[Suggestion] How would you feel about BFR being in PS-2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheMish, Sep 1, 2014.

1. WTSherman

Honestly, if they were the giant heavily-armored and shielded monstrosities of PS1 that gave a single soldier access to more weapons than a fully crewed MBT, no. They'd be horribly imbalanced and would basically ruin the game. I don't care how many nanites you make it cost. Nanites are easy to get, manpower is the only resource in this game that is truly scarce.

If we want walkers, honestly it'd be better for them to be small, lightly armored, and only have one weapon either strapped to the side or underslung.

The issue then is it would basically fill the same role as a Lightning. Though one way to handle this would be we make a Lightning a 2-man tank that was more heavily armed and armored than the walker, and make MBTs 3-man tanks. They could then cost 150/300/450.
    • Up x 1
  2. sauna

I would lose all my feels if I saw a BFR in PS2.
  3. Bape

This is planetside 2 and a new generation with short TTK what makes you think the BFR will be the same?
    • Up x 1
  4. DatVanuMan

I like short TTKs. Unlike PS1, you can actually kill people in PS2. However, do MAXes suffer from short TTKs? NOPE. I just don't want them in the game, do you?
  5. Gicod

The BFR was a monstrous murder machine. It came in 2 variants, the 2 person ground and the 1 person flight. It was the only thing in PS1 that was hitboxed. It had a shield bubble around it controlled by the shield generator on its butt. Small arms was supposed to be the counter to the BFR so anything smaller than 25 mm would pass through the bubble and score hits. Heavy ordinance was blocked by the regenerating bubble and you needed to first beat down the shield before doing damage to the BFR itself.

You could however get in close, inside the bubble and deal damage with AV weapons. A common tactic for taking them down was for an AV-certed heavy to bail from a mossy over it and shoot it with Decimators from between it's legs. The bubble also gave it no protection from mines so they too were effective. My wife and I were a dedicated Vanguard team back then and had great success charging them and stuffing the muzzle of our main gun inside the bubble. It was usually a one way trip because our splash killed us too but it was a small price to pay to get one off the field. It was pointless to engage at range though unless it's shield was down.

Because it was hitboxed you could damage or destroy it's individual systems. Arm hits would reduce weapon speed or disable them altogether. Leg hits hurt it's speed and mobility. The shield generator could be damaged to hinder regeneration or destroyed altogether. Head hits would affect the gunners weapon and things like prox radar. Body hits would destroy the ammo in the trunk, etc. Oddly enough the bolt driver (the only sniper rifle) was pretty good for this and got me a few epic kill steals too.

BFR's were on a whole pretty game-breaking back then so I am hesitant to see them here. In fact, mention of them on the forums makes me shudder. However the mechanics of PS2 being what they are and the current arsenal available to players being what it is, it's possible that they could be done right. I don't know though, it's pretty risky. The BFR and it's other friends the Flail and such from the Core Combat expansion cost the game a big chunk of its player base.
  6. Keiichi58

Actually, BFRs came in 3 variants... A flight BFR, a Battle BFR and a single man BFR. The single man got ditched because it didn't encourage people to use the Battle BFR. The flight BFR was also a bit too well armored.

The biggest flaw was the weakpoint... The BFR was suppose to be an Anti-Armor machine, weak to infantry. But the weakness for infantry was not really 'weak'. The shield generator was placed in a spot that made most infantry really unable to do much more than plink it and the decimator, was suppose to be one of the pros against it, was difficult to work with given the weapon systems were fairly effective against infantry as it was armor.

The game breaking part of BFRs is the fact that the weaknesses that was suppose to force the use of infantry to be the proper counter for it, was literally non-existent or useful... The true game breaking mechanic was how the flail was deployed and used to spam nearby... And the lack of people truly 'spotting' for it. The Base shields also made it a lot easier for bombardment spamming.
  7. ABATTLEDONKEY

HA HA! yikes! easy up there tiger!! Do you know what ignorant means? Its simply lacking knowledge, or understanding.

I said short sighted ignorance. This is accurate because the method of PS2's implementation of mechs is completely unknown, as it will likely never happen at all. Your ignorance is your lack of understanding for how this game IS NOT the original, in that just because the names are the same, doesnt mean the characteristics are. You claim that because something was bad in PS1, its going to be bad in PS2, yet the very quote im responding to is you detailing the differences, which means that you are wither ignorance of how sequels work, or you are totally presumptuous, and therefore lack objectivity and probably shouldnt contribute to the conversation.

