Camo Coverage vs IFF

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Klypto, Nov 19, 2014.

1. PWGuy93

Hear, hear! Desync and doritos make for messed up play.
  2. ajma

Full dorito system should be implemented, but the delay for friendly doritos to render must be fixed before that.
  3. Wargrim

Upvote ++. The OP is correct in his analysis and makes very good suggestions - SOE, please follow them.
  4. LT_Latency

They need both because LA and INF can sneak inside your lines and pass you in ways where they are so close the triangle will not be on your screen or their is such a high concentration of people a player just gets losted in all the triangles.

BF still uses the color system as well. However, they don't need to make it as obvious because you can't customize your soldiers so you can quickly learn the differences between the 2 armies.

In PS2 there is hundreds of different combinations each solider can be so they need to be obvious so you can tell if you never saw that outfit or cammo before

Black Team
    [IMG]
    Green Team[IMG]
    Brown Team
    [IMG]
  5. Archlyte

Yeah I think they should use the battlefield system. If the game gets much more silly looking I will just go play something else.
    • Up x 1
  6. ColonelChingles

Errr... you can customize your soldier in BF... at least 3 and 4.

For example, one of these camo patterns is Chinese, and the other is American:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Good luck making split-second decisions on those. :p
  7. LT_Latency

One is green and one is brown.

The models don't change. You are welcome to post actually screen shots of these solider but their always a common themes that don't change which let you visually identify the teams
  8. Archlyte

I welcome that. I will take TKs over Clown Colors any day.
    • Up x 1
  9. Kwyj1bo

Sorry, I'd rather have the color system. I like the bright colors, and the only time the current camo system is an issue is with colors that are hard to differentiate at a glance. Get rid of regional and non-factional camos, made the player camos follow very strict guidelines so they don't become too hard to distinguish. And keep the BF3 dorito system, since it works well. Also, do something about the VS, they shouldn't be nearly black when everyone else is using bright yellow or red.

This is, of course, just my personal preference. I am not much interested in realism.
  10. Hoki

Yeah I can get that non-uniform camo coverage can cause problems for newer players, however the unfairness between factions was unacceptable.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Somehow this disparity made it through SOE QA.

This simply isn't ok, wasn't fair at all. It showed an stylistic bias toward the VS that arguably still exists today. (darker default colors, darkest primary color, secondary color sorta blends in with indoor lighting and nanite glow.

Unfortunately this can only lead us to believe that camo coverage never got the attention it deserved and the methodology was applied differently to the different factions. TR inf has glowy bits on the back, NC has glowy bits EVERYWHERE, and VS without glowy bits that I'm aware of.

So they definitely deserve to be normalized. At least its getting the serious attention that it deserves. But what they did to the VS HA camo coverage for example, was absolute overkill. Its no longer worth buying camo at that point, it just accomplishes no tactical advantage and makes you look stupid.

So if that is what the decision is for the future of camo, aesthetics over concealment, then most of the camos aren't worth buying anymore. They should consider adding color templates to go along with camos.
    • Up x 2
  11. Hoki

We already have the 3D bodies in the game, there just aren't many of them and their *stripe templates* (I don't know what else to call them) are fixed and can't be modified with anything other than camo.
    [IMG]
    Car body shapes for comparison to infantry armor and helmet models.

A new thing that could be added on top of the 3D bodies could be a *stripe template* similar to how the same car with the same color scheme can have different applications of those colors.
    [IMG]
    All white and black mustangs with different racing stripes. This is what PS2 is missing.

And then finally we take fair, handsome looking, T-Ray approved color complements and apply them to our stripe templates.

