The solution to Emerald VS avoidance

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dngray, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Axehilt

It's not difficult to incentivize it.

The current Low Pop XP Bonus? Predominantly useless for driving the correct player behavior.

A bonus for fighting the leading faction? Well that would be perfect. It would be a dynamic 0-50% XP bonus for kills against the leading faction (also includes support XP as long as both your faction and the target have at least 35% pop in the same base area.) What determines 0-50%? The amount of lead the leader has. So at 33% territory control there's no bonus (0%) but at 40% territory they're a strong leader and you get the full bonus (+50%) with dynamic values in between.

Similar dynamic bonuses would apply to most of the major situations, and stack:
    • A bonus against the global pop leader. (by pop %)
    • A bonus against the alert leader. (by territory %)
    • A bonus against the continent territory leader. (by territory %)
    • Up x 3
  2. iller

I get that, and I understand that many of you are not the same as your more vocal members.
    But like another poster underlines in their own response to my post: leadership snowballs.
    Lots of other VS players obviously don't make the cut for your squads but that won't stop them from "imping".

I think that might be an even bigger part of the Emerald issue. We're looking at a "Meme" effect here. (on both sides)
  3. ATRA_Wampa-One

Actually, for you 5000XP would be about 18 minutes on VS, 25 minutes on TR, and 65 minutes on NC.

One other thing and why I love playing alerts is that you not only get some amazing fights going, but you also get some amazing saves and caps going which is the best thing about PS2. Nothing it quite like doing something like capping a point against a superior force and then being amazing that you could do that, or re-securing a base while the timer is in the last 3 seconds. Hour long zerg standoffs between two bases are a snooze fest where nothing happens except snipers and tanks exchanging fire.
  4. ScrapyardBob

The problem with 12v12 fight when suddenly one side shows up with 96+ is a failure of the SOE developers. They have made it too trivial to move forces from one side of the map to the far side without involving logistics. I'm sure everyone remembers the evil days of "steel rain".

Spawn to squad beacon - should have a 1500-1800 meter max range.
    Spawn to squad galaxy, maybe as much as 2500m.
    Spawn to squad sunderer, maybe 1500m max range.
    Spawn to friendly sunderer, no more then 800m range.
    Spawn to "reinforcements requested", 1500m maximum range.

Nor should it be possible to abuse the squad leader position to reset beacon timers. Your squad beacon should start in with the cooldown timer active whenever you get promoted to squad leader.
  5. LibertyRevolution

They wont let me have all my character in my sig.. too big, not allowed, it takes up the whole screen.
    I use the old ones as they show how much time I have put in on each faction.

Times were based off my newer chars:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  6. Ronin Oni

OR maybe could zerg one front less and split your forces into more reasonable chunks that could actually be fought against.

People don't want to fight against 128+ player mega blobs.

It's like you guys WANT to dissuade any attempt at anyone actuall fighting you to stop you.

So that's what you get. Nobody even bothers. Congratulations. You won menaingless territory. Have a cookie and ****** SPM because base caps alone suck for XP.
    • Up x 1
  7. Zapon

When they implement Companies- I dont think commanders will really want to go after groups of 192 players each- they'd get farmed, one platoon of 48 isn't taking on 4 times it's numbers of a company, let alone in a base where the 192 are defending
  8. Negator

Zap, you should probably give this up. Nobody is going to rn around with 4 platoons in a single region. its stupid.
  9. ATRA_Wampa-One

Something tells me you've never heard of AOD...
    • Up x 1
  10. Zapon

...As the post under htis one implies, I suspect outfits will- so it'll start with them....

It does depend on numbers and pop, yeah....

But i'd question if it's stupid during certain times, given the pop situation that is complained about
  11. Diilicious

I only have an NC character, if i wanted to play the other factions id already be doing that. but thats far too much grinding.

its taken me this long to get all the things ive worked my *** off for, the idea of starting all over again is just NOPE.

if the server tells me "sorry there are already too many NC players online, please join another faction"

I will say "oh, damn.." and turn off the game hoping tomorow i can get in without being locked out.
  12. Shockfc

So, I'm trying to wrap my head around your line of thinking in this thread.

Because many of my members are able to take on much greater numbers, we are immature because we are pub stomping? How is that logical thinking at all?

We've saved more bases than most people even realize. Yet still you come at us with hostility as if we should act or do certain things in order to be "professional" and "mature".

I'm fully aware that people like me are not the sweetest apples on the tree, but you have to get away from this line of thinking that myself and the leadership of my outfit are evil toxic monsters. None of us play this game to try to poison our server or this community, we just play to have some fun, BS on TS3, and shoot at people. There is no greater cause in this game to us, aside from the competitive edge which is an entirely different subject.

I've never told you how to behave in game, stop telling us how we should play.
  13. LibertyRevolution

Its not nearly as much grinding as it was at launch, I recommend that all players play all factions.
    Even if you don't play it for long, at least put in the time to get to BR20, it gives you a better perspective of the game.

