What's your Favorite Implant?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by eldarfalcongravtank, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Xasapis

If you refuse to use anything else, use Enchance Targetting. It was previously in the game, but was removed at some point to come back as an implant.

There are things that are very basic and implants don't really help. There are things that you can be provided by an organised squad and there are things that can not be duplicated by anything else in the game but implants.

Or let me put it this way. Who is more decked out? A generic Heavy with no implants or a Heavy that is immune to Concussion grenades?
  2. Xasapis

You don't have to. Basically put it on auto refresh, use Tier 1 implants and forget about it.
    • Up x 1
  3. Axehilt

Last I heard, EMP doesn't actually deplete class energy unless the opponent is actively using it at the time. Also heard that it dropped shields but they immediately begin regenerating because you hadn't been recently damaged. Both are pretty old comments made on the forums, so no clue of their validity (and haven't been EMPed enough firsthand to know how it actually works, and only generally EMP to clear deployables on my infil.)
  4. Archiadus

^ Which is why I feel that using implants just makes the game easier I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to use them just that I prefer doing things on my own so that I can learn from my mistakes rather than having a safety net ( surviving falls, auto spotting players that hit you, immunity to effects etc) that does that for me.
  5. ChironV

Silicon Double D's
    • Up x 2
  6. Meeka

It depends on my role.

As an Engineer, I use EOD HUDs; though, honestly, I can usually spot mines long before my EOD HUD does.

As a Sniper Infil, I use Regen Health, so I can use AI Mines to cover my back. If someone goes through them, or blows them up, either way, I know someone is coming behind me. And I can take a hit, and Regen will bring my health back to normal.

As a SMG Infil, I will usually use Regen health as well.

As a Stalker, I will usually use Safe Fall, for when I need to make those quick escapes from towers and other places that would normally kill me if I make a big leap.

As a Light Assault or Heavy, it's usually Battle Hardened, so grenades and explosions don't shock my aim so much.

As a MAX, I use Enhanced Targeting, so I know which vehicles to hit first and how many more hits it will take to destroy the one I'm shooting at. It allows me to prioritize targets and take them out faster.
  7. Nerazim

I only use my implants as infiltrator.

At the moment it's all about battle hardened. I'm working on Auraxium for all the SASRs, and without this implant it's impossible to go toe-to-toe without it. Flinch means missed shots, and a missed shot means eating dirt. Obviously fighting head on is not optimal, but sometimes you have no choice. Even when you are not getting shot at, missing because of a nearby explosion is annoying. This simple implant makes a noticeable difference.

When I did the BASR, hold breath was pretty neat. Mostly you won't use it since you don't stay in scope long enough, but occasionally having the extra time to line up a head shot is useful.
  8. eldarfalcongravtank

awareness is another great implant for vehicle operators to know where you are getting shot from or just to highlight an attacking enemy for convenience
  9. NC_agent00kevin

Enhanced Targeting for gunning tanks and driving Lightnings: helps evaluate which targets are weak and I inform the driver what to target if there is not a high priority target such as a Sunderer. The driver usually runs EOD HUD. It also helps us when we are badly hurt but the target is almost dead. Instead of fleeing one of us may hop out to repair while the other finishes the target off.

Regen for Infiltrator and pretty much all Infantry classes. Makes Medkits unnecessary and regens quickly enough to keep you in good fighting shape while far from allies. As an Infiltrator, it's very useful as you no longer need to choose AI mines or health. AI mines always won out since as an Infiltrator, you want to have an escape plan. Booby traps help that escape happen when someon is in pursuit. A look at my TR kill board usually shows loads of Claymore kills - my escape plan in action.

Also useful for Medic since you can carry a shield charger instead of AOE heals, and also leaves your utility slot open for C4 if you get in a pinch. It's pretty useful for all classes as you free up that medkit slot for something else.

For CQC Heavy I used to run Clear Vision so I can concussion made without the often wonky 'oops I got myself but not the enemy' nade physics.
    • Up x 1
  10. Cest7

EOD in MBT
    Sensor shield as Infantry
    Fall dmg as pilot
  11. zaspacer

I really like Enhanced Targeting when flying in an ESF.

A lot of flying an ESF is about making survival decisions: the ESF is very powerful, but it is also very fragile, and you have to make the right survival decisions to stay alive and harness that power. Enhanced Targeting helps with making those decisions.