NC color schemes.
    [IMG]

All of these cars could be easily identifiable as being NC cars with some tweaks. For the yellow and black cars, black is an unfair cross-faction color, but the intensity of the yellow striped about them make them easily identifiable, you aren't hiding from anybody.
    For some of the cars where blue is the faction color on top of white or black as the primary, there either isn't enough of the blue or the blue is too dark. These are the templates that would need tweaking.
    Some have both yellow and blue, but that isn't really necessary as long as the blues and yellows are intense enough to be able to pop-out. Remember, TR only truly have one faction color, it just happens to stick out to humans more than any other color.
  12. Hoki

TR color schemes.
    [IMG]

Like I said in my previous post, TR only really has red as their faction color. Black is a lack of color and is super OP to say "thats our color".
    No, we're just red. However white and black complement red very well.
    This time I've added some check marks and red-x's where I think red is not utilized enough. Where NC has yellow and blue, we just have red, so it needs to be present in any color scheme and needs to be there enough to identify us. For the ones that have the red x's, they just need more red bits is all.
    The metallic red and silver are easily identifiable as TR as well. The reds can't be too deep of a red when complemented with black or white, just as the purples and blues cannot be too dark when complemented primarily with white or black. For deeper reds, it needs to be the primary color, otherwise they need to pop out with an intense red.
  13. Hoki

VS color schemes.
    [IMG]

These would all be easily be recognizable as VS cars Not all of them need to have both purple and teal. Not all need to be the same shade. Where the purple or team is the primary color on the car, they don't need to pop out as much. Where white or black is the primary color, the purple and teal need to pop out more.
  14. Whatupwidat

I'm colour-blind to the point NC and VS look the same colour - never had a problem telling them apart.

Anyone that needs bright primary colours to tell them who to shoot needs to learn to play better.
    • Up x 1
  15. Hoki

So theres the
    • 3D body that T-Ray's team creates.
    • A new stripe template that T-Ray's and the community could create and sell in the store that would go on top of the 3D body.
    • And then we've got camo.
    Lets talk about camo now.
    [IMG]
    We can think of this car as having black as the primary color, with the racing stripe of the stripe-template implemented as an alpha channel with blue and white as its color scheme. So we see sort of a milky blue liquid. With the racing stripe implemented in such a way, its colors could change for any of the factions. Red-white, red-black, purple-white, etc. This is a different idea than merely painting a camo on top of an area.

[IMG]
    Similarly, you could imagine this car as having black primary color, with the racing stripes implemented with an alpha channel with black as the background and green as the channel color, so it can end up looking like just green flames on top of the black car.

Except you could change the color scheme of the stripe-template to have metallic-red as the primary color of the car, and the racing-stripes implemented as an alpha channel with a white background and silver channel color.

If you can imagine what I'm talking about, then you can see what kind of customization that would be possible with the addition of stripe-templates and implementing the different areas of those stripe-templates with yet more customization such as camos that you've already bought, or a new tech implementation.

I'd probably spend a lot of money on that. Right now I buy camo for the purpose of blending into the terrain, but if what SOE did to the VS heavy is what they're going to do to every faction/class, then I'd rather not use camo at all and just focus on looking badass.
    • Up x 1
  16. Govedo13

Well written and constructive post. Lets hope that SOE would listen to this reasonable feedback and won't do stupid things that won't only hurt players but would make camps useless to buy and would cut their profits.
  17. CNR4806

Yes. So much yes.

Dorito-based spotting in BF works exceptionally well because you can't use visual cues to identify enemies most of the time. Not quick enough anyway.

Attempting to make it any more complicated by adding another layer of IFF (color-based IFF in PS2's case) is simply redundant and as you say, make the dorito-based system less effective.
  18. Foxirus

No, let them see what a horrible idea this redesign is when their camo sales plummet. Because once this update hits live, I will NEVER buy another camo again. Camo coverage was bad enough.. but now its just ******* ridiculous.
    • Up x 1
  19. Goretzu

To be honest even IFF by silhouette is getting trickier these days with all the new helmets, certainly enough that with the right camo, helmet and decal you're going to be able to fool some people some of the time.
  20. Gallant

I also think that screwing up the camo coverage more and more is bad IFF design. Once this change goes through it means that they don't want to listen or don't care. Once playerstduio opened camo has been a complete mess from usless drab faction wallpaper to biased special shiny/color bias favoritism and even worse with bill. Gotta love getting killed with a TR heavy wearing the analyst helmet and yellow-orange camo that looks like a NC friendly before you can know what is happening.
    Maybe the dorritios isn't enough and every non friendly should just glow red.