Do you play on Emerald?
    I would gladly give you you free vehicles, or you could gun my lib, or whatever I can do to help you put in time on other factions.
  14. Nano(zip/zap)

I think it would help if nanite resources were effected by continent pop. After all it does no good pulling a sundy to attack a base when the enemy pulls literally 30 scythes to one hex all with trial rockets and there is now way to counter that. This game all comes down to resources and where and when you can get them. A group of 30 guys spamming grenades on a point will clear it out pretty fast, especially when there are only 10 guys defending that point.

The ability for the numerically larger force to all be better supplied makes it neigh impossible for a smaller force to withstand. 750 nanites per person and having more people already equals more tanks and planes, that means gorilla warfare gets thrown out a window. No way to ghost cap a location with a few infiltrators and a single sundy when the enemy is able to have full platoon of aircraft and enough nanites to replace the aircraft they lose compared to the 50+ tanks and sundys they can destroy.

I also agree the Redeployment system needs tweaking like a shorter time to redeploy to the active combat area where you died than to a combat area on the other side of the map or to a non-combat area. Also the ability to redploy to an area behind and pull more aircraft or tanks needs to be redone to something more reasonable to reduce all the vehicle spamming. It gets old taking a base and the enemy leave goes back one hex pulls 50 lightnings and destroys all your sundys in 2 seconds cause you don't have enough people in tank to guard them. Now you couldn't get another sundy near that base for love or money.

I'll admit the system makes the methods I've listed all valid tactics but they also lead to a number of the imbalances. Everyone plays this game to have fun and whether or not parts of a fight were enjoyable repeatedly being on a losing side will demoralize just about anyone.

I just wish the game felt a little less like a Halo death-match and the use of tactics was more important than numbers. Or maybe make a way where multiple platoons can merge into larger groups and keep a unified communications system so that being in a bigger group actually counted for something.
  15. ProfessorHobbes

Ya, those dang redeploy zergs, it's a good thing TR and NC are honorable enough not to...oh wait. The NC and TR both do this in most of the fights as well. Every single faction on every single server mass redeploys to bases all the time when they are getting captured. This is NOT exclusive to Emerald VS.
  16. Juunro

I think we can all agree that the problem is basically three fold:

1) People take GOKU way, way too seriously. No, really. Ignore them. They aren't even all that good compared to the actual MLG outfits on Emerald VS.

2) The redeploy system is broken; you almost never see the transport vehicles in the game being used for actual transport. I'd be in favor, personally, of completely stripping out redeploy altogeather and massively increasing the 'deploy kill exp' bonuses. Maybe then you'd actually see Galaxies deploy guys more then once in a blue moon, or the Valkyrie used as something other then a gunships ******** little brother.

3) There needs to be some incentive to actually fighting against the winning faction; bases are largely worthless, and you get bajillions more exp with defending in a meat-grinder then actually winning alerts.

Relatedly, it always amuses me when people whine about Emerald VS - it's really like you guys weren't here for fuzzbuttpsycho and his merry band of 5 platoons. I mean, I will almost always pick the fight against the VS myself, because their non-MLG zergers are generally worse then the TR's and far easier to kill and because as someone who spends ALOT of time in a fully kitted out tank hunter vanguard, it's terribly fun to flank their attack and smash those filthy HE/PPA magriders in a fight they cannot possibly win.
  17. ATRA_Wampa-One

Finally someone get's it.
  18. Ronin Oni

GOKU is like a more effective AOD.

I see you're an AV tanker though, and yeah... I'd definitely rather fight against GOKU than AOD as a AV tanker.

PC + PPA Mags are like delicious cert pinanata's for an AP + AV secondary MBT... or hell, jus an AP lightning will roflstomp em.
  19. iller

You immediately went straight into Manipulating what I said to justify only your perspective. Worse, you did it under the guise of "posing the question", aka the Neal Cavuto. You're challenging the fact that something isn't working out the way you'd like it to but only to laud the approach which is most convenient to you under the rationalization that you have the most skill & this is solely the result of being better & more organized players. What makes this justification "made of Straw", is the fact that great players adapt faster than anyone else does, are the first to cast off the status quo, and anyone who aggressively or even passive aggressively defends the counter in the face of overwhelming evidence, is doing so to remain in their comfort zone.

Your response could have gone a dozen different ways. Getting defensive and immediately trying to reframe the debate while assuming no one else is smart enough to realize that approach.... is just plain "cookie cutter" and perfectly illustrates my point that a lot of VS players do not see the swirling masses that they're fighting as real people. Thus those real people pick up on that and go fight other people more like them. It's the same reason you don't see tons of Dota2 players uniting to pub-crush LOL players on Riot's servers. Maturity isn't a Directive, and social skills aren't acquired like medals. They come from getting comfortable in otherwise discomforting situations. ....considering the views of those around you letting your guard down a bit to demonstrate flexibility.
  20. Shockfc

What? All you did here was call my argument flawed and defensive. I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make