[Suggestion] Spawn Camping

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AtckAtck, Dec 8, 2014.

1. AtckAtck

Camping inside the spawn room to get frags, that is the worst thing about this game at the moment.
    It ruins everything.
    Just jesterday i saw us loose a point again that we just could have taken back:
    There where 10 maxes sitting in the spawnroom und shooting through the shields...
    If those 10 would have gone outside we would have taken the point back.

Same goes for the attacker side:

It is just annyoing having to camp the spawnroom to secure a point, while having to dodge the fire coming from the spawn room.

So here my rather simple suggestion:
    - Make spawn room shield not passable by bullets, grenades whatsoever.
    - Put an SCU next to every spawn room. Make this SCU autorepair when attackers win the hex. (This way not an entire platton, squad would have to linger in the base to await capture and then repair.)

So if defenders whant to try to defend, then they must go outside and really try to take the point, defend the scu.
    Or give up and fall back.

Once it is no longer possible to get "free" kills through not leaving the spawn, maybe then the attackers would get either a promising fight with defenders or at least take the base quickly without having wait.
  2. Pikachu

Remove XP from killing inside spawn room. :)
    • Up x 1
  3. Matt879

They'd have to fully remove any rewards you get from killing while inside a spawnroom. KD, medals, ribbons, xp etc. Only then would people stop doing it, otherwise we'll still see KD prostitutes camping it out behind every shield they can find.
  4. Lurking Shadow

Think that people would then just redeploy...
  5. ElastaPlast

Isn't that a good thing? How may times have you been in a base defence to find you are hopelessly outnumbered when pushing the point? At least you would know how many team mates you have actively defending, and can make a more informed decision on whether to contest or move on.
  6. maxkeiser

No need for any changes.

Stop asking for pointless changes that would just take up loads of dev time.
  7. Goretzu

People always claim that, but the only time I see 10 MAXs sitting in the spawn room is when there are 50 MAXs outside the spawn room aiming at them (along with 100 infantry and 2 dozen tanks and aircraft).

Then the only point of ever playing PS2 is when you are in a Zerg (and outnumber the opposition) or at least have equal numbers.

As soon as you are outnumbered you may as well log off or switch factions to the numerous side.

The problem with these "solutions" is they create bigger problems than they actually solve.
  8. Eternaloptimist

I don't understand. Surely you win a point by capping and holding the SCU but defenders sitting inside the spawn room can't do anything about that without leaving the spawn room to recap the point? Spawn camping by the attacker is presumably to try to stop the defenders mounting a counter attack? which seems a legitimate tactic to me. The downside for the attack is presumably they take casualties by trying to bottle up the defenders if they expose themselves to fire from within the spawn room that they cannot reply to?

I am sure I am missing something in this thread due to ignorance or misunderstanding but if it about zerg redeploy well yes, I can see the case for limiting the ability to pour reinforcements into a base by redeploying. If it is about people hiding behind a shield for easy kills well, who wouldn't if the enemy exposes themselves to fire? Ultimately it is self defeating because you are going to lose the base if you just hide in the spawn room isn't it?

Things seem to be relatively balanced at present, or at least I cannot see a better solution.
  9. AtckAtck

Yes, that was exactly the thought of my idea.

I totally agree with you, just disabling xp wont do any good.
    As long as you get ribbons and killing counts towards auraxium, kd and objectives, then this won't be doing anything good.

And i am against areas that give or dont give xp for kills. That just cries for follow up problems, like not getting xp out of the room because of lag.

That is why my Suggestion. Both suggestions are already in game. And i dont see that needing really a lot of deveopment time, rather i see it as "some" Time.

yes that is the plan. You get exactly nothing out of trying to kill out of the save spawn room.
    That is not playing the game.
    If you let it come to the Point that you are pushed back into the spawn room, then you have lost. Period.
    If you are outnumbered you have to accept that an redeploy to another location, organize there, mount a counter attack.

yes, exactly. That is why the scu is needed for every spawn room. Once destroyed nobody can spawn there anymore. The last defenders are killed and the platton/squad can move on, not wasting time defending an already captured and secured Point from defenders that are not attacking and are outnumbered anyway.

No it is not. It has nothing to do with it. I encourage quick redeploy. The Deploy System is fine as it is.
    (Only instant action is not. It is NOT fun to be dropped right in front of a tank cannon every time...
    But that is another Topic.)
  10. ElastaPlast

Please enlighten me as to what purpose sitting in a spawn room serves to a team based game revolving around attacking or defending capture points, other than padding your stats?

