The "Orion is Easymode" Thread

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HyperMatrix, Oct 27, 2014.

1. cykael

Orion isn't the argument really, the ADS speed is. LMGs shouldn't have 75% ADS. Most high BR VS Heavy players I've encountered play either beetlejuice or SVA-88 so you might wanna compare the latter as well if you're gonna add MSW-R and Anchor.
    • Up x 6
  2. sform

Why is everyone trying to downplay the strength of the Orion? So the saying that the Orion is the best LMG in the game is not true?
    Why can't we discuss this like reasonable individuals?

IMHO, Orion and MSW-R are more competivitely matched than the NC's LA1 Anchor vs the Orion in CQC. It's a long time since I've checked these figures, but I believe the MSW-R and Orion but have similar TTK's and DPS in the CQC range when the MSW-R is equipped with soft point ammo. The NS-15M having the lowest DPS and highest TTK out of all the above mentioned LMGs. The LA1 Anchor is a beast but in CQC, firerate is one of the main things that matter. The 0.75 just gives the Orion that extra edge.

The LA1 Anchor has relatively pretty good damage damage drop off which could be suggested that a way to battle an Orion user is to engage at range where the Orion is at a lower damage tier, make use of the LA1s lower horizontal recoil while going only for headshots, and hopefully be able to track fast changes of 0.75 strafing. It would appear to take alot more thought and perhaps ability which might lead people to believe Orion is "EZ-MODE". It also begs the question, what is a good CQC LMG for NC? Which many jokingly say the Cyclone.

It's not just ADS speed, it's a particular configuration of weapon stats with that 0.75.

And also as others have stated previously OP, it is quite dishonest to quote those stats knowing that skilled and unskilled have access to Orion for free while the other LMGs need to be unlocked.

One thing to note is that when a game tends to have a regular problem with lag, hit detection and registration, tracking 0.75 ADADing is going to be a problem.

I'm open to any comments, corrections, etc.
  3. Ikarius77

Please, be serious... The same player playing al factions will always be better at playing vs with ha... At least at CQC and close médium ranges.

This is a fact... Dont give me cold stats...Ads gives a great capacity to shooting when making slighty movements...

Questión is... Is this a balance issue o simple a gameplay factor of this game?
  4. Esteporg

The only issue I have with the .75 ADS multiplier is that ADAD is a feature of 90's shooters and should have been completely gutted by this point. But the main point I can gather from this thread is that improper use of statistics says little about weapon balance.
  5. HyperMatrix

Ok. I'll bite. Let's look at Kudochop and his stats with his #1 used weapon on each empire:

Orion - 1.13 KPM, 27% Accuracy, 25% Headshot Ratio [8,063 Total Kills]
    MSW-R - 1.32 KPM, 28% Accuracy, 28% Headshot Ratio [6,704 Total Kills]
    Anchor - 1.33 KPM, 29% Accuracy, 29.3% Headshot Ratio [8,593 Total Kills]
  6. Rovertoo

Since we are talking about 'Easy-mode', maybe it would be better to compare weapons stats for low skill players?
  7. HyperMatrix

That was already covered in the first post which is a non-selective performance of the masses. Since 90% (made up number) of players are scrubs, that metric would already be accounted for.
  8. Wisdomcube2

God damnit, the OP guy is so stupid it's mind boggling. You can't go by the starter weapon stats and compare them to non starter stats. Think of every new BR 1 that uses the orion/carv/saw. Obviously that deflates the stats a ridiculous amount, if you're going to make a post that long...heaven forbid you have common sense logic. This community...Jesus Christ.

So from what I skimmed, Orion is the best starter weap. Betelgeuse is the best performing directive weap. Like I said. You can't compare the orion to the anchor or the msw-r. As both are non starter weaps, so they are not filled with BR1 players. The thing with the VS is they don't really have a second tier LMG since the orion can do EVERYTHING. Some might say the SVA-88 but...meh.

