[Suggestion] Give Vanguard Shield a Downside

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kozlovsky, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Kozlovsky

For the love of god give this shield a damn downside.

I believe that if you were to make it so that the shield reduces the vanguards speed to 25% of its maximum speed for the duration of the shield, the shield would be balanced. Not suggesting that its health pool or duration or anything like that should be reduced.

In its current state, it has absolutely no downsides at all. There is 0 chance anyone will put anything else in the shield slot as you would be crazy to not use the shield.

Reducing vanguard move speed to 25% of its speed during the duration of the shield would give it a downside for people to consider running other things in that slot, and will make it a much more defensive utility. Defense suits the feel of NC with things like the MAX shield and the phoenix missile that are great for usage in defensive situations.

In its current state, you can't be sane and say it isn't broken. Whenever I see an enemy MBT, I just pop the shield and drive at them and there is absolutely nothing that they can do. This charging with shield needs to be removed and be made into a much more defensive ability.

I have several hundreds of hours played in each tank with fully certed tanks for each faction before anyone goes on about "oh but you haven't done etc etc"
    • Up x 5
  2. FateJH

The main downside of the Vanguard Shield is that it is installed on a Vanguard.
    • Up x 49
  3. braytz

the downside is the slowest tank,less forgiving weapon,worse tank at AI role ecc. ecc.

2/10 for make me reply.
    • Up x 7
  4. WTSherman

It has a short duration, long cooldown, and cannot be canceled or conserved.

Those are its downsides. Also it'll fold like paper if the enemy actually bothers to shoot at it, it has less HP than a Harasser.
    • Up x 3
  5. Alarox

Then post your character names.
    • Up x 10
  6. KenDelta

It's not even close to being broken , the only case when t's broken is when you start shooting people in the face.

Don't go fully rushing vanguards with your MBT(s) then whine that their shield is op.
    • Up x 2
  7. EGuardian1

This again? How about we nerf Prowler Anchor ability? I'm tired of getting pelted with HE shells every 2 seconds. Or Magburn? I'm tired of getting a Magrider to smoking and it just skedadles away.

Vanguard shield is in a so-so place right now. It's not an "I Win" button against anyone with some skill, and it gives the Vanguard a chance against most manuverable counterparts as well as infintry with rockets. It's not like it's got the biggest profile to hit or anything, or the least agile of the three.
  8. Alarox

Magrider is actually wider.

Although it is pretty clear the Magrider isn't easy to hit. For one it has mobility, but you also have to worry about shooting underneath it unlike the other tanks which is made worse by it having very thin sides.
    • Up x 4
  9. EGuardian1

True. I think one of the most infuriating things is firing at a Magrider with an AP and it goes beneath it. Especially when they're on top of a hill and you've literally artillery fired under them.

The only way I consistently beat Magriders is close range with AP and a gunner. Except that one time I charged a Magrider and he magburned over me, but somehow I managed to flip him in some kind of wrestler move. I think i got footage of that, not sure. Hope I did cuz it was hilarious.
    • Up x 3
  10. Hegeteus

If you make Vanguard any slower than it already is, you would begin to warp space-time.
    • Up x 9
  11. abaddun

It's a pain when I go out on my way to get above the bloody thing only to be denied by the mighty powers of the F key.
    • Up x 1
  12. LibertyRevolution

Magriders are the slowest tanks.. I'm so tired of vanguard drivers not accepting this fact.
    Less forgiving weapon? It has the highest velocity of all the tanks.. making it the easiest to use..
    0/10

The only tank with a downside for its ability is a prowler, were it is locked in place for its velocity/reload speed buff.

What is the downside of magburn? That is isn't vanguard shield? SMH...

How about we make a new thread suggesting they remove the lockdown downside instead??
    Make it so you press F and you get 8 secs of buff with no downside.
    • Up x 3
  13. DramaticExit

The vanguard has a top speed of 0mph when moving sideways. Just sayin'.

On a more serious note, the Vanguard also has a huge amount of inertia and its acceleration is poor. Rather than "slowest" I would regard it as "least responsive"

Longest reload time means that each missed shot is more of a penalty than for the others... However, I would regard the magrider's primary as the hardest to use.

[
    That would be horrifying. I believe that the Prowler already has the highest VKPH. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
    • Up x 2
  14. Hegeteus

I'm not sure if Magrider is slower than Vanguard though. It's not like Vanguard has an afterburner, strafing ability and hover to aid in rougher terrain. Even IF Vanguard would catch a max-magburner Magrider with similar layout otherwise on a 500 m runway, I'm not sure if it could then be labeled faster in all situations. Agility is more often needed than long distance maintained speeding ability anyway.
    • Up x 1
  15. ColonelChingles

On paper the Magrider might have a slower top speed, but because it glides over the ground it is also much less subject to the decelerations that the Vanguard experiences. Also Magburn and all that.

Essentially if you take two random bases and have a race between a Shield 5 Vanguard and a Magburn 5 Magrider, good money would be on the Magrider. That makes it "faster" if it can get from point A to B in less time.
    • Up x 6
  16. Sebastien

Stock, the Magrider is 5km/h slower than the Vanguard. Certed, they both top out at the same speed, and it can be argued the Magrider is still faster due to Magburn and being less affected by difficult terrain.
    • Up x 5
  17. Alarox

That would be fine. Although, my suggested version would be something that drastically increases Prowler reverse speed and turn speed in addition to the reload speed increase. The downside I would give (because this version has extreme benefits) would be to reduce frontal speed. This way it is a situational offensive ability but also a really good defensive ability. Something the Prowler could really use.
  18. LibertyRevolution

The vanguard is NOT the slowest tank! Not by any friggin metric you want to measure by...

HERE IS A STOCK TANK COMPARISON:

Now FFS, get out there and learn to play..
    • Up x 2
  19. ColonelChingles

Huh. I'm sorry. I missed the spot in that video where the Magrider used Magburn. Must have blinked or something. Do you know when that happens in that video so I can rewatch the race from there?
  20. LibertyRevolution

Magriders don't get magburn stock.
    You need to dump 1800 certs into it for it to be worth equipping..

But hey if you have to lie to yourself and tell yourself how slow your vanguard is so you can sleep at night.. you are in denial bro.
    I posted video proof that vanguards are not slow. You don't want to accept it, I don't care bro.
    • Up x 4