Flight Controls

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BradH, Dec 7, 2014.

1. BradH

I tried a search but got nothing on this exact subject.

Default: the A & D keys do Yaw (moving left & right) and moving the mouse left & right does roll. This of course is bass aackwards from the way it should be and most every other flight game that can use a mouse.

I mean really! Who at SOE came up with that grand idea; that aiming with the mouse only works vertically, while having to use the keyboard for horizontal aiming.

So when I go to key bindings to fix this, I change the roll to A & D - no problem. But I can NOT change the Yaw to work on the mouse movement. There is no setting you can do, to facilitate this.
    WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

I know good and well, there are a lot of people who like flying in video games, that are angry about this. So why has SOE not addressed this? Or... could it be I have missed something. Like I said, the search function sucked and didn't give me any threads talking about this.

P.S.= I'm not buying a joystick.
    • Up x 5
  2. Kepa

You know any other game that has the same air game?

I fully support people being able to bind what ever t hell they want where ever t hell they want.

Prolly they have some technical reason so its not available.

Still love flight controls in planetside.
  3. GoyoElGringo

This has actually been discussed to death. It basically comes down to this:

SOE doesn't care(that's my take on it, I don't believe they actually said that)

The default flight controls are just fine when you get used to them

I wouldn't mind seeing the option on the test server, so people could see how it would work. My concern is that it would be an inferior option in PS2, but new players would use it because it's familiar. That would ultimately hurt them for no good reason, and if that's the case then it should be left how it is. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try it out to see if that's the case.
    • Up x 4
  4. BradH

You can honestly tell me that you think having vertical control on the mouse and horizontal control on the keyboard, is easier for you?
    I can see with a joystick & pedals this being OK. As it follows real life aircraft controls and flight simulation games.
    But when you don't have joystick, using just mouse/keyboard - this is screwed. No other flight game that allows mouse/keyboard does this (World of Warplanes, War Thunder, IL2, Battlefield series, or any other game I've played with aircraft). Only Planetside has had this screwed up configuration for mouse/keyboard players.

And no... after almost 900 hours in the game, I can not get used to it. The flight controls suck! Why I rarely touch aircraft in the game.
    • Up x 3
  5. gary the sewer hobo

Yes, it is a lot easier for me. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're terrible. This is not a matter of what is better, it's a matter of personal preference. If I can't bind roll to the mouse in flight games I won't play them. I dislike it greatly. Yes people should have the choice to rebind it, but in this game the yaw of ESFs is so little that I can only see people being at a disadvantage to those with roll on the mouse.
    • Up x 2
  6. GoyoElGringo

I can't tell you if it's easier or harder because I haven't tried both ways in PS2. That is why I said they should put the option on the test server, so I can try it out and see what it's all about. Like I said, it might be worse in the long run. Hell it might even be better, but neither of us knows for sure. Our experiences with other games don't necessarily carry over to PS2. One thing I do know for sure, is precision rolling with the keyboard alone would be impossible. I know this because I use both the keyboard and the mouse to roll. I do a lot of flying low to the ground, under trees and objects, so being able to fine tune my roll is important. Yaw is slow, adjusting my aim with yaw is basically as simple as tapping the keys. I suspect that there is nothing I can do with yaw on the mouse that I can't do now.

What does your time in-game have to do with anything? Time in an ESF is all that matter for flying an ESF. If you meant 900 hours in an ESF, well then I don't believe you.
    • Up x 1
  7. Uncle_Lou

Like someone said, it has been discussed to death and it doesn't appear there is any interest (or ability, perhaps) on SOE's part to provide more flight control options.

The current control setup is the only reason I don't fly at all in PS2. I suppose I probably could eventually get used to the control mapping, but every time I've tried flying in VR the flight controls from every other game that includes flying interpose themselves into my brain and I wind up flying upside down and sideways while freaking out trying to recall the correct damn control and then crashing horribly. I can't see spending god knows how many hours in VR trying to adjust to the controls just to get shot down instantly by someone who has been flying in PS2 forever as soon as I leave the WG.

Which sucks, because there are times when I look up and see a lib or ESF tearing it up and think it would nice to do the same. I'm just not willing to put in the time to learn what to me is a really screwy control method. If it works for people that's awesome, but please give the rest of us a choice in control setup.

The perfect setup to me would be simply to point the nose with the mouse, W/S for forward/reverse throttle, and A/D to sideslip left/right... I could also see setting up A/D to roll. WarThunder uses basically this setup and it works quite well, though admittedly aircraft in PS2 have more in common with helicopters than traditional fixed-wing aircraft.
    • Up x 5
  8. GoyoElGringo

If you're on Emerald or Connery and looking for someone to help you out, either with setting up your controls and the basics of flying an ESF, or A2A practice, send me a message. I'm not a sky god, but I can definitely help you get started. I have alts for all faction on both servers.