You could be in a 12-24 a side fight at a base and think you have a chance. You end up back in the spawn room where you see 10 players shooting through the spawn room shields, when the capture point is the other side of the base. Are you telling me it's worth pushing that 8 versus 20 defence? The enemy can have equal numbers around the spawn room, in cover, waiting for you to leave, plus at least that number on point, in case you get through. Then you have Johnny Spawn Warrior stroking his LMG thinking how great he is at this game, because he has such a great K/D, and pressing redeploy at 11 seconds left on the timer.
    That player could have charged the point with you, redeployed to get a tank or plane, then come back and make a difference.
  11. Goretzu

There are servers out there where the sides are ALWAYS massively uneven, if you play on one of those you are always outnubmered, you cannot win, you can only fight to the best of your ability.

But even on more even servers the same thing occurs on contients where you are outnumbered (which then makes it pointless to play on those continents).

If you buff the Zerg-side (as most of these ideas do) and punish the underdog-side for being outpopped (so basically punished an already losing side FOR losing) you do nothing for gameplay, you simply tilt the game further and further in the way of the Zerg.

And that is the way MMO PvP games die, 1 sided Zergs gaining the upperhand and people quitting because it is pointless, unrewarding and unfun to fight against them (and then the Zerg-side quits because fighting no one become boring soon enough).
  12. SerasVic

Are you really complaining that spawncampers can be farmed back?

o_O
  13. desktop

Its annoying but i dont think it will ever go away, spawn rooms will probably never get adjusted in any meaningful way to prevent it. planetside 2 has worse spawn camping than AVP2, with the scale of the game probably the worst spawn camping in existence. I made a suggestion over a year ago, instead of spawning in a spawn tube in a spawn room and doppod in everywhere by default.
  14. \m/SLAYER\m/

do you remember location bug?
  15. Halkesh

Why you guy still think camping in the spawn room where camping the spawn room is the problem ?

Change the capture gameplay so camping a spawnroom isn't necesserally anymore.

How to do that :
    -Reduce the base capture time by half when all capture point are owned (every base should have at least 3 capture point).
    -Add more path to go away from the spawn room (more teleporter, more tunnel) even for smaller facility.
    -Add some random garage in the middle of nowhere to park sunderer to make some counter-attack.
    -Allow some capture point to give access to some neutral stuff like teleporter, tunnel or phalanx turret (for example, in Vanu archive, own the C point allow to access to the teleporter room).
    -Suggestion ?

Also, find a way to punish zergling, warpgate camper and facility cut from lattice (since it's not punished anymore since the resource / nanite revamp).
  16. SerasVic

You can change base design all you want, if it's 96+ vs 12 there is NO WAY that it'll make any difference.

A tunnel ? cool, what prevent them to have 24 guys waiting at the end ? Nothing.

You are outnumbered (i mean by far) you lost, simple.
  17. Halkesh

You don't make a difference between spawn caping and a zerg.

If you are in a 80-20 % fight, it's a zerg and you should better redeploy since you can do nothing. The base will be captured.
    If you are fighting in a 50-50 fight when enemy use ton of vehicles and you don't or if it's a 60-40% fight, it generaly lead to spawncamping but the base isn't necessarily captured.

In case A, it's useless, sure.
    In case B, it's better to have the maximum exit path.
    1. Spawn room door
    2. Teleporter
    3. Tunnel
    4. Counter-attack sunderer.
  18. AtckAtck

You are so right, thats why i want an scu for every spawn room.
    Cutting the capture time in half and/or adding 3 capture beacons everywhere is not good.
    There must be some facilities that are suitable for small fights too.

If outnumbered, then the point will be caputured and some minutes later the scu will be open for overload. Base is lost then.
    If you manage to leave some infiltrators behind that can caputure back once you leave early, then you deserve that for not clearing the place up properly.

Chicken or Egg?! What was first? You just cannot do anything about spawncamping if defenders get pushed back inside.
    How would you want to do that?!
    But you can do something about the players staying despite of having no Intention to fight back.

It doesnt matter if you get facerolled in 1 minute or in 6 minutes gaining some no-skill kills along the way.

Sorry but that is the very definition of loosing.
    It's not my problem if you are a bad looser. I play TR on Cobalt and this is the underpop faction there, don't know about other Servers, and still it's just lame sitting in the spawn room and trying to make some certs. It's just plain stupid and boring.
    If players would be forced not to split up and instead having to organize to fight back, or getting really nothing, then i bet on it they will fight.
  19. SerasVic

FTFY
  20. Goretzu

It is not about "me" being a bad loser :confused: , it is if you build a game where someone is losing and not only losing, but feels utterly helpless and has absolutely no fun or options whilst losing, then you have built a game..... that will die (especially when the other side of the same coin buffs the Zerg-side).

The only way a game like PS2 works (at all) is IF you can have fun whilst losing.

Punishing a losing side for losing (on top of just simply losing), by making them unable to do anything is plain daft and total counter-productive to maintaining the game itself.

PS1 was better at this in many ways, certainly it had distructable spawns, but the base design mean that a vastly outnumbered side could at least do some damage to a Zerg before they inevitably lost.