Single Barreled Prowler

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stargazer86, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Stargazer86

The issue is that landing both shots in a combat situation is more difficult than people claim it is. If you're up close and personal with an enemy tank, yes, you can generally hit with all your shots as long as they're sitting still. However, in close quarters, Anchored Mode is awful. A Vanguard will just pop its shield and beat you in the face, a Magrider will strafe around you, and let's face it, in the heat of the moment you may STILL miss a couple shots. If you miss, you're doing substantially less DPS. And let's not even talk about trying to hit a stupid Harasser with two shells instead of only needing one.

At long range, Anchored Mode is great, but now comes the issue of the double barrel's recoil. Firing the first shot kicks the barrel up a bit and will throw off your second shot. So firing one right after the other is generally a bad idea unless you're at close range. However, that need to pause to wait for your barrel to settle lowers your DPS and, in many instances, actually makes it just as difficult to hit your target, especially when attempting to nail a strafing Magrider.

Our 2 shots might do more DPS, but I'd trade that DPS for only needing to aim once, fire once, and hit once. It might just be personal preference, honestly, but I really just dislike needing to hit two shots. It only gives us 325 more damage than other tanks and has, in my estimation, a greater downside.

Plus it just looks dumb and lopsided.
  2. Flag

Any tank is able to survive reasonably well at the ranges where strafing makes it hard/impossible (as opposed to just harder) to hit the mag.
  3. Revanmug

The recoil is minimal at worse. I can easily control the Viper for long kill and that's a 6 shot with a much higher recoil. Why is it easy? because it's a straight vertical recoil which can be easily compensated.

Wait what? If you remove one of the gun, it's more than just "325" damage that you are losing.
  4. ColonelChingles

How about four large machineguns?

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  5. Casterbridge

Sweet mother of Nanites...
  6. Stargazer86

...you buff the remaining gun up to the 2075 damage standard. I thought that was implied.

And no. The Viper might be good at long ranges for spamming at clustered infantry, but not in any sort of tank vs. tank duel.
  7. Revanmug

so, you want a faster firing Titan. I see.

Did you forget the very reason as to why they nerf the Viper AV capability?

Hint: Landing all 6 shots was dealing more damage than Heat which could be done at any range assuming a player, not you, could aim.
  8. Demigan

Prowler reload speed: 2,5 seconds.
    Max Anchor mode reduces this with 48%. 1,3 seconds remain. This is without reload speed upgrade ofcourse, but let's forget about that one.
    1,3 seconds reload, 0,5 seconds to fire 2 shots. This means with a HEAT cannon you deal 2000 damage and are reloaded every 1,8 seconds.
    with reload speed upgrade you would have a cycle of 1,2 seconds (0,8 seconds reload after 2 shots)
    Vanguard AP deals 2075 damage with one shot and reloads in 3,5 seconds with reload speed upgrade. This means the Anchored Prowler does almost 2 cycles of firing and reloading in the time that the Vanguard fires ONCE and is reloaded, yes that is 4 shots and nearly being reloaded for shots 5 and 6 while the Vanguard has only fired 1 shot. With reload speed upgrade the Prowler fires 6 shots and is almost reloaded for shots 7 and 8 while the Vanguard has only fired 1 shot.
    So yeah, I think the Prowler can afford to mis one shot. The Vanguard missing one shot is a bit more detrimental.
    The Vnaguard pops his shield, giving him 2000 extra health, whih the Prowler pops right off even when hitting the front or side.

These 'gripes' are all applicable to the Vanguard and Magrider almost as much.
    • Up x 1
  9. Xervous

The prowler has to deal with its 0.5s refire after each and every shot, putting the actual time for a full on volley at 2.3s in such a case.

Max upgrade prowler volley: 2.04s
  10. TTex11

You should really be asking for something MUCH more important.

That the Halberd doesn't block so much of the driver's view. Gawd, I dunno how you guys put up with that.
  11. Flag

The same way the VS ignore the blinding effect of the Saron?
    We ignore it.
  12. Frosty The Pyro

thats not accurate. to get 880 you are ignoring the prowlers refire (0.5 seconds per shot) and calcualting as if the prowler had a 2.5 second fire cycle. The prowler has a 3.5 second fire cycle resulting in 629 dps compared to the vanguards 437. Still a very LARGE increase, but its important to be accurate.
  13. DramaticExit

Yup, fair point. I neglected that. It's still pretty huge though.

In all honesty, that half second is roughly the time you need to re-adjust your aim after taking a shot.
  14. Demigan

No, I already took that into account.

As said, without reload speed upgrade and with maximum Anchor mode you have 1,3 seconds reload speed, with 0,5 seconds for firing both shots this comes up to 1,8 seconds. Remember that the first shot is instantaneous and does not require 0,5 seconds, only the second shot requires that.

Depending on how they calculate it, the Maximum prowler reload speed ends up on 1,04 seconds (substract the 0,5 seconds from reload speed upgrade and take 48% off for Anchor mode afterwards), or it ends up on 0,8 seconds (first take 48% off then take 0,5 seconds off the reload speed). Then you add the 0,5 seconds of refire for ONE shot (first instantaneous) and you get either 1,54 seconds per cycle of shoot 2 and reload, or 1,3 seconds per cycle of shoot 2 and reload.

That's not accurate either.
    The Prowler has a refire of 0,5 seconds, but the first shot is instantaneous. You don't have a delay on firing your first shot do you? That means your complete cycle comes down to 3 seconds without reload speed or Anchor.
    Just another example: When you fire your LMG or Carbine, it also has a refire rate based on it's RPM. But when you press the fire button there is no delay for the first shot. So for completely emptying your magazine you need to calculate the RPM and then take one bullet off the magazine since that one is instantly fired regardless off the RPM.

If you want to do calculations easily for any weapon, use this:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-0nAFSq5c6yaGhqWWJncTdFbFNOQk1UU20tWF8ybTN4YWhN/edit?usp=sharing

I'm updating it today to get a few kinks out, such as the Vanguard+shield TTK not calculating properly. But the math behind the rest is all OK as far as I know. If you do find some faulty calculation somewhere notify me and I'll look into it. Just provide some idea of what is wrong and why.

Edit:
    I just did a frame-by-frame of a Prowler with MAX anchor and MAX reload speed firing, it took one cycle 1,8 seconds. That is firing 2 shots and reloading completely.
  15. Prudentia

Spiker, Lancer, Vortex, Railjack and downgraded Railjack would like to talk with you :p
  16. Frosty The Pyro

the reifre delay happens AFTER each shot.

yes the first shot is instantaneous, but the refire still happens after the last shot before reloading can begin, so you can ignore one shot when determing how long it takes to dump a mag, but you cannot ignore that shot when determining a fire cycle.
    • Up x 1
  17. Xasapis

I don't see how the OP's suggestion will come to pass without a significant loss of DPS for the Prowler. The very reason this huge gap in damage exists is exactly because it is divided in tow shots. Developers expect most people to lose some of those two shots and still come on top in the DPS race. Imagine how far ahead people who don't miss much are in this race.
  18. Demigan

After my test I must admit that you are right. However, the test also shows that a max Anchor with max reload speed upgrade has a fire cycle of 1,8 seconds total.
  19. Canaris

I should hope any MBT update includes putting the Prowlers guns in the centre of the damn tank.
  20. Ripster

It's purely cosmetic anymore. Projectile still fires from the center of your screen for collision calculations anymore.