Oh look I spent 3 minutes having common sense...last 6 months of avg. Again, if you're going to be a smug pos...at least be smart.
    7236 - LA1 Anchor | KPH | Daily Average: 35.99
    7254 - MSW-R | KPH | Daily Average: 28.23
    7276 - SVA-88 | KPH | Daily Average: 37.79
    • Up x 4
  9. HyperMatrix

We were speaking about the Orion. Not SVA-88. You should take that concern to another thread. However, even going by your stats, the MSW-R is the one that stands out as the Anchor and SVA-88 are essentially statistically equal. MSW-R is the one out.
  10. Ikarius77

This only shows that this playera probable played vs first... Orion is a starter. Its The only explication , Orión have more efective range and more ads... At the same skill level you will always have more accuracy and of course far more headshots.
    • Up x 1
  11. HyperMatrix

This player actually started as TR. You...don't know Kudochop?
  12. Shatteredstar

I can agree with it as best starter weapon, but best weapon in general?

That's a bit of a reach.

"Best" is a subjective thing anyway. Easiest to use starter weapon might be the better wording or most effective starter weapon. Easy mode though? Eh that's more a term someone who does to a weapon uses.

As far as easy mode....I find the NS-15m to be easiest to use because of how amazingly controllable it is. But hey each person can call easy mode on anything.
  13. Wisdomcube2

Yes I get that...jesus christ you're dumb. What I said was that you can't just throw in a starter weapon against the later LMG's. As people usually you know...get better at the game. The orion still outperforms all the starter weaps. And is the go to for all "MLGPROX420SWAG" players. The SVA-88 still outperforms the anchor, but like I said...all the top players still go with the Orion.
    • Up x 1
  14. Wisdomcube2

Yes because it is the most controllable...and has .75ads. You just take a massive DPS decrease using it. All weapons with .75ads need to have a RPM drawback like the SVA-88 is only 698 rpm. The orion should drop to that aswell.
    • Up x 1
  15. Shatteredstar

Not even gonna lie but I don't use the ads speed for crap. I'm totally a "oh snap aiming, keep moving forward or stop!" Player and my brain even laughs at me after I do it.

I like the SVA also, and I want to like the gauss saw more but I need to play my NC toon more to attach stuff. I will agree the Orion is probably #1 for starter wraps but really no newbie is taking advantage of things like .75 ads to any degree that it matters (heck in the first week managing to not die within 20 seconds seems a skill or learning curve)

Does the ads thing help more skilled players? Sure, but more skilled players will make better use of any trait on any weapon.
  16. Ikarius77

No.

Understand me, played al factions... Vs the least, i recognice it... I dont see this ads/Orión fact as an imbalance issue, saw damage and carv ttk makes him better sometimes, but when you are an experience player, you trull y apreciate ads because gives you the win when you face an enemy similar like you without a significant táctic adv or disavg.

Offtopic... Arg its difficult to write well from a tablet
  17. Wisdomcube2

....Yes, like the .75ads. Which is the only weapon trait worth mentioning and the only trait they need. Jesus Christ the amount of bias from this community.
  18. BiggggBRIM

I was comparing the weapons listed because the OP said they were better than anything the VS had. Since you asked:

1894 - Betelgeuse 54-A | KPU | Daily Average: 57.88
    1924 - T9A "Butcher" | KPU | Daily Average: 36.37
    7236 - LA1 Anchor | KPU | Daily Average: 25.09

1894 - Betelgeuse 54-A | KPH | Daily Average: 72.65
    1924 - T9A "Butcher" | KPH | Daily Average: 55.80
    7236 - LA1 Anchor | KPH | Daily Average: 46.58

Still appears to be TOO effective.
  19. Shatteredstar

So you're saying that higher damage per bullet despite lower fire rates is not something a more skilled player can make use of? Or a larger magazine or fire rate?

Yes I do see quite a bit of bias but more from yourself by only recognizing one trait or aspect as the only thing that matters. Other things always matter to the weapons. Skilled players will always make use of weapons and their traits/differences better or even weapons that fall in the middle ground will still be utilized better by skilled players.

Even if you stripped bullet drop and ads off Orion it will not matter for overall usage and kills because statistically the gun will STILL be a well balanced starter gun. Heavily used by those who do not make any decent use of those traits anyway.
  20. Renuse

Just my two cents.

Played VS for about an hour. Used the orion a bit on Live (outside of Test)... So easy I now refuse to play VS.

PS Drop the .75 on ALL Lmgs.
    • Up x 1