The 2014 Planetside 2 Meta Olympics - Dec 29-31, 2014

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by inigma, Dec 29, 2014.

1. inigma

The 2014 Planetside Meta Olympics is on! This is our first year for this event, so we're starting small. Really small.

As in one event only this year. But it's a doozy of an event.

Here is a list of Planetside 2 Meta Games that we've compiled:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-LcwyQiG9yV5UQKVS74wpFkNz_5Z0oMOqKcmp8eU3jU/edit?usp=sharing

Olympic winners will be posted permanently in that doc for fame and glory.

This year's event features the well tested, and now popular, Warp Gate Run. You must be able to twitch or share a video of your run to qualify your entry. Entries can be made by soloists and by squads. Two separate categories.

2014 Planetside Meta Olympics

Event: Warp Gate Run (Solo or Squad, Race or Points)

Goal:
    Go from your warp gate to an enemy warp gate, and back, on foot, without using an infiltrator class.

Scenario:
    Your faction's scientists need a brave soldier or team to extract nanites from an enemy held warp gate to see if reports of enemy nanite tampering are true. They have a special canister installed into your armor, but its sensitive to cloak generators, and vehicle nanites, hence no infiltrators are permitted to take part in the mission, nor is driving or riding in a vehicle. Respawns will also destroy the canister, so only medical revives are allowed. The canister contains sensors that will activate nanite collection only when an enemy warp gate bubble is disturbed. A couple shots from one's side arm or carbine fired into the enemy warp gate will be enough, although a spawn beacon is preferred for its additional nanite excitement properties once at the perimeter of the enemy warp gate zone. One survivor is needed to make it all the way back - on foot, to your faction's warp gate.

Rules:
    1. Must use a non cloaking class.
    2. Run is from your warp gate to enemy warp gate and back... on foot. No exceptions.(You may take any path).
    3. Must be on a continent with equal or more enemy pop vs yours at the time of start, and preferably with the most online enemy pop at the time on the server.*
    4. Must shoot into the enemy warp gate (or your surviving squad member must place a beacon near it).
    5. Must not respawn (rezzes by friendly medics are ok) at all during the entire run. (For squads, at least one must survive the entire run.)
    6. Olympic runs require proof of run by saved Twitch stream or other video.
    7. Squad, platoon, or outfit runs require at least one survivor per every 6 people. (A full squad of 12 therefore requires two survivors).
    8. You may change classes or resupply at any time during your run.

*Preference for winners will be for those who can show in their video that the continent they are running is on a continent with a busy enemy presence.

Race Winning Conditions:
    1. Complete the run in the fastest time.
    Top 3 solo winners will be posted with links to their streams or videos.
    Top 3 squad winners will be posted with participants and links to their chosen survivor's stream.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-LcwyQiG9yV5UQKVS74wpFkNz_5Z0oMOqKcmp8eU3jU/edit?usp=sharing

Points Winning Conditions:
    1. 20 points for destroying each enemy aircraft.
    2. 10 points for destroying each enemy empire specific tank.
    3. 5 points for destroying each enemy lightning tank.
    4. 1 point for destroying each enemy deployable.
    5. 1 point for killing any enemy soldier.
    6. 1 point for capturing an enemy control point.
    7. Tied scores are sorted by the fastest time to complete the race.
    Top 3 solo winners will be posted with links to their streams or videos.
    Top 3 squad winners will be posted with participants and links to their chosen survivor's stream.

To Post Your Qualification:
    You must post to this thread the following to qualify:
    1. A link to your twitch stream or video
    2. Your total race time.
    3. Total points you accumulated.
    4. Any timestamps for points you accumulated. If you do not post timestamps to prove your point score, your score will not be counted.
    5. All submissions must be received in this post by 11:59pm, Pacific Standard Time, Dec 31, 2014.
    • Up x 3
  2. inigma

Any takers? Let me know if you plan to make a run. If you have ideas, questions, post them too.
  3. inigma

I've been told the Warp Gate Run is perhaps one of the scariest missions to take in Planetside 2. Not many make it, let alone do it quickly or even in the first try. Average is about 40 minutes from gate to gate and back.
  4. Bixli

..no flash jousting tournament ? ..sadly , but still nice event. thumbs up.