I dont get into the PS1>PS2 debate as i never really played PS1. I said that I sympathized with the PS1 crowd because, from all appearances, PS2 is to planetside, what BF2/3/4 is to battlefield.

take a prozac or something. geez
  8. ABATTLEDONKEY

I understand this. In order for there to be massive units, there either needs to be massive firepower/armor, or they would be much to vulnerable. However, that being said, they could always put in mechs that were say..... tree size, or smaller. Hell, a max is technically a mech, but all thats just theorizing. My point was that we cannot take anything from PS1, and believe that the PS2 version (if at all) will even slightly resemble it.
  9. KenDelta

Yes , we need gundams , who cares if they're equipped with nuclear launchers , give us bloody gundams.
  10. NCstandsforNukaCola

NO
    We had them enough in PS1
  11. Some1

Just some things that I haven't seen mentioned in the BFR debate

In order to get one you had to imprint in the caverns. To do this you had to kill enemy players there but also have enough people and fighting going on in order for those kills to count. I think it was like 300 kills or something like that. After getting that amount you then went and jumped into this core thing and imprinted. You could then pull the battle variant that was slower and had a gunner seat. In order to unlock the flying one man variant you had to get 50 or so kills in a row without dieing. The BFR also had a 20 minute timer from once you pulled it.

BFR were also equipped with destroyable systems which included the shields, movement, radar, and weapons. One EMP grenade would bring you to a very slow crawl and disable all your systems. The general tactic that worked very well against a lone bfr was to get into a mosquito and load up on nothing but decimators and emp grenades and bail out on said bfr and proceed to wreck it as the pilot usually just panics and tries to run off instead of getting out and dealing with the problem.

(This is just going off of memory and if I got any facts wrong I apologize)
  12. t31os

No, just no. Go play mech warrior instead(please) if you want that.
  13. axiom537

/no

Not only is there still bad blood from PS1. BFR's really never fit in and I do not see them fitting in PS2.
  14. Shinrah

CD was 60 minutes. The whole imprint process took me and everyone else not more than half a day. Two days after implementation everyone who wasn´t inside a BFR was waiting for the cooldown on his own BFR and had to play fodder for those who were inside a BFR.
    50 Kills in a row was as easy as putting infiltrators with knifes in a narrow corridor and have them rush a Hacksaw MAX with unlimited clipsize. The VS AI weapon was a friggin continous lazer saw, literally. You just swiped it from one end of an outpost wall to the other and all those guys ontop were smoking piles of ash. The AA weapons were the strongest AA around and since BFR´s could fly ....well screw the airgame.
    Destroying the shieldgen for a couple of seconds also did nothing to diminish it´s armor. Well, you could actually DMG it after that but as far as I recall it autorepaired after a while, and consider the massive AI capabilities even with AV weaponry equipped it was ny impossible to do much even in a group. I racked in several thousdand kills within the first weeks, and in PS1 you usually killed way less, due to lower population and longer ttk´s.

I do not see SOE finding a proper way to implement these beasts. They´re either going to be useless or op. There will not be a middleground. And BFR´s in PS1 were never intended to be a middle ground weapon, the whole BFR concept was to put something overwhelming on the battlefield. The idea to balance it with an unlock quest and a relatively long CD for PS1 standards didn´t work either. You could easily live long enough to repull after death, and if you died earlier, well you logged out because you couldn´t be arsed to play fodder for everyone else.

Just look at the Valkyrie, it´s actually not a bad concept, yet there is no place for it in the current game. And I´m more than curious how and if they can fix it. So how long would it take to properly balance and implement something as gamechanging as BFR´s? Balance the stuff we have now, instead of opening a new front.
  15. Axehilt

• I don't mind giant robots personally.
    • I DO mind losing the players who hate giant robots.
    • If they're a vehicle which fills a unique niche in the battlefield, then that would be great. I would want to specifically avoid their design from PS1 though, since while decimator-hotdropping allowed a skilled player to solo them most of the time, the average player was incapable of this and to them the vehicle just represented something wholly overpowered. And even for skilled players it's not like they fit into the mix of vehicles that well.
  16. Dramonicous

Big humanoid robots, or Mechs belong to Mechwarrior franchise and japanesse anime.
    You can legally put them in other stuff BUT they DO NOT belong there.

Why would anyone ever construct such a vehicle?
    From a realistic point of view then making the legs balance on flat terrains is insanely hard and lets not even talk about rough terrain that we see on auraxis. There is no advantage to standing on 2 legs over wheels or caterpillar tracks whatsoever, infact it only has downsides. For example imagine taking a hit from a cannon in the upper portion of the body, you would be knocked to the ground instantly.

I say NO, for many reason.

Unchanged from PS1 version they fill all combat vehicles role and make all those vehicles obsolete.
    Anything less and they will be useless because they have a too large hitbox.

I saw another mention he didnt mind them but he did mind them being in game because players would quit. I agree on half of that post, you can guess which.

I also witnessed first hand what a cluster **** the BFRs were when they hit PS1 as I often found myself in situations where I was forced to attempt to solo them to no avail. I never ever wanna see them again. The only thing I miss about that "expansion" was the spiker, BUT THEY WENT AND F'ED IT UP TOO! in the ps2 version.
    • Up x 1