The HA Question

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rovertoo, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Rovertoo

Recently there's been a lot of discussion about the Heavy Assault and his Shield, and I think justifiably so. However I feel that the biggest obstacle to anything being concluded (which, since this is the forums, will never happen anyways) is a single question:

Are the classes supposed to be balanced?

Depending on the answer to this I think we can examine what needs to be done.

If yes: Then the HA needs some kind of nerf (or other classes buffed, yada yada). The HA is by far the most used class, with the greatest adaptability, greatest 1v1 and 1vMany capabilities, and is mathematically superior in killing potential and survivability. If we decide that all classes should be equal and balanced (but play differently) then the HA is clearly over performing and something needs to be done.

If no: Then we need to take a hard look for reasons to play other classes. If in a fighting game we have a single class that is superior at fighting, there must be competitive reasons to play the other classes. Currently however there is little to no rock/paper/scissors interaction between classes or dedicated support roles. Without focusing on these class interactions we can't have any one class that shines above the rest without it elbowing out any kind of competitive scene.

Of course this is just an opinion piece, but this seems to be the biggest disagreement between pro HA and con HA, but either way I think something needs to be done.

Also: I think the answer is yes.
    • Up x 2
  2. Villanuk

I don't think the classes should balance in regards to health and fire power as each class has a specific role to play in the game. With an Engi, an attack will fail on a base, as you would have no ammo and without a medic a sustained attack would fluster, as you would lose to many men.

So that's why there is a reason to play other classes, its a game based on team work and without it, you will not achieve the end result.
    • Up x 1
  3. Covah

Classes are not supposed to be balanced 1v1.

Ha is fine.

Whiners are most of the time noobs who get pwnd.
    • Up x 4
  4. Leftconsin

I think if we did to heavy shield what happened to stalker cloak no one would complain about how powerful it is anymore.
    You want more health? No LMG for you.
    • Up x 3
  5. Fatal_Finn

No, classes shouldn't be balanced. Heavy assault needs the shields in order to be that "heavy assault" but currently the shields are too strong. You have too great advantage over other classes. One shield also works in every situation which makes HA gameplay a bit poor imo because the shield can absorb all kinds of damage.

What I'd like to see is to separate the shields absorb either explosive damage or damage from small arms. Also reduce the amount of damage absorbed by small arms a bit. Make the heavy assault shields a bit more tactical that "just press F and win".

The new Resist Shield would block 45% of damage dealt by infantry weapons if combined with Nanoweave. Compared to current Nanite Mesh Generator, it means 11 bullets (143 damage) would be enough to kill you instead of 12 (compared to current NMG).
    This is something what I would do, but that's just me.
    • Up x 2
  6. Golconda

This.

HA is meant to be stronger than other classes in direct front-line 1 vs 1, what would be the purpose of HA if not?

That said, I'd like to see a specific class to deal with ground or air vehicles, and i'd give the HA less AV power, giving him mostly AI heavy weapon to fit the RL slot.
  7. emjayz

great post. the answer is absolutely yes, no matter what the career HAs will chime in about otherwise. "best 1v1 class" nonsense only leads to old school battlegrounds where it was 15v15 and one side was 100% rogues. its beyond silly

m60/law in battlefield 'nam was broken as hell, so giving that + 1.5 to 2x hp at a button press and making the LAW potentially laser guided is *not*? give me a break
    • Up x 1
  8. emjayz

{citation needed}
    • Up x 3
  9. MarkAntony

where did the planned shield delay go?!?
  10. Golconda

Jumpjets, cloak, turrets, one tier above average weapons+ heal field all make you kill ppl better than an HA, if used in their field of effectiveness.
    HA has his field of effectiveness in dealing with hostiles in flat ground and on medium-short range. It is better in THAT scenario just like the infiltrator, for example, is better in other scenarios.
  11. Dualice

Maybe just give them an inherent movement speed decrease. Heck, they're called heavy assault for a reason. How can they carry a high capacity LMG, a rocket launcher, and all that shield tech, yet still run the same speed as a stalker infiltrator?
    • Up x 5
  12. Zotamedu

This game is designed around asymmetric balance. Both when it comes to factions and classes. It makes the game more interesting and varied. Giving classes distinct roles is a great way to introduce some larger scale tactics and strategy. It adds some depth.

It seems like the people who are complaining are mostly below average lone wolves that treat this game like any other arena shooter. If you want an even 1v1 playingfield, go play the new CoD. I've heard that it's actually good. Perfect 1v1 balance makes no sense in this game.
  13. SuperTrooperWaterloo

HA fine, please proceeed.
  14. OminousZ

Of course you would say that, as that's pretty much all you play...hmmmmm...
    • Up x 1
  15. Metalsheep

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...y-assault-destroyer-mode.202801/#post-2951480

Personally i feel that the HA should be more durable than the other classes, but in raw HP rather than an activatable shield.

I also feel like HA should be the heavy Damage Dealing class, and the MAX should be more focused on Damage Absorbtion.

I made a post (linked above) about an idea to alter HA to be more damage focused, yet keep a smidge of higher durability.
  16. SuperTrooperWaterloo

The HA is the most played class because hes the only real soldier. The HA is made to be the front soldier with more HP(shield) and best damage output. Thats the concept and its pure purpose that he wins against every other class in a direct comparison.

You need repairs? Take the engi.
    You need heal? Take the medic.
    You need a sniper? Take the Infi.
    You need mobility? Take the LA.
    You need a foot soldier? Take the HA.

HA is made for killing, not like the other classes that have different functions.

Just like in a real army: 80% foot soldiers and the rest is specialized infantry.
    • Up x 3
  17. Sulsa

Sorry OP, but with a statement like this, I can't take your concerns seriously. You are either oblivious to what PS2 is or you miss-typed or ...something...
  18. Bonom Denej

Nanites.

Come on, you practically begged for that answer...
    • Up x 2
  19. Alizona

Why does every heavy assault I fight against turn their shield on instantly?

I swear to God, there's some "cheat" in this game where as soon as an incoming bullet is detected, the shield goes up automatically so it is active by the time my first bullet gets there.

I'm half-joking, I don't really think there is a cheat or a hack for this, but geez, the enemy ALWAYS gets that shield active instantly, and it always frosts me because I run four C4's and don't even use any armor, not even that cheap Nanoweave. Utility pouch precludes the use of armor... and if you can't see my graphic below, that is why my k/d is a measly 0.47 LOL

Is there some way to bind the keystroke for shield activation to another action? Perhaps there's a trick to how some players get that shield up so quickly and so consistently? When I run HA, my shield is bound to the default key (I think it is "F"?) and I sometimes forget to hit it and turn my shields on. lol
  20. mer1c

The problem here is that you can ramp up killsway too easy. That's why every Tom, Dick and Harry is playing Heavy Assault.

People denying that it's far easier to farm kills/xp with HA are either lying or haven't played any other class for more than 1 hour.

I don't have a solution for this but the current situation is rather annoying. Not that I'm being killed only by HAs (easily solved: switch to vehicle or leave region) but that there are almost no other classes on your own team.

You need ammo/repairs? Too bad, only 5 HAs present, no engi...
    You need to be healed/revived? Too bad, only 3 HAs trampling on your corpse...
    You need a terminal hacked/dealt with an enemy sniper? Too bad, only a bunch of HAs with CQC weapons around...

As I said, I don't have any kind of solution but something has to be done about it, that's for sure!
    • Up x 4