IEDs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Doc Jim, Jan 5, 2015.

1. z1967

More or less that people can't figure out how to not step on AI mines :|

I usually only get killed by suicide miners and when I get stuck on something. Its not a very hard thing to do and yet somehow people still do it.
  2. z1967

No, its 5 mines and 4 c4 possible. You can't have 6 mines unless you found some inventory exploit.
  3. Doc Jim

I'm pretty sure the explosives pouch thingy only lets you carry two AT-mines in addition to the normal three, so that gives you a maximum of five AT-mines. I don't know about the C4, I don't use that on the engineer.
  4. TheBlindFreak

I haven't seen the AP-AT mine combo in a while. I'll assume it's because you can't place mines in the spawn room anymore. People used to place their AT mines, and switch to infil and place AP mines in the spawn room before a base gets capped. It often netted quite a few kills when the opposing players rushed into the spawn room. The AP-AT mine combo requires changing classes, so it's impractical to do it if there isn't a terminal nearby.
  5. Hatesphere

Most of the time I will just drop an AT mine as an improvises c4and set it off with my primary as someone walks by.
  6. XsolarflareX

this is another little trick to get people who are trying hard to get you. if you end up behind enemy lines, or sneaking through enemy contested territories you will eventually find enemy mines on a roadway. instead of blowing them up and giving away your position, drop a mine right on top of the enemies. One mine is usually enough and most people won't even notice until they are a heap of rubble.
  7. task_master

You can do this with tank mines too. The best part is when you've got good enough placement to block AP shots with the pack.

Wait a second, what if you had a bunch of guys toss their two packs on your tank? Ammo packs render pretty far out, so wouldn't you become immune to most damage? Holy **** I have to try this
  8. Prudentia

doesn't work because all the ammopacks break the physics of the tank :(
  9. Krishtov

I have a different IED, for vehicles. Mine AP-Damage drops at range but it isn't horrific. People spam Q to spot for mines....so I began making road-side bombs.

C4 + 2 (or 2x+3x if you wanna be sure) AP mines, strung in a line along the side of the road (in a bend or behind visually obscuring terrain). Full Sunderer drives by, detonate c4. Dead Sunderer. Works but you legitimately have to sit and wait. I enjoy it though.

Theoretically, if you KNOW an armor column is coming (from a gate for example) then you can, with an upgraded engineer & a buddies AP mines, make the following: 4 C4 + 8 AP mines. That is 4 road-side bombs. Takes about 1 minute to set up. Alternate them along the road, one to each side. Buddy drops AP Mana turret in a reverse-slope position, just in case.

Totally inefficient AND overkill, but fun to accomplish.
    • Up x 1
  10. desktop

I still do it on occasion. Its a expensive though, you are basically doubling the price of an ap mine. Its still nice to screw people in max suits or with flack armor.
  11. BengalTiger

That's just as evil as planting a triangle of AT mines on a landing pad near the front line.

Another booby trap:

Set up an ambush. This is required to keep the enemy busy and not looking for explosives.
    At the end of the kill zone drop a few mines. To make sure the guy either stops or hits the mines, drop an engy turret on the road as well, on the opposite side of where the mines are. That way 2 cover the whole roadway, but the more the merrier.

Netted me 11 kills once when a Sundy broke through the ambush smoking.
    • Up x 1