The New base shield system

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Diilicious, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Degenatron

Actually....no. The spawn shields are still the one-way kind.
    • Up x 1
  2. Degenatron

Light Assault: Just sit on top of Biolab or Amp Station garage, wait for someone to check, drop C4. Profit.
    • Up x 2
  3. Ronin Oni

Earned profit IMO.
  4. Alkezo

I was completely against it the moment Higby announced the desired change and its worse than I thought. The shields were never confusing and one death was all it would take to learn what shields did what. Its ridiculous.
    • Up x 7
  5. Shatteredstar

I like it. Prevents some of the crap at things like Amp stations where you got people aiming, peeking out, shooting, running back before death and crap.

If you're pinned behind the shield you're LOSING, you shouldn't get to play 'tag' with super shield, and if your infantry can't be bothered to run out and check for mines or C4, then that is a teamplay failure, not a "BUT MY TANK!" failure.

I can't target you, you can't target me behind the two way shields, so neither of us gets to easy kill farm or shoot.

Making things easier for defenders isn't needed, given how much complaining about massive base zergs and farming goes on on the forums, you'd think anything to make the game more fluid and such would be a good thing.
  6. Degenatron

Close to indefensible IMO.

I mean seriously. Now, to be sure you won't get blasted rolling out of a Biolab:

Step 1 - Check the map pop - if no enemy pop, pull tank.
    Step 2 - Go to the garage Inf Console, pull LA kit
    Step 3 - Exit the shield and fly up above the garage
    Step 4 - Clear the roof of the garage
    Step 5 - Fly down and verify there are no V mines outside the driveway
    Step 6 - check around the sides and foliage arounf the exit for engineers
    Step 7 - Return to the garage Inf Console and pull Engi Kit
    Step 8 - Go to v Console, pull vehicle

That sounds kinda unreasonable to me.
    • Up x 4
  7. Crowne

Yes, people complain about enemy zergs rolling them over and farming them, so making things easier for defenders would be bad...

Brilliant.:rolleyes:
    • Up x 6
  8. Shatteredstar

If bases flip overall quicker, leaving the area and hitting elsewhere will be more viable, and populations can not get tied up if they are SUPER TURTLING in a base that's been cut off in the middle of nowhere.
  9. PWGuy93

Ya had those same thoughts... should move the map faster but in play in game it doesn't seem to doing anything to change the play.
  10. Bloodlet

It wasn't broken in the first place.
    • Up x 10
  11. t31os

Ultimately i'm not sure how i feel yet, but on the experience i have had, i'd say it's in some ways better for the attacking force when they have the surround. You can't see out the shield, you pop out and a thermal(whatever) pops a shell in your face.

Honestly, despite reading the update notes, my first thought on login was "wtf, is this a graphics glitch", until i realised this was part of the update(then i just went with it).

I don't know yet, it's way too early to say, i need to see more... :)
    • Up x 1
  12. Schizomatic

Ugh. I can already see myself wasting so much time having to peek out of the ground floor shields of Bio Lab to figure out which one takes me out the most direct route towards the Sunderers constantly sending up reinforcements. Blowing up those Sundies was my thing, man. Screw the infantry ********** upstairs. The real action was making sure the attackers couldn't get into Biolab in the first place.
    • Up x 3
  13. BanthaFodder

As other pointed out, the opaque shield seems to benefit attackers more. I was in a Tech plant fight earlier today and I basically had to constantly peek out just to see whats out there, spamming q isn't as reliable since you don't really know where they'll be. Also since we couldn't see them they sort of surrounded the area outside the 2 horizontal shields. I'm not a fan to this change. =/
    • Up x 2
  14. AshHill07

I don't know how any of them are effecting game play as of yet, what I do know is many of them look TERRIBLE in comparison to the old ones.

[IMG]
  15. St0mpy

The texture looks really poor and low quality too.

I preferred the sleek look of the old shields, these new fully blocked ones look crummy and immersion breaking (never mind the obvious balance issues affected being discussed above).
    • Up x 2
  16. t31os

Textures are just textures though, they can be changed later, play it out a bit and see how the implementation(visuals aside) affect gameplay.
  17. Maelthra

I don't have any in-game experience yet, but I don't like the idea of the amp station shields. I'm imagining trying to drive a vehicle back into the bay and immediately running over and killing 20 team mates because I couldn't see that they were there.
    • Up x 6
  18. Diilicious

well you can still see all the HUD arrow elements through the shield, so you'd still know, sort of..
  19. Cest7

Taking away the transparency was a dumb move imo. I also thought the shield were supposed to have icons on them? Y'know to make it noob friendly?

There are no icons on the vehicle shields at sungrey amp? derp?
    • Up x 1
  20. MasterFancyPants

The NC biolab makes it look like you are driving your Vanguard through a StarGate.
    • Up x 1