Explosives are getting out of control

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AlCohonez, Oct 2, 2014.

1. AlCohonez

Fragmentation nades, Grenade Bandolier + decimator x 12 = very annoying fight.

Don't want to name-shame but some vanu outfits on miller use it as their primary tactic. Very annoing gameplay, no to mention fps drops like crazy, all part of the tactic I suppose.

I wouldn't mind increasing the price of explosives (there's too many sources of AI splash damage anyway) and making nades explode on impact with barriers when thrown in a spawn room.
    • Up x 1
  2. Plorf

I feel like the resource revamp was part 1 in a plan where part 2 hasn't happened yet.

That of course being continental lattice/battle islands/ANTs to bring that part of the meta in. Right now nanites are trivially easy to regain, which is why this game has been very spammy lately...
  3. LibertyRevolution

Teamwork OP, Nerf teamwork?

Maxed flak armor?

If you are dying to nades they are throwing out a spawn room, what are you doing standing there?

Did you miss the memo from like 2 or 3 weeks ago that the new meta is grenade spam?
  4. Alkezo

What? Explosives are used even less now with the resource revamp... You're crazy.
  5. LibertyRevolution

Grenades cost 50 nanites, you make 50 nanites a min, do you live longer than a min?
    Then you should have thrown a grenade or 4.

Plenty of grenade spam on emerald.
    Here is an example of what a point room looks like during an enemy push on it:
    [IMG]
    (Yes this picture is from a bug in the warpgate, but this is a good example of what a typical point room looks like when under attack on emerald..)
    • Up x 2
  6. Popper100

It's almost as if people are using things designed to kill infantry in fortified positions. Can't be having that.
    • Up x 2
  7. cruczi

I play on Miller and don't find nade spam all that bothersome. But I try to avoid the 96+ fights like the plague, and even some of the 48-96 ones, depending on the size of the facility. Most of the nade spam in those fights is a direct result of cramping so many people in such little space, but when you have a properly sized fight going on then you see people using grenades only when it makes sense as a way to flush the enemy out of cover or do damage over obstacles, aside from the obvious enemies in a building -> throw nade and rush in.
  8. Stigma

I tend to agree that there is too much explosive spam. A lot of that spam is from vehicles, and that can reach really stupid levels when you reach the point that you essentially shut down any chance of an infantry-fight by virtue of creating "permanent explosions" in doorways and such by just blindfiring explosive rounds or stuff like PPA. That's mostly a base design issue I think. Critical infantry pathways just shouldn't be exposed like that. A prime example is crossroads on indar. When tanks with PPA and HE shells take up position on the hill above the tower they can literally shell directly into the internal exists from the spawn - essentially making every exit from the spawn vehicle-camped. Poor design in terms of making an interesting battle. Vehicles have their role in helping secure 2 of the outlying points. They should not be able to shut down the fight inside the tower.

As for grenades - its a bit excessive there too. Some of that has to do with the fact that grenade indicators are broken and you so often just die to invisible grenades, but the pure volume of grenades certainly has a lot to do with it to. Grenades are tools to force an enemy to move from an entrenched position. They should not be a primary means of getting kills in an of themselves.

That said - if you fix the grenade indicators and heavily nerf AV grenades against infantry (make them sticky vs vehicles/MAXes and actually effective vs vehicles in return) then you would go a long way towards alleviating the problem. As powerful as standard grenades are, at least they don't cover an entire room - and as long as you can see them you should be able to avoid them for the most part.

-Stigma
  9. Jalek

Vehicle spam killing through walls makes no sense, why have buildings if they offer no shelter to infantry?
  10. TheKhopesh

Oh look, it's every square meter on all of Connery server's planet Auraxis! :(
    (I blame directives having grenades as a credit option for some classes.)
  11. ColonelChingles

Unless of course you want to pull a plane or a tank...

I mean before I was pretty liberal with my Revive 'Nades because that's about the only thing I would use my infantry resources for. But now that all resources are pooled together, throwing a grenade might mean that I can't pull a vehicle when I want to.

So now I only toss those babies when there's at least 5 dead bodies, when no other Medics are around who can run in and revive people before my grenade goes off, or if my SL orders me to. :p
  12. andy_m

GRENADE!!!! RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
  13. Simferion

I agree.... they nerfed the tanks but now it's a grenade and sundy bulldogs spam.
    Moreover the ground shake seems back to the launch. Even with the battle hardened implant it's very difficult to aim if a Bulldog shoots near you
  14. AlCohonez

Theoretically speaking, one squad can throw a burst of 3 nades every 5 seconds for 80 seconds and it will cost them only 200 nanites which they will very quickly recover. It's an absurd and absolutely skill less way to capture points in any building. If the attackers set up positions between the captured point and the spawn the defenders can just go back, reequip and continue that shenanigans for 5 minutes before they run out of nanites. During that time they would recover 250 nanites... which is another 5 nades...

And that doesn't even include decimator spam.

To all splash damage spam defenders: why do you wan to dumb down the game so much? Does nobody anymore has any sportsmanship in them? Not to mention that the lag spikes and fps drops, which contributes to half of the success with this 'tactic', should be considered abusive / exploiting behavior.

I know you might have fun right now but when this establishes how meta looks like in a few months this game will be unplayable thanks to cookie cutters like yourself.
  15. Xasapis

Grenade spam counters MAX spam ... seems balanced, for now.
  16. AlCohonez

It also obliterates normal infantry, while nothing counters nade spam besides running away and then nade spamming to take back the position that you had to escape from...
  17. Xasapis

Well, if I'm going to get into a clustered fight, I use flak armor. If I use anything else, I make sure I don't occupy the same space with 20 other people, making us all juicy targets for AoE damage.
  18. AlCohonez

Right, but you do remember that this game is about the capture and control of points? I.e. being stationary and more often than not in a building?
  19. Xasapis

Really? And I thought it was all about the spawn camping :D
  20. MacavitySWE

Maybe it's time to make all rockets cost a little resource? Maybe like one third that of a grenade? So if you spam primary rocket a lot you might find yourself running low on resources. Normal use wouldn't be an issue though.