[Suggestion] remove hover ability from ESFs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VonStalin, Nov 2, 2014.

1. GaBeRock

I don't feel like a nerf to G2A manueverability is needed. within infantry render, I'm often close enough to the ground to dodge the missile. Alternatively, If I'm high up, I can just outrun it (if I use AB tanks.) I feel nerfing their lock on range would be enough of a nerf.
  2. Psionic Storm

T
    THIS.
    • Up x 1
  3. CWorth

Yeah Planetside 2 is deep alright.. as deep as the shallow end of the kiddie pool at the local water park.
  4. Hatesphere

planetside2 is a bunch of people playing checkers on a chess board and complaining about it. but keep pretending it does not have the framework for deep game play as everyone ignores it.
    • Up x 2
  5. RykerStruvian

please don't remove hover ability from the game. i love being able to one-shot qq mossies and scythes with the pheonix (when its working)
  6. novicez

Ok, we got your point. Now can you kindly play more so that we can pad our stats some more? Thanks in advance! :)
  7. \m/SLAYER\m/

but even now there an issues with landing (at least Reaver) it just trying to clip into texture with tail
  8. Axehilt

But if you want to try to name a deeper shooter, feel free to try. PS2 is a bunch of layered depth at each tier, from global/continent strategy down to the nuances of each individual firefight.

Lacking understanding of chess doesn't make chess shallow. It's the player being shallow in that case.
    • Up x 2
  9. SNAFUS

One day people may grasp the concept that PS2 is not a traditional flight sim.
  10. Goretzu

To be honest I don't really understand how anyone (in a ground farming ESF anyway) gets hit with a G2A lock on, heading for the deck at the end of a lock-on cycle will make most G2A missles hit the ground or terrain, scrubbing them off, due to the way the G2A locks pre-track these days.
    • Up x 1
  11. GaBeRock

That's my problem- on the ground, they're not a succesful detterent for me to use, and in the air they ruind dogfights from beyond render, where I have no chance to retaliate. First, I'd like to see them not hit beyond render, then I'd like their damage doubled, but flares made passive (I believe you've seen me say this.)
  12. MajiinBuu

It would be pretty interesting to see dogfights without hover ability. They could never stop moving, always going forward. It would be like dogfighting with Phoenix missiles :D
  13. vanu123

Then take away lockons.
  14. Goretzu

The problem is no matter how powerful you make them when they hit, a good ground attack pilot won't get hit (especially with flares).

This is again why I think a pure A2A fighter is a good idea, as it would allow that to be tweaked against G2A without there being any other problems (as any A2A fighter should have no A2G capability).
  15. stalkish

I agree, out of render stuff infantry hitting you is annoying and shouldnt have ever been a thing.
    Id quite like bursters and skyguards to have a range limit, like they did in ps1. That way they could be powerful up close but only have a limited range to stop them locking down multiple hexs. Once range is reached the flak auto detonates.
    Lock-ons should have a 300m limit to start lock, but extends to 350 or a little more during the 'locking on' period to prevent ESFs from tinkering at that range to avoid locks.
  16. SNAFUS

Latency with receiving the message the missile is en route gives to little time to properly evade the G2A missile at times.
  17. Goretzu

Maybe, but all you really need to do is nose down on lock and due to the way the pre-tracking works most of the time any lock-on that isn't fired from a height will simply plough into the ground or low level terrain.

If you're lagging out then yeah it's not going to be as effective, but personally I wouldn't be flying in latency like that.
  18. SNAFUS

Its not necessarily a noticeable thing, you as the pilot will at times be warned of the missiles launch a little to late at times, but your normal performance will be unaffected. So nosing down does works at times if you are warned early enough or you are at least low enough for that to be viable. Also have to take into account of where the launch is taking place from, if the G2A sight has a clear line of sight with no real obstructions you are far more likely to eat that round.
  19. Ogre

To the first post, Here are a few alternative suggestions that would satisfiy you and make the game a bit more fun.

Hover toggle. All aircraft get an option that does not change existing flying. press "hover toggle" and the aircraft switches into a highly stable hover mode where it is ultra stable as a hovering stationary item, and able to creep around very slowly, but not much else. a 5-10 second cycle after you press the hover button again brings you back into conventional flight mode.

pair that with

interceptor toggle. as above, but it removes any ability to hover. So if you are not going forward, you are falling, if you are making turns you are loosing energy and...falling. Trade off? More speed.

with interceptor mode I see room for abuse involving getting around the map fast, not so much with hover as it allows inexperienced pilots to land easier, and hold their own in a hover fight but not to the same capability as a dedicated "Conventional" flyer.

or

Dedicated interceptors with hover land mode. Dedicated interceptors would be at least twice as fast as existing ESFs. Their primary weapons could be missiles, with secondary weapons being guns. These agile moves EFSs can do would not be available. All engine, all forward velocity.

or

thrust reverser- all aircraft loose air break, gain thrust reverser. Slows you down, and at a stop, you go backwards. neato. Exists on real aircraft, so why not. should actually be a more painless option for us all given my limited understanding of time to implement ideas into planetside.

though, realistically, I doubt anything will change, and hey. This is a fun enough game. I just have my concerns for it.
    • Up x 1
  20. Frostiken

All I'd like to see is a several-second delay in switching from hover to flight mode, instead of being able to instantly jet out of there at supersonic speeds (or instantly pursue a fleeing aircraft). Also, Liberator needs to have no hover mode at all, and a <1.0 TWR so it can't fly straight up anymore.