[Suggestion] Remove AP rounds ability to OHK infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LibertyRevolution, Oct 9, 2014.

1. cruczi

Good one!!

No but seriously, it could stand for Anti-Personnel. But not in PS2 terminology.

Ammo types / MBT cannon types:
    AP = Armor Piercing
    HEAT = High Explosive Anti-Tank
    HE = High Explosive

Weapon classification based on intended target type:
    AV = Anti-Vehicle
    AI = Anti-Infantry
    AA = Anti-Air

An AP cannon is an AV weapon, a HE cannon is an AI weapon, and a HEAT cannon is both.

Some use the terms AT = Anti-Tank and AP = Anti-Personnel when referring to mines, but it's clearer to refer to them as AV and AI, respectively, because those terms are already used for other weapon types and it also avoids confusing AP for Armor Piercing.
    • Up x 2
  2. LibertyRevolution

AP = Armor Piercing.
    AI is called HE, High Explosive, in this.
  3. Goldmonk

Ah I see. My fault, it can be confusing though.

Okay, anyway its an explosive shell the size of a Volkswagen. That sucker lands anywhere near you, then you should become strawberry jelly on a rock.
    • Up x 1
  4. Sneakle

No, OHK kills are fine, but, the accuracy is too good at infantry, its rather easy to hit the head with AP rounds, there's the issue, not the damage.
  5. cruczi

By what logic? It doesn't matter how real world AP shells work (and I'm not convinced they as effective against infantry as you suggest), the game only needs to be internally consistent for it to make sense, it doesn't have to be realistic. After all, we're fighting a war in the 29th century on a far away planet, arguing that anti-tank weapons should work like in real life is like arguing modern day weapons should work like those from the 13th century. Also, even if the game did not make sense internally, what's the big deal? What matters is gameplay.
    • Up x 2
  6. Goldmonk

Actually, they are pretty effective. I agree that the game does need to be consistent, and it already is. I don't care if the game is realistic or not because I know it takes place in the future. In the game, there is splash damage but it doesn't OHK infantry (with the exception of HE shells). The only way to OHK infantry is with a direct hit, and I see no problem with that.
  7. phaelah

Stop this. There is no issue. As an AP tanker you are in no way trying to camp spawns or go for cheeky snipe shots. It's a waste of time and shells. No one grabs an AP tank thinking they are going to get their infantry farm on.

Know what is the most annoying thing to fight as an AP tanker? A battle bus full of heavies. You chase, they jump out you do a fighting retreat. Why can't I kill the one thing in that scenerio that can kill me? If I can land a direct hit while both me and the infantry are moving I should be able to kill him. End of conversation. There is nothing you guys can say that can rationalize why removing OHK with AP rounds is a good idea and good for the game. This thread should be locked.
    • Up x 7
  8. Hatesphere

sounds like 12 vs 2, seems fair that the bus full of 12 people willing to fight wins.
  9. phaelah

[IMG]

Changed the verbiage in my original post so others don't get hung up on semantics.
    • Up x 2
  10. WTSherman

Nope. The irrational aversion to all forms of one-hit kill I've seen from some players in this game borders on psychosis. Seriously, you might want to talk to your doctor about it.

The Vanguard's main gun takes four seconds to reload. You respawn in seven. There is no way that possibly killing a single infantryman every 4 seconds with a 200m/s shell could ever possibly be construed as OP.

It is not AP's fault that HE and HEAT have been nerfed into uselessness. The most recent nerfs to them should never have happened.
    • Up x 3
  11. TheBlindFreak

> brings up Phoenix mechanics as an argument
    > thinks it proves his point
    > another guy uses the Phoenix's mechanics as an argument
    > "How Phoenix works has nothing to do with this"
    • Up x 5
  12. LibertyRevolution

Look, another guy that has a reading comprehension problem.

Him telling me how it works, doesn't change the fact that it is a camera guided missile...
    Saying tank shells have to OHK as they are tank shells, is not a valid argument as a camera guided missile would too, yet doesn't.

I suggest you read the entire conversion before you respond with something else that makes you look bad. ;)
  13. TheBlindFreak

That doesn't make your comment any less hypocritical. You were the one who brought up the Phoenix in the first place. You can't bring it up and then call it irrelevant when someone else uses it as an example.

I've been following the thread the whole time. I even replied to you a day or 2 ago but got no response. But, if you wish, I'll chime in.

Armor piercing rounds should 1-hit infantry.

Yes. This is a justified mechanic, and it balances out with HE and HEAT just fine.

As already mentioned, effectiveness against tanks is delineated by an additional shot to kill for each step. AP is one less than HEAT, and HE is 1 more than HEAT.

As already mentioned, HE is a 1-hit kill to infantry with splash with a decent splash radius (disregarding Flak armor), and a 1-hit kill on direct hits even with flak armor.
    HEAT is a 2-hit kill with splash, and a 1-hit kill on direct impacts. Splash radius isn't bad. Just not as good as HE.
    AP preactically has no splash (the splash radius is so small that you practically have to just barely miss and hit the ground near their feet). It 1-hits on a direct impact. It has higher velocity, but that's negligible at the distance you'll generally be fighting infantry.

If I understand this correctly, you are saying that AP shouldn't be able to 1-hit on direct hits because it has no downsides and it's just as easy to kill infantry as it is with HE or HEAT. Correct me if I'm wrong about your position here.
    • Up x 1
  14. Donaldson Jones

No.
    • Up x 1
  15. NC_agent00kevin

Its easier to hit an ESF than it is to headshot a moving Infantry...

Its not easy.

What do we nerf next? OHK from BASRs?
  16. Hatesphere

that already happened, they dont all OHK out to 300m anymore, and in the beginning you used to be able to wear nano weave and ignore them. it was settled and now not all BASR OHK at all ranges.

still not sure why we are talking about headshoting infantry with a tank cannon, that like opening cans of soup with a shotgun.
    • Up x 1
  17. Bape

Actually it a good argument if you're gonna say "Real life a tank shell can kill you" Then a rocket launcher should kill you if we are talking about real life. This is a game though not real life so if you bring in "Real life" argument expect another real life logic backhand right at you.

However to this topic no I think AP rounds are fine as they are no more nerfs for **** sake.
  18. Ixidron

Do I really need to repeat my reply?

To summarize, several things that should OHK irl don't OHK in game, those things can be categorized as small explosives, the phoenix being in that category, so by in-game logic it makes sense that the camera guided missile doesn't OHK.

An unofficial explanation would be: personal shield and armor are capable of preventing small explosives from killing, yet can't prevent large explosives from killing you.
  19. NC_agent00kevin

Im not sure why we are talking about AP vs Infantry at all. I have never pulled AP once with the intent on killing Infantry - but sometimes you have to and I dont think making it require two shots is something the tanking game needs.
  20. Hatesphere

Agreed .the tanking dynamic is far from perfect, but AP is in a good place.
    • Up x 1