Long Range Weapons - Low Risk, High Reward

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Firejack, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Halcyon

The risk is you have no CQC defense.
    Tradeoffs.
    • Up x 1
  2. andy_m

What on earth are you on about? What reward? You mean in terms of K/D?

Certainly not in terms of SPM or KPM. And I'd even challenge that K/D reward too. Even sniping out at 300m has its risks... It's not just infantry out there.
    • Up x 1
  3. andy_m

You don't go sniper, do you?

There are plenty options out there for countersniping. The obvious one being, erm... A sniper rifle?
  4. Demigan

No range reduction needed. I just think you were lucky not getting your head blown off, a tank driven over you, or someone with an SMG to maul you. Hell, I've had infiltrators shoot at me with .50 cal snipers at range and lose from my Carbine.
    In so many other threads people complain about the Shotguns being OP, or SMG's. I used to use the MKV, which was **** but I always got a few kills. Now I got myself a Cyclone and the kills are stacking up! Not exactly a "long-range weapon". I also see many people being more effective with a Carbine than a Battlerifle.

Also, the PPA with a shortened range would still be OP. It would still deal more damage per clip and be capable of better hitting/killing more infantry than the Canister or that TR grenade lob thingy. With the damage comes that the Canister and TR grenade thing are both already shortrange while the PPA just has the ability to shoot at longer ranges.
  5. Firejack

Not 100% sure where you got those stats from. Very interesting results though. Reinforces my point of Longer Range weapons being Low Risk, High Reward. Since it most definitely shows higher KDR using 2 of the long range weapons I mentioned (Sniper + PPA), compared to my other weapons.

I never really looked deeply into the stats for the Long Range Weapons. How do these long range weapons typically score compared to the global average KDR for all players across all weapons?

Excellent post. Agree on all points.
    Looking at counters to long range weapons instead of trying to balance by reducing range is something I'd like to see.
    • Up x 1
  6. andy_m

I find the Falcon to be quite usefull...

There are many other counters. I've put in nearly 70% of my time in as a sniper and, although I can't prove it, most of my deaths result from the other classes, not another sniper, and that's out at 200~300 metre range. And, similarly, although I do my best to countersnipe, most of my kills are of the other classes, and I lump in with that infiltrators that are not sniping as such.

One thing I miss most of all, while I'm here, is 400+ metre headshots.
  7. Mustarde

Thank you. It's pretty obvious that the OP has almost no experience with the sniper rifles he is trying to get nerfed. Since when does KDR imply any sort of balance or imbalance? And since when is a 2.7 KDR with a sniper rifle anything better than average?
    Threads like this are the reason I frequent forumside less and less. Why bother debating game balance with people who don't know what they are talking about?

I think the ppa needs a COF bloom OR some form of projectile drop. COF makes more sense to me. Banshee could use a larger magazine and less damage IMO. Sniper rifles are fine. Once you take a single shot, that big tracer lights up the sky and let's everyone know where you are at. GG
    • Up x 2
  8. Aegie

I think this could be easily addressed by reworking the range reduction that occurs through damage degradation.

Long range should be limited by accuracy as it already is, IMO, not by both accuracy and damage degradation. If you are a good shot from afar then you should be rewarded for that and not punished because of such steep damage degradation.

The underwhelming range compression is a big reason I got tired of playing. It clearly favors certain play styles, classes and weapons.
    • Up x 2
  9. libbmaster

As an individual who cannot snipe, even I know that OP is full of it.

I have no idea why though. I barely notice snipers, an when I do it's where I expect them, and are used to them: open environments. They are in no way an issue, can be dealt with easily, and this thread is uncalled for.

...But I suspect that OP knows that, which should explain why I guess.
    • Up x 1
  10. \m/SLAYER\m/

You can always take a sniper rifle, and kill the sniper, who disturbed you
    • Up x 1
  11. Champagon

Well, all weps are not great at all things. You either pick up a sniper rifle your self or figure it out. Yes I am being mean, because this is kind of a nonsensical argument.

"Snipers are killing me and i have no counters" Completely untrue, you have plenty of counters but non-willingness to change a class is not one of them......
  12. Aaren

I responded to this already.

Nonsensical? How so? I would like more options to engage at longer ranges without being an infiltrator. I already play infiltrator and have enjoyed it a lot so far, turns out it works well with my playstyle.

It might have been a nonsensical request if I'd gone more along the lines of: "I want more options against infiltrators because infiltrators suck and never do anything useful."
  13. Reccettear

:D
  14. Alan Kalane

You serious?
    Ever tried a sniper rifle? It's damn hard. Yes, you will most likely get positive K/D while using a sniper rifle but who cares about K/D? Certs matter most. Second comes your faction ( I know this sounds bad but it's true). To get certs and help your faction you need to score as many kills/minute as possible (or assist others) and with sniper rifles it's hard to get many kills/minute unless you're really good.
    Banshee is an ESF nosecannon. Ever tried flying an ESF? Well, Banshee is not very good in dogfights so any average skill pilot with AA ESF loadout will tear you apart (unless you fly really well).

As for prowlers they give up their mobility for DPS and thats a fair trade.If, for example, a prowler got ambushed by a
    Vanguard/Magrider/TB Lib from the rear then it might get destroyed before it could even move.

Lastly, using an AV mana is like commiting a suicide because of snipers.
  15. day ofm one

Banshee is a long range weapon?

I LOL'd
  16. MarkAntony

This is what happens when you use the wrong stat to evaluate a playstyle. KPH is far more important as it tells you how effective the sniper is at doing his job.

Besides the "high" KDR that you are getting is below average.....