Unless your goal is specifically to play an A2A ESF, you actually can get into the air and start attacking ground targets with moderate success once you get comfortable and get the basics down. All of the people on forumside who say flying is terrible for new pilots because of the sky gods are exaggerating. It's frustrating at times, but totally worth it.
  9. Uncle_Lou

I am on Emerald, and I appreciate the offer... I'll give it some thought and look you up if I decide to give it a go. I've really avoided flying because the flight controls just make no sense to me. I am missing out on a goodly third of the game though, maybe it's time I suck it up and try to figure it out.
    • Up x 1
  10. I play by many names

This has been asked for since CLOSED BETA. Sony either simply doesn't care or is too incompetent to add it it.
    • Up x 4
  11. BlueSkies

I feel old... but all the "old" flight/combat flight sims used mouse for vertical and roll (including BF1942)
    • Up x 1
  12. Leeloo

Do you guys know, why we have "Invert reverse steering for tanks" as an option under settings? Because according to statistics, half the population cannot drive a remote controlled car when it is facing them... and practically, no amount of practice helps.

The same is true with the current flight controls, but it seems SOE does not care. They were able to do it in PS1 and practically everyone was able to use aircraft as a result.
    • Up x 6
  13. GoyoElGringo

Source?
  14. Cz4rMike

BF3 had the same control scheme for jets as PS2 (I also had the same for helis). And I flew both with yaw on keyboard and yaw on mouse. Having roll on mouse aand yaw on keyboard is much much better. It's a perfect control scheme for me :)... The reason why you can't get used to such controls is because you didn't create any correct practice plan for yourself.

First you need to learn to fly in a straight way using YAW only, then ROLL only.. Spend at least 5 minutes on each in VR everytime you go online. That way your brain will get easily used to what is what. Then start combining it, spend time circling around tanks / infantry and shooting them. Do it for at least 5 minutes. Then learn reverse maneuver and do it around different objects in VR or even under some objects. Learn to fly below trees...

There is so much simple stuff you can do to help yourself ADJUST...
  15. McToast

Moin

While I'd fully support customisation of keybindings, there is a reason why we have yaw on keyboard and roll on mouse. Precise rolling is more important in this game than precise yawing. There are situations in hoverbattles where mouse-yaw would be great, but most of the time the current bindings are optimal. I can't really imagine how mouse-yaw could work, it would be sooo sloooow.

Just get used to the control scheme. There are thousands of pilots who were able to figure it out, I'm pretty sure you can too if you really want to.
    • Up x 2
  16. Auzor

Point nose with mouse, check,
    W/S forward/reverse: check.
    A/D to "sideslip".. I presume you mean "strafe" here, like a magrider.
    Where would you put "roll" in that case?

I want mouseyaw, but I can' imagine trying to fly without easy access to roll control..
    If anything, if I wanted "strafe" I could see myself using the numpad;
    4= roll left, 5= reverse, 6= roll right, 8= forward thrust,
    7, 9: strafe left/right.
  17. Uncle_Lou

Could map roll to Q/E if you had to. I hate to make comparisons to other games, but in PS1 and WarThunder, for example, roll was an automatic component of a turn. In WT you can also manually control the roll as well.

I still dont understand - a product of not flying in PS2, I am sure - why precise rolls are more important than yaw. If someone could take a moment to explain that, I might better understand why so many think the current controls should be the only option.
  18. TheBlindFreak

I honestly don't understand how pitch and roll on the mouse is such a hard concept to grasp. Last steam summer sale I grabbed a neat looking flight game. Yaw was on the mouse x axis. It was awful. No option to rebind or anything. Uninstalled it immediately. I'm glad I only got it for $2.

Pitch and roll on the mouse just feels right. It's completely intuitive once you realize how aircraft or birds fly. I could understand them putting in the option to do it, sure. But it would put those players at a disadvantage giving how weak yaw is in PS2. It wouldn't be worth it. People are better off just learning normal flight controls.
    • Up x 1
  19. WarmasterRaptor

This again... :rolleyes: people telling other what's best for them :)

People asking for an option that doesn't affect an already used setup and others saying "no, get used to it scrub"...

You pilots better not have a SINGLE key rebinded EVER to be so righteously stubborn...

Got to LOVE those forums.:rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  20. desktop

I heard that in the beta/alpha you could use the mouse for yaw. Because of the way sensitivity was set up you could put your mouse on a high dpi push it to the left or right fast and your turning speed would be way too quick. So instead of fixing it they just removed yaw from the mouse. Its the same reason joystick controls are not very good, sensitivity settings.
    • Up x 1