What Do YOU Look For In An Outfit/Squad/Platoon??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ChampagneDragon, Oct 5, 2014.

1. BetAstraal

^ This
    Playing on Cobalt atm (ever since i started PS2 1.5 years back) and it's in all honestly the most elitist of servers. The only thing i like about that is that i got to be good myself. But it lacks the 'side-fun'. 100% (or 99% to not be rude). All the fun videos i find about PS2 happen on Miller... If SOE even just rumoured a small lost hint of character transfer i'd be first in line pestering them to do it. I just don't want to start everything all over again.

I play mostly solo, a lot of reasons being written already above. Only squadding when i play a class that could benefit from extra XP or the people i join are actually organized. Also, too many times organized platoon leaders do unreasonable calls that i simply don't want to follow so i find myself much more effective doing the stuff solo.
    And then i like flying primarily, meaning i'm all over the continent. So that's a mostly solo experience since not many people can fly and i hate ganksquads of n vs 1. It's rare to have large 50-50 air fights with no interference. And those are the best, but near impossible to find.
    Some platoons that people create are very many times 'empty' and feel lonely, even if it's a 48 man platoon, meaning it's just a zerging platoon, no orders / coordination, just lemming in the enemy base and push on, and when getting pushed back, run to another fight. This is my most common experience with platoons unfortunately. Even outfit organized ones.
    And outfits, even though i've been invited before since most of them are, as concluding from above on Cobalt: elitist or zerg.
    The only outfit i ever liked on Cobalt is HTOO on TR side for when i feel like playing as part of a team and being coordinated etc., but i'm keeping my TR char away from it because from the outside it looked elitist to me (sorry, no offence, but that's the image i got while playing in one of your platoons HTOO) and also looked like i cannot break formation to go do my own thing.
  2. Hosp

The problem with most individuals is not that they fight individually, but that they believe they're fighting collectively. If they're told otherwise, they often point to their platoon, or squad, or outfit, or 'leaders'. To which it quickly becomes apparent. Many of the warriors that would call themselves soldiers die following the orders of fools. Fools who tell them they're great and proud of their exploits as their sheep are led to slaughter.

To those who believe they're soldiers; Stop at the next area you're swarming and ask the warriors to the left and right of you to watch your back and you'll watch theirs. If everyone can't respond in the affirmative, you're not fighting collectively. You only think you are.
    • Up x 1
  3. DatVanuMan

There are BOUND to be elitist outfits, clans or groups in any game. For example, DasanFall or The Enclave. No offence to anyone<:], it's really just what I believe. The issue is that some people don't want certain people to enter their outfits, and I can understand that. I don't want a whiny nine-year old on my outfit, but a calm, mature 12-year old could be my outfit leader and I wouldn't give a lesser crap. These elitist outfits take it overboard, though. I heard that one outfit that used to exist on Ceres said that you have to be BR95 or more, have an Orion fully certed, you HAD to be a member, and you had to be 20+ to join. Blows my mind away, mano_O
  4. DatVanuMan

Puh! Freedom is a ruined concept. Who needs sex when you have a tool of pleasure woven right around your skin?:p
  5. ATRA_Wampa-One

1. How much they spam /y
    2. How much they talk about anime
    3. How much they zerg fights
    4. How much they abuse PPA spam
    I love being in GOKU.
  6. TriumphOfMan

TE wasn't an elitist outfit in the sense you're describing. There were 2 requirements for being a member:

1) Don't be a drama queen.
    2) Follow orders.

We accepted any ****ter so long as they did what they were told during ops and didn't get upset if someone yelled at them for doing something stupid. We accepted full blown ******* like this guy:

7. SpartanPsycho

Sex makes you a man, not a child. That's why no vanu are married, they like the you know what to much to be a gene spreader.
  8. stalkish

Completely agree, problem is when i run an open squad and go after that hard fights, or relatively even fights they all leave in search of a 'easier' time. :( saddens me how easy most gamers want their games.
  9. DatVanuMan

Ah, you misguided simpleton. Why risk yourself to HIV, AIDS, or other immunodeficiency problems when you can instantly "recruit" new "soldiers" by placing the holy fabric around their skin? It is FAR more safe, AND cost-efficient:p
  10. DatVanuMan

Bro, you had BuzzCut. He surely wasn't racist, but he was a narcissist. I've seen videos of him cursing at members, belittling them, shouting over the comms when he was killed...
    No offense to you and entirely ELITE (Not elitist, I mean mature, as in SS-elite, the best of the best) outfit, but he was definitely was of the most unwanted and hated players in this game.
  11. nehylen

As a lone wolf i mostly join squads/platoons for the spawn or for points: either mine as eng/medic, or their own eng/medics. If there are directions given i'll go along, and if i'm bored or don't want to go along, just disband and do whatever i prefer.

I can't bear 48+ vs 12/ghostcapping so i'll just leave at once if it comes to that.
  12. Wizlawz

ohhh man!

a nade in that group in that vid would be epic!
  13. NC_agent00kevin

Communication. If I join a pub squad, which in iteslf is quite rare, and there is no communication from 'leaders', I leave. Simply putting down a waypoint is not leading.
  14. DaMann22

I think the first thing you should look for is structure of teamwork. Is the outfit cohesive or "zerg-like"?
  15. TriumphOfMan

TE surely wasn't for everybody, but it wasn't an elitist outfit as you are describing. It had some of the lowest standards out there for being a member.
  16. FieldMarshall

The short answer is good people. Just having people who are comfortable and fun makes me stick around longer.

1. I rarely (if ever) roll with random teams. I have very limited time to play to the point where i cant afford sitting in the WG or somewhere waiting for SL/PL to figure out what todo next.

2. I joined my outfit in 2003 (Planetside 1) and was one of those people who randomly got an invite. I was very inexperienced and was just running around on my own dying, and had more fun doing coordinated stuff with the outfit.
    Once that got a bit tedious, i stuck with them anyway because the OL is a good guy and someone who gets stuff done. The comunity was algo pretty good.

3. When i play solo its usually because my playtime is very limited. Im not 25 years old anymore and cant just play whenever i want, so when i hop on PS2 i want to make the most of it.
    Sometimes im also just semi-afk, or need to go afk at random, so being in a squad is not ideal. (Family life is so awesome...)
    Great way to get teamkilled for "camping" the spawnroom though.
  17. ColonelChingles

What... we're saying that BCP wasn't racist?

That's Sexual Assault on Nanjing levels of historical revisionism right there. :p

I mean he's the guy that triggered Smedley's entire anti-racism rant on Reddit, and Smedley is the friggin CEO of SOE. When you have the CEO of a large company personally threatening to ban you for doing racist things, chances are you're a racist.
  18. TheScavenger101

Hot chicks. /Thread
  19. DatVanuMan

He wasn't racist, he was an absolute doush. I personally died of joy when he left Planetside, and came back to life because I still had things on Earth to do. I could only imagine how he looks like in real life.
  20. DatVanuMan

I am aware of that now thanks to your explanation. But what I mean to say is that:
    BuzzCut could ruin the experience anytime he wanted to.