[Suggestion] Give Vanguard Shield a Downside

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kozlovsky, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Shatters

Its about being agile. And the mag is the most agile out of the 3 for sure.

Then again, why are you even arguing about MBT balance? You almost never, ever, drive one, as you said yourself in a previous thread.

Why are we trying to "balance" stuff and yet talk about stock vehicles? It has no value in this discussion (and neither does libertyrevolution with his trolling, but thats another topic by itself)
    • Up x 2
  2. Messaiga

Hmm, just looked at the wiki and noticed it got nerfed back in April. Good to know next time I pull a Vanny. Anyway, I agree with your post. Some people really do put a lot of effort into flanking and positioning and it sucks to have that negated by the press of the F button. But to be fair, how do you give the Vanguard Shield a real downside? It's not overly strong in the situations it gets used in, but instead it retains use for a wide variety of situations. If a downside is to be given to it I would like to see the function of the shield redone rather than a simple debuff while it is active.

Slightly Off-Topic: Maybe Empire Specific MBT abilities should have their own slot? Not entirely sure how on feel on this but in nearly every situation you are going to use them anyway.
  3. Silus

Well we could always give Magriders the shield and give the Vanguards a slightly longer Magburner type ability to close the distance at Lightning-type-speeds.

Imagine Gear-popping, Racer 3 Vanguards with a Magburner equivalent blitzing the enemy lines.
  4. Jachim

This is funny.

The Prowler has the most serious drawback of all the MBT's. It trades any type of mobility or defensive option for straight up firepower. The Magrider I agree should have some sort of drawback with its Magburn, it allows it insane mobility to either flank or run for cover.
    • Up x 1
  5. Ixidron

Yes the vanguard has higher top speed but slower acceleration:

PD: sorry about that stuff in front of the video, but it took me a lot to make it work and hell if I'm downloading another video editor.
  6. Ixidron

One of my suggestions in the post I'm making, which is already several pages long, and probably nobody is gonna read it once I post it.
    • Up x 1
  7. Zotamedu

Could someone explain what this gear popping is and why it's so important? I have never heard of it before but it seems to be the single most important skill a tanker can have based on the discussion here.
  8. Ixidron

Yep, still slower acceleration (top right with gear popping).

9. Vaphell

i am short on details but i think gear popping is about hitting W repeatedly during startup instead of holding W. Supposedly it allows to skip the normal acceleration phase and you reach higher speeds earlier.
  10. LibertyRevolution

You still are not popping gear right... go watch a youtube video.
    If your speed stops at 16KPH, then you don't know how to play. :oops:

Please go learn how vehicles work in planetside2, you are just making yourself look bad.
  11. Bindlestiff

What, towards you? because that will help them. Or away from you? Their **** is showing.

Good one.
    • Up x 1
  12. Ixidron

No, most vehicles use gears, which means when you reach a predetermined speed it takes a fractiopn of a second for gears to swift so you can continue increasing your speed.

To "pop" the gears you must quickly release and press again the W key when you reach the speed, for example, for the vanguard is 16km/h and 32km/h, that allows you to increase your acceleration, but the increase is minimal, according to my video editor you gain 0.7 seconds.
  13. radrussian2

why does it need a downside? because your mad and nothing else right?
  14. SenEvason

Out of curiosity, what's the Magburner's downside?
  15. LibertyRevolution

The automatic transmissions in this game are slow.
    If you let of of W and then press and hold W, you can manually shift your vehicle.
    This is a basic feature in how all ground vehicles in this game have worked since beta.
    Too bad this game doesn't have a vehicle tutorial eh?

Ask any full time vanguard driver, it is far from minimal, as that pause at 16KPH feels like FOREVER in a vanguard.
  16. Zotamedu

So they have just introduced a small time delay at set speed intervals to simulate a gear box and you get around the programming but tapping W when it sets in, thus tricking the code to not trigger the full timer. Sounds like a lot of work for very little gain.
  17. EGuardian1

I was being facetious :p He says there's no downside to Vanguard Shield and it should be nerfed. So following that logic, Magburn has no downside - i mean, you get to charge away at top speed! - and it's frustrating to fight so it should totally be nerfed.

I actually think the Magrider should get a 'jump' feature. That'd be awesomely hilarious and I see magrider pilots doing crazy **** with that.
    • Up x 1
  18. ColonelChingles

It's like the ESF reverse maneuver... a glitch that becomes a crutch that "experts" are supposed to rely on.

Pretty much normally tanks will accelerate until they hit a certain speed. At that point they "shift gears", and while they shift gears the tank doesn't accelerate. This slows down tanks in the sense that it pauses acceleration.

For some dumb reason you can "skip" this pause by letting go of your "W" key and then pressing it again, which will allow your tank to continually accelerate. This eliminates some of the pauses in acceleration.

It's a really stupid feature that completely negates the point of shifting gears in the first place... it only is in the game to separate the "experts" from the casual players, much like how the ESF reverse maneuver does the same thing.

Apparently according the LibertyRevolution you absolutely need to consider gear popping when talking about MBT speed balance and not Magburn... even though plenty more people have a Magburner than know about gear popping. :p
    • Up x 1
  19. EGuardian1

Magburn is kinda bad TBH. Anchored mode requires some planning, while the shield is the most 'accessible' of all three. That's why people think it's OP, because they can easily see how it's powerful.

Anchored mode requires knowing the map and preferably having cover. Magburn requires some serious piloting skill and copious amounts of luck. The shield is a panic button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It doesn't actually convey any real offensive or evasive benefits, rather defensive (which can be used offensively sacrificing that defence)

Just like the Anchored mode and Magburn, a good driver will pick a fight where the shield will give him an advantage. Personally i'm fond of the downhill top speed ram and shield to draw terror **** from my enemies. God forbid they have friends though, i'm gonna get wrecked doing that.
    • Up x 1
  20. Ixidron

That's why most people don't really use that, it has no real advantage, outside combat it will make you reach your destination a couple of seconds sooner, inside combat it doesn't matter since you won't be moving in an straight line and the acceleration won't give you an advantage unless you are pursuing a lone vehicle.