone will, so I refer you to the third post in this thread - any player would be able to play free up to a certain battle rank. Afterwards, they can choose to subscribe, or play a limited role on the battlefield. That's the price you pay for free.
    • Up x 1
  6. CorporationUSA

And $240 a year for a sub isn't?
    • Up x 1
  7. Crator

I agree with you on the points about PS1 and how the certifications worked in it. But, do you really think they are going to drop the entire monitization system in PS2 and revamp the entire class system? I think not. Plus, I think they make more money on the F2P system anyways. Everyone says the F2P system failed but I haven't seen anyone show evidence of that.
  8. RasFW

I don't mean to sound argumentative, but I didn't say the F2P system was a failure. Its working, obviously, or we wouldn't have a game.

I'm expressing my interest in a true re-make of Planetside 1, and my willingness to pay a relatively large subscription if it were to bring back that old-timey feel and battle flow. Planetside 1 destroys Planetside 2 in gameplay on the scale larger than a single base. The "shoot the other guy" parts of the game - Planetside 2 wins.
  9. ZBrannigan

i don't think anyone thinks they will, though there's always hope. anyone disappointed with PS2 and played PS1 will obviously come to the PS forums to talk about it though. maybe theres some other dev reading.

it makes money in the same way a 'gambling' arcade makes money, people who can't help themselves keep putting money into a machine that says on the front it will never pay out more than 80% of what's put in.......... but flashing lights and beep boop......... they keep putting money in.
    not to mention the obsessive compulsive completion-ists.
    seems a little immoral targeting those people as your main revenue stream. especially when there are others saying "we have money! and WILL pay you every month!! can you make the game we want please?"
    companies used to love people paying specific amounts every month!
  10. vincent-

Oh to further state this I play an hour or 2 max I can't spare a game anymore than that unless a very special event is going but I don't do that much either so in the end I wouldn't pay. Most of us have lives and work outside of this game.

You shouldn't expect people to pay for something that isn't any at all deep, you can't compare this with an rpg mmo either we come here to shoot each other there isn't much too it.

If you want the most out of it keep it free, for those who pay either want some advantage in some ways or too look cool. I can drop dollars for that but my time is my own and I value it the way I want too.
  11. Takara

When it doesn't feel like a money sink....I don't mind. What he means is....PS2...is kind of like gambling where the best you can do is get your money back.

I payed 15$ a month for PS1 And I never regretted a dime of it. There was a fine community, the game was stable...they had CSR's in game at nearly all hours monitoring for cheaters. They had events that were actually fun. There was more than one way to win a fight.....there was more than one way to beat a zerg....the game actually rewarded teamwork.

Eh...as a whole it had a larger and better foundation. Never once did they release a patch that broke the game...or release a patch with PPA orbs the size of a biolab....yea they actually tried! Here...I feel like they take your money then instantly put it into another game well they find the cheapest guy they can get to man the servers for PS2 :-/
  12. CazadorDeLaBruja

ive spent just under $2,000 but ive played this game for 2 years. I feel this valuable asset could have been managed better.
  13. RasFW

I don't mean Planetside 2 is a gamble in any respect. The devs have created a game that attracts people to play and its fun. And you buy exactly what you want (except maybe implants). I actually like the part where players can create items to sell in the shop - and most player created items have been pretty awesome looking. There could be a place for that in this "game" I'm talking about. But I feel that Planetside 2 lacks any depth. Run, shoot, stand on a point, camp a spawn room, repeat,

Planetside 1 had a deeper gameplay in it that confused the living daylights out of the new player. But the game was deep. Battles had multiple somewhat-defined stages. There was breaching the continent and getting a foothold at a main facility. Then there was securing the courtyard if you had to. Then there was repairing and refueling the base. Then you got to the open area vehicle battles that actually happened between main bases. Then breaching walls and securing the courtyard, setting up AMSes inside and mining the NTU silo, breaching the base through the main lobby, roof, vehicle bay or the back door. Hacking and holding the control console and finally capturing the base.

