PS2 tech is inferior to WW2's one

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zak Preston, Dec 25, 2014.

1. CNR4806

You forgot the little minigames called "logistics" and "maintenance".

Shermans were ridiculously OP in these minigames, which allows them to be pulled far more often in the real game.
    • Up x 1
  2. Huishe

Who cares about shermans in ww2 anyway? It was all about T, Is and KV against german tanks anyway.
  3. Outreach

I understand some things for whatever reason aren't realistic. But there are a few things that I just don't get nor do I understand how people delude themselves into thinking it should be that way.

1. Why the **** can I only put one thing on the weapons rails? I equip a forward grip now suddenly the side rails magically no longer work? I can't have a forward grip and flashlight at the same time? Literally ******* why?

2. People who think that they as soft fleshy beings wearing a inch or two of armor should be able to survive getting hit by weapons that punch holes in armor vehicles. This ******* weapon is designed to destroy vehicles and you think somehow you should be able to tank it with your face?

3. It's over a thousand years into the future, on a moon surrounding planet in a galaxy so far away that we don't recognize a single star, which we got to by flying space ships through a ******* wormhole. I have a aircraft so advanced that it propels itself through the air by manipulating the magnetic field of the planet around itself, but we can't figure out how to get the ejection seat and flares to work at the same time???

It's the crap like that gets me.
    • Up x 3
  4. BengalTiger

Actually it was American trucks that won the war against German horses on the Eastern Front.

Tanks only worked when they had a generous supply of fuel, ammo and parts - and Germans had a time when more tanks were abandoned due to lack of fuel or replacement parts than due to battle damage.

Same reason why tankers must choose one type of ammo and then stay with it until they spawn a new tank.

Somewhere along the game development someone figured it'll be better if people can't do everything at once, so instead of limiting access to weapons and vehicles, they made it so there's a limited flexibility of said weapons and vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  5. Takara

PS2 Isn't real life...it's a game...They day a PS2 sniper rifle has realistic reach is the day I want to beable to oneshot snipers with my assault rifle. :p The game just isn't build on realistic ideas. So trying to apply them here will ruin it.
  6. Varonth

This whole balancing idea is thrown out of the window, when they decided that AV weapons should have no damage penalty against infantry.

Oh you took an AV weapon on your tank? Well no problem, it will still oneshot infantry. There is no choice to be made, in that regard.

Again look at Unreal Tournament. The AVRiL does 125 damage with a slow moving, slow reloading dumb fire rocket against infantry. And it does 200 damage with lock-on rockets on Vehicles.

The weapons there have a certain purpose, and if you use them for something else, they still work, but are far inferior. AV weapons in PS2 will oneshot units which it isn't meant for. If a AV round would deal like 600-900 damage on a direct hit vs. Infantry it would be a real choice. Do I want want something to be good against vehicles? Infantry? Or a middleground between both?

And again Unreal Tournament in Onslaught:
    The Goliath while not having a damage downside, had alot of other downsides, especially against infantry, but also against something like the Mantis.

Very limited turret turn speed, aswell as rather limited accelration and general vehicle turning. That is how it looks like if you don't give a crap about too much realism, and actually use balancing concerns as a primary designing factor.

The PS2 whole design is about fast and almost meaningless kills. The results are multiple hours of fights for a single objective, if attacker and defender are equally numbered, or spawn camping if you just even slightly outnumber the enemy.
    • Up x 1
  7. Outreach

And it's those artificial limitations that hamper the game and do nothing but give off a underwhelming feeling that the game has become so known for. I'm not saying everyone should be able to do everything, but there are some limitations set that are just down right silly.
    • Up x 1
  8. Pikachu

Good old binary fallacy. No one is asking for things and numbers to be equal to that of real life, just some of them to be closer than what they currently are.
    • Up x 2
  9. Pikachu

1. Too much stuff would make too much difference between standard and equipped weapons. Either making equipped guns too easy to use or making standard ones feel like broken junk. But when it comes specifically to flash light, infiltrators would complain too much if everyone could run around with flashlight for free.

2. In PvP games where players control a single character there can not be much damage/DPS difference between weapons because you have to take the victims experience into consideration. People tend to hate 1HK, therefore big guns (AV weapons) can't perform the way you would wish and expect them too (even when adjusted to overall TTK). Even if you could balance these weapons by limiting their availability so they can't be spammed, people still don't like getting killed too easily. Most people prefer the RPS damage system that we have here, even though it's inconsistent. It's a sad fact of FPS PvP combined arms.

3. Again these leaps of logic and immersion are needed for good gameplay. Although I'm not sure if the particular one you mention is necessary.
    • Up x 1
  10. Pikachu

Yeah the choice between AI and AV secondaries is a total failure. All AV weapons perform good enough AI that no one bothers using them.
  11. vanu123

Yea but Panthers and Tigers were great for farming and everyone had a consistent KD of 10+
  12. BillHaverchuck

The game has a hard time maintaining a sufficient performance with 300m infantry rendering range. So guns have to work within that range. So guns cant have realistic stats cause then no gun would have a difference within the 300m range.

I think the same applies with vehicles @ 800m range.
  13. Linedan

Dude, we can't even pave our roads or build working doors, you expect modern weaponry?
  14. Asageh

15. Takara

Ah old short sightedness!

You have to understand that if you change one thing...would mean you have to change many things.

Balance.....if you remove one thing from one side of a balanced equation then it is no longer balanced. So in order to change the things the OP wants to change you would need to go back and change everything else to bring it in line. Even if I was to agree with you on the idea of making things more realistic.

You have to look at it from where the devs stand. They have a game...lots of people play it and enjoy it. IT is...reasonably balanced. Several people want to see something different...should we then embark on a quest that will take likely more than a year to accomplish to please the few? Should we spend all this money to change something that is...at the moment not actually broken?

The answer is no, it's not worth the time or effort to them. Nor do I think it's worth the headache for the players. Look at how poorly they balance things and how long it takes for them to get something right already! Look at the things they have buffed then nerfed into uselessness only to say they would never touch it again. There are plenty of them and you are asking these same people to now go through and have to do everything all over again? I'm not even sure you want them to give that kind of attention to the items. I promise you, you won't be happy with what ever they decide to do...I've rarely seen anyone satisfied with how they turn out on these forums.

I'm just looking at it from my realism point of view and the history SOE has of doing things.
  16. radrussian2

um because its a game..
  17. thenewbie

I thought it was about the U-boats...
  18. z1967

I would love to see how long they last when they stay dead and the PS2 regiment keeps on coming back to life. At that point it becomes a war of attrition, where the modern regiment will either run out of ammo or men, and the PS2 regiment will never run out of either.

Once you get past the cool shiny stuff you have to realize that modern war is 80% logistics and 20% combat effectiveness. Doesn't help if you got the best tanks in the world if you have no fuel for them. Or the best guns with no bullets.
    • Up x 1
  19. Maxor

Only thing i'll agree to is how dumb the G2A lock on rockets are compared to real life versions.
  20. TeddyMan56

Its a game and reality has no business being there nor does it want to be there. Keep it that way...