Enhanced Targeting in an ESF helps determine how dangerous it is to deal with certain common targets. Lower health targets means quicker TTK, less time spent engaged on that target and vulnerable to other dangers in the area, less chance for that unit to strike back, and greater chance for that unit to flee. Enhanced Targeting gives you that intel, and then you can make the right decision. This is especially true when engaging other ESFs.

There are some encounters where you would normally lose, but if they are low on health (or you know how much health they have) you can win. Using an AI Nosegun vs. a Burster Max 1-on-1 can go either way. But if you can check their health, then you know at the outset if you can stay on target and win, or if you need to disengage and evade to survive. Also, because an ESF pilot can self repair and a Max cannot, an EFS pilot can often simply do multiple partial damage runs on a Max, then exit and repair, then come back and resume, to take down a Max. In that case, Enhanced targeting helps to manage how that chip away damage attack is going, or let you know if they have an Engineer who is healing them as well and your tactic is not working. This kind of damage, exit and repair, repeat also works vs. targets like AA Base Turrets or Skyguards out on their own.

Sometimes you will find a vulnerable target that has a lot of health. Enhanced targeting helps you identify if you can successfully chip away at them with multiple strafe runs, or find out if they are able to heal themselves in between your attacks. If they are healing themselves, you will often want to leave or (if viable) switch to hunting the Infantry repairing that unit first.

In order to get kills with some Weapons (Directives, etc.), you want to know what the health of the target is in order to deliver the killing blow with it. Using Enhanced Targeting allows you to use your weapons best to get a target to lethal range, and then be able to switch to the specific Weapon you want to kill with for the final strike.
    • Up x 1
  12. Erendil

I honestly don't get this line of thinking. :confused: PS2 is jammed packed with safety nets: reticle CoF, hit indicators, damage directional indicators, Minimap radar blips, headshot hit/receive sound, killspam, AMS under attack warning, auto-voice macros, etc. Even the Class Special Abilities are safety nets in many situations. So what's just one more safety net?

Plus some implants serve mainly to reduce/remove some very annoying and unnecessary/overdone game mechanics, like screen shake.

To each their own I guess. :)

OT, I normally use:

Battle Hardened - Anytime I'm playing infantry in close-medium range fights. Reduces flinch, and almost completely removes screen shake from the constant vehicle/MAX weapon spam that occurs during all battles of any decent size.

Enhanced Targeting - Used whenever I'm flying/driving/gunning a vehicle. Next to loadout selection, target prioritization is one of the most important skills you can have in a vehicle, and knowing the health of enemy units on the battledile lets you prioritize much better.

Regen III - Used for long range sniping/marskman/overwatch duties (Sniper/Semi-auto Scout/Battle Rifles) so I can carry AP mines instead of Med Kits in order to help protection my firing position.
  13. Raap

Yes it can be very hit and miss, especially in a Prowler (or any slow to stop vehicle) when driving at full speed. It has nonetheless saved me countless times.

I personally don't have any issues locating where I'm shot from unless the projectiles or projectile source does not render. I play with a surround sound headset so I can easily tell the direction of things.
  14. Sossen

There is no way to avoid a concussion grenade, either tactically or strategically. If you want to hold a point, there might be heavies that want to throw concussion grenades. If there are heavies that want to throw concussion grenades, you are going to get concussed.
  15. Archiadus

Kill them before they get to the point, a dead player can't throw a 'nade.
  16. ronjahn

I use:

Enhanced Targeting for MBT to see how much health remains. This is really helpful in target prioritization.

Regen III for HA and LA. I like being able to conserve my medkits, or not have to equip them at all in some situations.

Safe Landing III for Infiltrator. It's nice to be able to jump off things to either get a better position to snipe from or to jump into a group of enemies with an SMG from above. It has also helped me use Bouncing Betty's in a much more offensive fashion :)

I used to use EOD for tanking, but the first time I died to mines while driving full speed because I couldn't stop in time made me realize that this wasn't the best option. It was also pretty frustrating to often spot the mines before EOD marked them.
  17. Sossen

I'm not talking about just one player, I'm talking about an entire outfit stacked with a couple of quad conc HA in every squad, barging in on your tech plant point through the balcony. You are dead unless you have clear vision, in which case you can try to do something before you die.
  18. Archiadus

That might be a server thing, I've never had more than one HA try to conc. a room and I'm usually near the point area / generally outside as to avoid nade spam. :p
  19. Xasapis

Organized outfits usually run with utility grenades instead of damage ones.
  20. Archiadus

Then I have nothing to worry about. :D