Why do you not use lancer or phoenix?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Pikachu, Jul 14, 2014.

1. DatVanuMan

The Lancer is the Morgan Freeman equivalent of awesome. I LOVE IT.
  2. Zimmerit

I use Phoenix a month now and i really love it... for sure you can't use it in open space but in right hidden place (and engi ammo near^^) is a beast.
  3. MrNature72

Because I don't have the certs to buy the Phoenix.
  4. TheBand1t

Because it's situational

90% of the time I'd rather have a default
  5. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Speaking from experience, the Lancer has the same problem as a Lasher, in that alone, it doesn't work out very well, and you draw attention.
    The main difference is that with the Lancer you can steal kills, instead of the other way around.
    Last time I pulled a Lancer on Defense, I got 4 Lightnings and a Prowler, not counting Assists.
    Definitely useful.
    But it depends on terrain.
    • Up x 1
  6. Pikachu

I got 7000 certs to spare. :)
  7. void666

I love my lancer. It's too situational but it's very good at what it's suposed to do. Got many crazy kills with it.
  8. MrNature72

I have, like, maybe 100.
  9. lawn gnome

if you could hold the charge indefinitely i would use it, but otherwise the decimator works too well for me.
  10. starlinvf

All 3 ESRLs are Situational, but the main reason the Striker gets left out of the argument is its similarities to the Annihilator.

Anyway.... The Phoenix excels at moderate terrain, area denial. An issue that pops up is that terrain heavily dictates how well the Phoenix works, even though it shouldn't affect a cam ATGM. Its incredible in forested areas of Amerish and the Swampy wet lands of Hossin, but suffers terribly in the wide open areas of Esamir, and the thicker brushy hills of Hossin's high lands. Basically any place where vehicles are hindered, but infantry is not.

The Lancer's one and only Major issue is its damage output. The charge time and frequent reload would seem less severe if each shot was hit a bit harder.
  11. vanu123

I find at least one phoenix every other battle, the reason the lancer is so rare is because it is weak, it tickles armor. The only time I use it is when a platoon of my friends pull a lasher/lancer squad for the lolz.
    If you have to use a weapon in groups it is not balanced.
  12. Takoita

When I play my non-TR characters I use both. I gnash my teeth at the lack of dumbfire mode for the Phoenix and those fat vision-obscuring vehicle icons while aiming Lancer, yes. But in general, if I don't do stupid mistakes and play with the team, I can contribute to the FREEDOM/SCIENCE even as a complete lonewolf pretty nicely.
    • Up x 1
  13. Loco

People don't generally gear for "group" mentality. Let me give you an example. If a squad all had grenade bandolier and threw in 3 grenades into a room, some off windows some off walls, some AV some frags, there would be nothing left inside. Yet I have never seen more than a few grenades tossed at a time.

People don't like gearing for group situations, they like to be self sufficient. As a Vanu Heavy Assault player with over 20k kills on LMG's I can tell you that I would prefer a decimator over lancer in most situations. Lancer won't allow me to kill anything solo, decimator can be fired on the run, with an AV grenade tossed first it can take a max from 100% life to 0 within milliseconds. Deci will instant kill strifing or hovering ESF's, it will apply supressive damage when defending on top of a ammo pack. Rockets can kill a person behind shallow cover such as a small crate against a wall by aiming at the floor just beyond the crate. Rockets, with enough luck can destroy tanks in a 1 v 1 situation, though still very difficult due to vehicles speed, HP, and how fast they can be healed vs the HA reload time and limited quantity.

The Lancer has charge up time and then auto fires if not released. It is difficult to time someone pop vehicles/MAX popping in and out of cover. It is GODLY when you have several together and calling out targets, because the TTK is fast as hell when used in mass. Without a goup, I wouldn't even bother equipping the thing.
  14. Gruntilda

The lancer is garbage plain in simple. Long charge up time to do paltry damage, and the projectile doesn't really move -that- fast. Sure you can break out the "Itz gud in groups!" argument, but the other faction launchers are even better in groups.

Stick with the lock-ons if you want accuracy
  15. Heiltdo

Are you sure you're using the lancer?

Because you just pointed all its advantages as Cons.
    800m/s projectile, its faster 7 times faster than all other rocket launchers, it deals damage up to vehicle render range, which happens to be twice the distance of infantry render range, perfect accuracy, no bullet drop, the tracer doesn't render beyond 350m, hits as hard as a lock-on,does massive damage to light armored vehicles, ESFs and libs.

Did i mention there is absolutely no warning for the victim that you're about to shoot them? because that's a huge plus.

Stick with the lock-ons if you want to fail at ground AV.

Phoenix and Lancers are the only good ESAV in groups, Striker is massive **** single, and in groups.
    • Up x 1
  16. acksbox

I don't use them because I'm too cheap to buy them. Prioritization and all.
  17. KnightCole

Feenix?

Cuz the Shrike is more versatile...can be dumb fired at infantry, planes, tanks, maxes, walls, boxes and quickly, without having to be exposed while I drive teh missile...plus its free...

And the damage done by the Feenix is laughable...only a few times in a trial did I kill a plane with it..
  18. Pikachu

Speaking of phoenix. :D
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  19. lawn gnome

OMG spend some frigging certs! oh and those guys are morons, while the phoenix can shoot around corners it doesn't have nearly as much power as the decimator. the phoenix is great for area denial, but not so good at killing stuff solo.
  20. KnightCole

Now post the screenshot 5 seconds after this where you get ambushed by a random infil, who promptly kills you with 3 mags from a beamer while you were driving the missile...