..ehrm , on which server btw ? ..or did i miss it ?
  5. inigma

It's an open event from today until midnight the 31st. On any server, preferably the busiest one you have a character on.
    • Up x 1
  6. Bixli

..cool , thx for the reply.
  7. inigma

We've got several runners for this event so far. Both here and on reddit. Anyone else? Clock is ticking! Dont be surprised if you meet other runners in the game. Adds to the fun.
  8. inigma

No winners yet. This is a tough challenge.
    • Up x 1
  9. Crisic

10. inigma

Jump pads are permitted this year. I'll update the rules for next year to be more clear (most likely will remain permitted).

Awesome vid! Awesome run! Loved the music selection. Most fitting. You guys have set the bar for squad level participation in this Olympic event. With this submission, as of this writing, AOD is in the overall lead at 14m 40s and in the squad lead at 10 points.
  11. inigma

Solo submission from Reddit:

[M0O]Ninave 1 point8 hours ago*

Just did it as VS medic on Cobalt, EU prime time.
    Ran into the NC WG restricted area twice to make sure I was there and not out of bounds. Fired 2 clips with an AR. Ran back. Never actually saw the WG though, but my settings render the Esamir mist so thick I doubt I'd seen it anyway.
    I saw one enemy Liberator, nothing more. NC had 40% continent pop at that time. I even picked Esamir to get the maximum number of random encounters due to Snowmen and still nothing...
    May I say... it was not exciting.
    As an outfit event maybe if there were other people on foot to stop you at the same time and if the outfit has multi-factioners.
    Well I guess I was lucky and normally people do get shot at...
    http://www.twitch.tv/ninave/b/605073173
    Edit: To answer to the things required in the Forum thread.
    Time: Exit the WG bubble in the video time 00:35 and enter again 24:11. Time for the run counted from this is 23:36.

Ninave is in the solo lead at a confirmed 24:11, and leading in the point count at 0 points.
  12. inigma

Man u guys doing the Esamir run. Making me even more cold watching, and its freezing outside. I think next year we'll limit the run to Indar to add a bit of challenge. :p Keep up the running. Submissions must be received with video proof by 11:59:59 PST Dec 31, 2014 to qualify, and properly annotated in your post.
  13. Leeloo

Leeloo8 (VS) Miller - Burster Max with Level 3 Charge

Indar 3PM GMT+1 Continent population locked

Running time 30 minutes exactly. No points, no interesting events.

Have video, but will only upload (2GB even in ****** resolution and no sound) if I qualify...

Now, I think it would be much more interesting if:

1.) Continent was a predetermined one, so everyone had to run the same distance.
    2.) Run would have to touch both enemy warpgates (run around the continent), again for making the distance the same.
    3.) Continent has to be population locked, to make it similar as to fighting conditions.

Even then it is all a matter of luck whether anyone notices you or not. Just keep trying until you have a boring uneventful straight run :-/
    • Up x 1
  14. inigma

You qualify. And your suggestions I fully agree with.

I might even require runners next year to kill an enemy soldier behind lines, and for squads to blow up one ESF tank or aircraft behind lines to force new dangers.
  15. inigma

I wonder if flash jousting can be done with only two players, rather than 4 - in that you drive your flash and build momentum, and then on the pass switch to the rumble seat to fire or slash with your knife the other flash opponent.
    • Up x 1
  16. Mahaut

Server: Miller
    Character Name: Mahaut
    Faction: Vanu Sovereignty
    Sponsor: Nanite Systems
    Class used: Light Assault
    Run: Solo, Amerish, North Western Warpgate (VS) to North Eastern Warpgate (NC).
    Pop: 28% VS for 34-35% NC.
    Time: 23m51s or 24m20s depending on whether you count from and to the moment I leave and get back to the warpgate shield or from and to the moment I leave and get back to the warpgate spawn building.
    Points: 0. Though I think I stepped on an ant-hill somewhere along the way... Does that count for anything?

Proof through most boring PS2 video of all times can be downloaded here:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?d2ovh7jdzfhvfhf
    • Up x 1
  17. inigma

Gate to gate.

Congrats, so far you are in second place solo running.

Ill add an enemy killing requirement and running to both enemy warp gates next year so at least one is forced to go on the hunt and so maximize the time of the run in enemy territory.
  18. Kirthalion

I'm going to get down on this and intentionally pick my way through hot zones.
  19. inigma

Go for a points win!
  20. inigma

Less than 8 hours remaining to submit your qualification posts!