[Suggestion] this game would be objectively more fun for a majority players if A2G ESF's were toned down.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fleech, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Covah

A2g is fine to me honnestly, and i'm not a big A2g farmer, i'm much more on the infantry side.
  2. Flag

Then maybe I should point out that on Miller, TR are the biggest abusers of A2G group cheese so your perspective might be a bit warped.
  3. Covah

Then if it's that OP / effective then maybe NC and VS should do the same.

That said if i don't want to get stupidly farmed by a2g, i stay inside buildings / change fight / pull an AA Max / pull a skyguard / pull an AA ESF etc...

You will get killed by a2g and that's normal some deaths can't be avoided.
    Same with tanks.
    And infantry.

People complain about everything in this game it's getting annoying.

Don't like air ? don't play a combined arms game.

God...
    • Up x 2
  4. Schwak

Combined arms is a delusion. The only time it takes place is at bases that are overpopped 3 to 1 and everyone is stuck inside the spawn room. Apart from that a couple squads of infantry can indefinitely hold off an armor zerg with group infantry AV targeting and A2A aircraft can't participate in any fight that has any kind of flak or lock-ons. It's ironic that one of the highest skill ceilings in the game is made impossible to do because of ground based deterrents caused by people that think it's their god given right to farm ground with A2G weapons.
    • Up x 2
  5. cykael

This thread is a good example of average a2g airchav being dumb as a rock. Why are you trying to solo farm in a 96+ zerg? Do you lack the mental capacity to fly off to the next nearby fight for some free certs? It's not like ESF is the fastest vehicle in th-.. Oh wait, it is.

Server smash shows quite well why ESF is so hilariously overpowered. Almost every smash has been dictated by air superiority, or more accurately ESF superiority. The losing side's argument on reddit for the past 4 smashes I've paid attention to has always been "we got farmed by air" or "they had more air". The current SS champions Cobalt (master race) also basically had players in their squads pullung a2g esfs to help the ground forces AFAIK.
    • Up x 3
  6. cykael

If this was a proper RTS-FPS air would melt to AA in seconds instead of being "deterrent" because bad players can't find their afterburner key.
    • Up x 2
  7. MahouFairy

Whoever has more air superiority is bound to win. It happens in real life as well, so much that you can call it common sense that air to ground is always essential.

ESF's are not overpowered, they are just meant to be this way. And so is AA against ESF's.
  8. BloodyPuma

Dont mess RL with a game. If using that logic - Fighters are one of the most expensive army equipment - and many countries simply cant afford them. Ingame you can pull ESF after ESF and your nanites will not run dry.
    • Up x 2
  9. MahouFairy

In real life, fighters are expensive, yes, but they are fast and usually carry better A2G weapons. In this game, the Mosquito (fastest ESF) is about as fast as an attack helicopter and heck, needs more than 1 rocket from that LOL pod to kill an infantry. And guess what? An attack helicopter is armoured against small arms.

And I'm not even mentioning the fact that the flight ceiling is so low (max I've gone is about 900m) that you can't go A2A without being in range of AA guns.
  10. cykael

"esfs aren't overpowered, they are just meant to be unkillable when the pilot possesses triple digit iq"

lol
    • Up x 2
  11. Haquim

If this was a "proper" RTS-FPS air would melt in splitseconds, sometimes to SAMs that are kilometres away, but ESF would also fly above 300m/s and kill tanks with one heat-seeking missile each.
    I would enjoy that, not so sure about other people
    • Up x 4
  12. Badname707

Put a walker on an AV MBT. Bam, now it's anti-everything. Hell, put it on a HE MBT. Anti-everything.

Wait, you mean some of these choices reduce your effectiveness against some targets? But you can damage anything you want! Hell, you can take multiple salvos from just about any weapon in the game. OP plz nerf.
  13. Badname707

When was the last time you used coyotes for A2G? When was the last time you used a non-AI nosegun for A2G?
  14. Schwak

?
    • Up x 1
  15. MrCynical

An ESF on a rocket pod a2g run is a Skyguard snack.
  16. Mianera

There's a problem here. If you're going to nerf their A2G capability you also need to nerf ground units AA capability.

The Air Game is fun when you aren't constantly getting lock-on and flak in your face.

There is a AA gun in pretty much every second base on any continent. Every heavy has by now unlocked some form of AA launcher and MAX's everywhere with dual busters.

THIS is how the airgame currently works in actual big fights:

Fly in, kill maybe 1 infantry guy, then bail with afterburners while every thing out there is shooting at you. It's stupid.

My issue is that the A2G was too strong and therefore the developers responding with giving people more AA functions and they certainly have been acquired now over time. This was WRONG!

What they should'ave done is just nerf A2G to begin with, but now that we cannot take things away from people they have already unlocked, both aspects need a nerf in order for them to remain fun.
    • Up x 1
  17. Cimm0

I'd love to see some kind of one-man vehicular combination of AI / AA.

One that keeps up with other vehicles and can give them AI cover while still being powerful against close-flying ESF.

Some key features:
    - Weaker than a Harasser, takes damage from small arms fire but not very quickly. Explodes quickly if hit by missile fire (3-4 shots?).
    - Speed similar to tanks.
    - Twin Kobalts or anything that fires fast, does no damage to armored units yet damages ESF.
    - Fast bloom to prevent sustained, accurate fire against several small infantry targets at long range. Deadly bursts against exposed infantry. But can be overwhelmed easily by several infantry in cover if left alone!
    - Unique cert: fire control system, calculates a point of aiming for very accurate machine gun fire against ESF. The player can then lead the target accurately at some kind of distance. Gives a lock-on signal to aircraft because of radar dish.
    - Can be activated often for short duration to engage targets, should not alone give protection against several attacking aircraft.
    - In general, hoped effect would be similar to firing a slightly more powerful Kobalt at aircraft flying at short to medium distances. At long range, firing bloom and damage fall-off would prevent serious damage.
  18. Flag

I'd like to point out that the Walker and Kobalt are separate weapons for a reason.
    And if this vehicle were to be balanced in a way to not make the Harasser worthless (Kobalt and Walker variants), I'd question if it'd be worth using at all, ever.

:/ Commendable that you spent time trying to think of something, but I'm sceptical of how useful the vehicle would be.
  19. Sieptium

2 guys with AA rockets/weapons I donno what can deny ESFs within a 10km ******* area. ***** more.

Bring some AA of your own if you have issues, and you'll never worry about ESFs again.
  20. Haquim

Lets keep the exaggeration for the dramatic effect on reasonable levels, alright?

Yes, 2 guys with lock-ons can pretty easily shoo away an ESF. Another 10 bullets from any gun would propably kill it.
    But! The range is 450m, not 5km. You need to see the ESF while locking on. When shooting the rocket might still fly into some object due to "smart" tracking mechanics. Also the two guys are in constant danger to get shot by anything else.

Yes they can do that, but if only those two are doing it it is a lot of work.
    Now if every heavy simply runs around with his G2A launcher and draws it when he sees an ESF you don't to go through all that hassle. And that is actually pretty easy to do
    There is simply so much AA readily available in this game I'm always wondering if the creators of this threat even noticed they can change their weapon loadouts.
    • Up x 1