Spitfire Turret - Do Not Buy.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jeslis, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Jeslis

Sorry.. only have an SSD.. have to be very careful how much I install.. Having 2 iterations of the same game is not an option when its as large as this is.
    • Up x 2
  2. AlterEgo

I say, make the Engineer able to place as many as he wants, and by that, I mean infinite amounts, but only one at a time (think MANA style). Also, increase damage (To 143) or rate of fire (To 1,000) so that it can kill those who deserve to die.
    • Up x 1
  3. Sharmanti

I found the sound annoying when playing against it. Mostly because it would alert everyone of my presence. Rather useless in big fights, but in small skirmishes it actually holds its own.

Was an engineer guarding an area, and I wanted to get through, but whenever I showed myself the turret would beep, alerting him. And if both the turrent and he was on me, I'd die for sure. Grenades didn't 1hk it either, so it was tricky dealing with.
  4. Jeslis

No, it just beeps like that all the time. Has pretty much nothing to do with your presence.
  5. Goretzu

Yeah they are supposed to be like PS1 Spitfire turrets - you'd only really get a kill off them if someone was mostly dead or if you managed to position them really well. The best option was usually a trap of some mines and then they walked into your Spitfire.

PS1 Spitfire turrerts fired immediately someone was in range though, just with low DPS.

The problem with these ones is they don't seem to fire, or at least mine don't. Probably 4 hours in all last night placing them everywhere and anywhere I could, and I never saw mine fire, I got 1 assist with it (after I'd wandered off and left one), and watched it not fire at many, many, many enemies well within its range.

The only time I might have seen it fire was an Infiltrator walked up to it and strangely stood still about 5 m in front of it for ages, in the end (after about 5 seconds) I killed him with my Carbine, but I'm not sure if it fired just as I killed him.

Apparently they take their time locking and then burst fire...... but as it stands this doesn't seem to either be working or if it is the lock-on time is so long as to be effectively broken (as no one is going to stand still in front of them for that amount of time).
  6. Alarox

It either needs significant health/damage buffs, or we need the ability to replace them without having to resupply.
    • Up x 2
  7. Raap

It's not worth using as it is right now.

And aside from the repeatedly mentioned shortcomings of the thing, I'd also like it if we could apply a camo to it.
    • Up x 2
  8. AtckAtck

When i first heard of the spitfire i though of my good old Global Agenda days. This is what a personal turret should do...
    A close range devastating trap.
    • Up x 2
  9. The_Blazing

Does it still have the 9-seconds TTK it had on PTS?
    • Up x 1
  10. Supporter

• Up x 2
  11. ThePunisher577

You can ambush people with the Spitfire....
    It's your issue, not mine. The spitfire works perfectly fine for me, if it doesn't work for you then it's clear you're doing something wrong. o_O
    • Up x 1
  12. uhlan

I think they're useful... to an extent.

Especially for those folks that are situationally unaware.

Helps spot targets or at least give the direction of a target so they know where to look.

Sure, they might be weak, but what do you want? A battlefield strewn with engi turrets? Anyone can be an engineer and anyone can pull one of these things.

The one thing PS2 does really well is excess to the point of ridiculousness.

I'm sure they'll tune the thing so it's a bit more effective, but it'll be a tight-rope walk.
  13. Demigan

Seriously?
    Here are all the advantages of the Turret:
    -Deals damage against any target, reducing the TTK you need
    -Distracts players, if they target the turret they waste time and shots to kill it while you fire at them. Alternatively they fire at you, but you are aided by the turret, high possibility that the turret finishes them off should the enemy still kill you.
    -It's an instant-nerf of the LA. The Turret can see through smoke and aim straight up, any LA that tries any form of attack from above gets killed. I got killed by 2 turrets easily before I could drop some C4 on an unsuspecting bunch.

Yes, a solo turret sucks, that's why you shouldn't leave them and think they can 1v1 anyone. They are perfect tools for free damage, bullet sponges and can deal with surprise flankers and warn people that there is an enemy around. That's the Turrets power. They are an added tool to help you fight enemies, they aren't a solo weapon of doom to kill off your enemies for you.
    • Up x 3
  14. ThePunisher577

---------
    Finally, someone else who knows how awesome a spitfire is. A single spitfire can be pretty good if placed well though, but yeah more than one in a good place is a deathtrap. :p
    • Up x 2
  15. ThePunisher577

I put mine on one side of a pipe on Esamir, infantry jumping over trying to attack the sundy... my turret be shooting them up with me. :p
  16. Goretzu

Who knows it seems to take at least 5 seconds for mine to even start to fire.
    • Up x 3
  17. Goretzu

What though?

I used Spitfire turrets a lot in PS1, I knew all the tricks and traps with them, I could get a lot of kills just with Spitfires and mines and sometimes just with well placed Spitfires.

I played a lot of TF1 engi (which isn't really like PS2 turrets, but placement logic is similar).

And....... I got absolutely no where with my turret in 4 hours of doing my best to get it to work last night.
    I placed it everywhere I could think of in all sorts of fights, dying loads just trying to get the turret into a position I thought it would benefit from.

All I got was 1 assist with it in 4 hours (after I got sick and wandered off leaving it), I watched countless enemies wander past it without it seeming to do anything (other than bleep and point at them - there was no discernable damage), the only time I think it might have fired was when I watched (by this time I was convinced it wasn't firing at all and was hiding nearby and watching its behaviour) an infiltrator wandered up to it, stood stock still in front of it for 4-5 second and nothing happened. I then killed the Inflitrator with my Carbine and maybe the turret just started firing as I did so.

If you can tell me what I'm doing "wrong" then by all mean please do so! :confused:
    • Up x 3
  18. p10k56

My spitfire manage to get at least 2 kills today. But cannot say it for sure cos somehow I cannot access Player info.
    Still it happened during biolab fight while protecting one of landing platform. Kills were counted as I get the kill.

Actually those turrets have reaction time of average non cheating player:eek:
    But still they are to big.
  19. Kreszenz

I've never been so disappointed by a sale than this time. I feel pretty ripped now, thanks SOE!
    • Up x 3
  20. Colakold

This thing needs something like a motion tracker or something like that. If the enemy is out of sight the turret goes back to standby. A build in motion tracker or heat sensor would help the turret to know that the enemy is still there and he leaves the cover, the turret can start to suppress.

A second problem is that the turret wants to have the closest target. If you have multiple enemys and they are changing positions the turret is switching targets the whole time. You can hear that with the beep what means a new target is locked. The turret needs to stick with one target within range (50m) and when an enemy breaks a perimeter of 20 or 30m, the turret needs to change to the close enemy to stay alive. That means the rotation speed needs to be faster.
    • Up x 3