IEDs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Doc Jim, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Doc Jim

I used to HATE mines of any kind. I still don't like them but I hardly die to them anymore because I move slower and more carefully than in the past (no EOD HUD though).
    Recently I've started making IEDs or booby-traps by combining AP-mines and AT-mines at choke points when I see a possibility of my faction having to retreat or when infiltrators are being annoying. Why combine two types of mines? I use the AP-mine for triggering the trap and the AT-mine for raw killing power, this allows me to set up several traps.
    I've seen videos of people doing this back in '13, but I haven't seen anyone do it in game. I'm wondering why this is so uncommon. Is it the fact that you have to run around twice? Is it the increased cost of the traps? Is it too cheesy?
  2. CorporationUSA

How do you have both AT mines and proximity mines at the same time?
  3. Doc Jim

You don't, you run twice.
  4. CorporationUSA

I did not know that was possible.
  5. HenryTD

ain't 1 AI mine is enough to kill 1 full hp infantry??
  6. MallowChunkage

It's a lot of effort just to potentially get one cheap kill off on a MAX.
  7. Epic High Five

I've been doing this forever and it's always a fantastic idea. AT mines down first, then resupply with betties and toss them on top. Don't place the traps in areas where grenades will set either off.

I've always called them Flak F*ckers because they'll kill anything on foot in the game no matter what, be in MAX or flak. My usual victim? Some Infil ducking into a corner for health. It's so hilarious to imagine that it's worth it for that alone.
    • Up x 2
  8. Doc Jim

@ HenryTD: If that full HP enemy has flak armour then no, you won't kill him with one AP-mine. Furthermore, if said enemy is moving fast, he might make it further than 2m away from the AP-mine and 2m is where the maximum damage (1k) starts to fall off. So on the whole 1 AP-mine will often get you an assist instead of a kill.
  9. CorporationUSA

I like to put down a bunch of tank mines or C4 in a crowded spawn room and then wait for some random teammate to shoot it. This usually does not disappoint.
  10. steverogers

It's so rare that you see people making ''elaborate'' traps because they prefer playing the game instead of going full easy mode and just rolling a dice see if they'll ruin someone's fun or not. They prefer having fun while letting the enemy having fun too. Crazy isn't it? Putting a mine that doesn't even render graphically (but sure as hell does in terms of damage) is more of a troll act than anything else. It's like saying: ''I suck at FPS games so i'll ruin your fun too!''.
  11. iller

Wearing Flak armor has gotten a lot more common with all the Grenade spam that's been happening due to the only fights on most continents being either one of the 2 massive Zerg-farms. ...and the people with grenade bandolier aren't venturing far enough from the spawn to even hit that 1 proxy mine. But the real bonus to Proxy + AntiTank, would be if a MAX triggered it. An engie and inf working together could set that up on the spot for best timing / baiting. Smart MAXes never chase after an engie b/c of the Sticky+Tank trap. But a smart one might chase a lone infiltrator not expecting a mine that can actually destroy the suit.
  12. Doc Jim

Yeah, that's true, before the resource "revamp" and the subsequent grenade-spamming, most people were running nanoweave armour instead of flak armour, that has changed a bit and is one of the reasons for the reduced efficacy of AP-mines, the other being the EOD HUD implants.
  13. BengalTiger

Another variation is tank mine + C4.
    It allows to have much more killing power waiting in the trap (5 mines + 3 C4's are what an engy can carry with a fully upgraded utility pouch, which gives 4 earth shattering kabooms).
    • Up x 1
  14. Spoprockl

The problem with this combo: as soon as you die all your C4 disappears and those traps are simple tank mines again.

I've been using the Betty + Tank Mine combo on tower stairs, to get infiltrators with flak armor.

I rarely get a max with it, as they mostly show up a bit later in the fight, when other people had the chance to trigger everything layed out.
    • Up x 1
  15. Prudentia

my fav setup is:
    place a Proxymine, place an ammobox on top of it.
    tada, your mine is hidden behind a brick and a UI symbol masking the light and every enemy who wants to get some ammo from an enemies ammopack gets it sent over in nice glowing hot shrappnels
    • Up x 4
  16. FnkyTwn

Is this the thread where I ask for a Claymore nerf?
  17. Doc Jim

No, this is a thread about explosive traps involving more than one type of equipment, regardless of faction.
  18. z1967

If you're ok with me laughing at you for not being able to dodge a stationary object, sure.
  19. BengalTiger

• Up x 1
  20. IvanCGray

Whoever said about 5 tank mines and 3 C4- wrong. 6 tank mines and 4 C4.