If that was too difficult, you had a TON of options. A team could be sent to the next base in the lattice to drop the generator and/or spawn tubes to stop the defenders from immediately setting up a defense once you kicked them out of the previous base. If they stopped you and you couldn't beat their tanks in the open fields, you went to their tech plants and did generator holds.

Planetside 2 battle flow happens about as follows (at the moment). Spawn at a base on any continent because you always have a foothold. Capture 1/2/3 points and lock the defenders in their spawn room. Proceed to camp the spawn on both sides until the base flips. Have a small vehicle battle because bases are generally too close together and too easy to breach/lock down and repeat.
    • Up x 1
  14. Crator

Agreed. They do have intercontinental lattice and base resource drain planned for PS2 so hopefully that will help a lot to give PS2 more dynamics.

I always thought there should be something tied to Battle Rank (other then more inventory slots). Something like higher tiered weapons that are only available to those with higher Battle Rank. *Higher tiered weapons/utilities should never be related to the monitization system. Another thing I liked about PS1 is you could tell if someone was higher battle rank because of the look of their armor. I know this one might be harder to do in PS2 because of cosmetics but maybe they could tie certain cosmetics to higher battle ranks too...
  15. ZBrannigan

thats entirely true, people pay for netflix and stuff though, and they're not watching films 24/7 either.
    paying for a service no one uses constantly isn't out of the ordinary.

you and some others come here to just shoot each other, some of us want 'more'.
    and while you can't compare it to an rpg mmo, you can compare it to PS1........... because it's supposed to be a sequel, hence the '2' added to the 'planetside' name.

thats what you have right now, some paying and some not, paying getting an advantage, if everyone payed subscription there would be no disparity there. no advantage, and less ability for hackers to just get a new account.
    luckily, all games aren't made on the sole criteria of whether you personally will be willing or able to pay or play it ;)
  16. vincent-

Those people still have the money to do it. I'm just stating I don't make a lot of money and find what I can to be entertained.

Never played planetside1 the SOE game I paid and played was SWG and yes the shooting each other is not enough but I don't know what else you think they could do for depth besides a resource system and if that isn't what you think it should be than yea thanks for the joke comment from the start.

Hackers are going to hack and there would be even less people because some just can't afford it. I also never felt like there were paying players and non-paying players in this game ever. I don't know were you think paying would be a better choice for all when majority will pay for gear and items more than a sub.

I'm just stating what I feel as a free to pay player who just saw SOE get bought out by a company which I have no idea what they do. What I'm basically trying to get across is I WON'T PAY A PENNY NO MORE until I see this company show us they care about making this a good game for everyone. Companies like EA and any other have shown buying each other out is never good news for players.
  17. doombro

They will never make another game like Planetside 1 :( It's hard to let go.
  18. ZBrannigan

fair enough. but you seemed to be talking more about the time you spend playing. as opposed to the cost of it being prohibitive.

try PS1, it's free, gig and a half DL i think.
    pops not really there but you can explore the world and it's systems, see for yourself what PS2 could(and really should have had considering it's the sequel) have.
    it has actual 'bases' and can do 'water' for starters.

it certainly cuts down on hackers if they have to pay for a new account after a ban, yes, some people will but we don't have to make it easier with endless throwaway accounts.

also assumes 'more' people is better because 'more', it really isn't. just makes it harder to keep anyone happy.
    and makes the game increasingly harder to balance as you add more guns to the increasing pile of guns. they can't keep on top of it now!

and if you can't afford it, you can't afford it, no one is entitled to it anyway. i couldn't afford the PS1 sub when i first wanted it either. welcome to real life where you can't have everything you want for nothing.
    it won't be better for all, just those that want it. you can't keep everyone happy all of the time, so why even try when everyone will end up disappointed in some way. pops are already dropping and not because this game ticks everyones boxes. it's losing it's 'massively' which is its only real selling point.
    i agree, i wouldn't sub to this on the vague promise, PS1 was a complete game at launch, 10 conts, 20+ vehicles etc etc. took me less than a day to see the idea of it.
    PS2 is asking us to fund it for 10+ years and we might have a 'complete' game we like at the end of that. thats just not for me.

i(and others) would be willing to pay for something that is for 'us', you wouldn't and thats ok too.
    • Up x 1