PPA nerf incoming

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Plunutsud pls, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hegeteus

Tanks with shotguns are... fun

E: Anything with shotgun is fun
  2. Scr1nRusher

I play Infantry/Armor/Aircraft.

Did the PPA deserve a nerf?

Yes, but atleast its a hammer tap nerf not a Battlehammer nerf.

But the other ES AI's need to be brought up to par, and actually be effective, with bigger magazines(20 rounds), Better velocity and damage drop off.

All 3 Empires should have good ES AI options.

you keep repeating the same stuff, but its like you aren't listening.

All 3 Es AI's should be equally good.

The nerfed PPA is a great " High Bar" to have interms of what makes a good AI weapon.(which is suppression,Effectiveness, and popularity/wide usage/Field presence)

The other 2 ES AI need bigger magazines(20 rounds), and Better velocities and damage drop offs.
  3. Kalivix

Well.. the harasser needed a nerf.. perhaps not the one it got but it needed one, its speed meant it was almost impossible for tanks to hit it so it could just run circles around them while slaughtering them, and engis healing from the back meant you needed to be pinpoint perfect in your accuracy to stop them.

Basically they were more effective than MBTs at taking out tanks which was insane. Harassers shouldn't be killing tanks they should be doing hit and run attacks / scouting, mostly against infantry, instead they were the best way to kill tanks. I've not used em recently so I can't say if they are balanced well now, but they needed to be stopped from being the best MBT in the game...
  4. Scr1nRusher

then The haraser and the sunderer should have Scout radar as a option.
  5. ePeenus Maximus

The nerf seems appropriate. You should be easily getting 4-5 kills per magazine, which seems okay, imo. PPA right now is pretty crazy in kill capacity and suppression potential.

On the other hand i wonder when the devs finally stop smoking whatever they smoke and take a very close look at combination of 1/2 prowler's ridiculous all-around kill potential vs vehicles AND infantry at the same time at all possible ranges, the pounder's insane swiss-knife use of killing infantry AND maxes with ease and MCG being thrown into the mix, allowing TR to crap all over anything you might muster as VS.

Also, looking forward to 40%+ TR pop after Miller+Woodman merge, with people going back to their TR/NC mains now that the last "op" thing VS had gets nerfed. Here's to the next 6 months of VS underpop on every server.
  6. Fenrisk

Harassers only killed 1/2 MBT's. Any 2/2 MBT with more self awareness then a Rock could easily take out a harasser before it could even dent the MBT.

Not only that but there were many counters to the harasser as it had to stop to be able to hit anything on target and it had less armour then a MBT even with full composite. As a Engineer you can lay 5 mines in routes the harasser would take to get behind your MBT. A hasser won't come head on and if it hits even one mine its dead.

If you have 2/2 MBT that's 10 mines you can lay down to prevent any harnesser from getting behind you. You could argue that (well I have to cert into x to lay 5 mines) So what? A harasser driver has to spend the same amount to have full composite as taking on a MBT without that is suicide.

The Harasser nerf was unwarranted. It required 2 people just to be viable and any 2/2 MBT could kill it easy and mines could kill it in one. It had counters but all the solo MBT drivers are not willing to use them.
    • Up x 1
  7. Ronin Oni

FTFY
    • Up x 2
  8. ePeenus Maximus

Harassers were the most ridiculous land vehicle we had in the past. Almost unkillable with decent drivers/engies - also seemingly ignoring mines and having no rear-side weakness - dealing stupid amount of damage for a scout vehicle(laughably easy delivered with old vulcan) and ridiculous mobility. Stop wishing it back.
  9. Ronin Oni

"Harassers chew me up"

"Hey stupid, drop 750 resource between the 2 of you (with a like 2300 cert requirement to have too), to protect your 450 resource vehicle, from a possibility of 300 resource flanking you, and that would be wasted as soon as you changed positions because you can't pick mines back up. Duh. It was obviously balanced. Oh, and did I mention hope the mine goes off before the Afterburning harasser has already escaped the blast zone?"

:rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  10. Fenrisk

Infantry resources are a non issue. I always have 40 mines saved up after every play through even with me drops 5 mines around bases wasting a few or using them as death frisbys over and over again.

Mine placement is easy. You can predict the route and speed a enemy will be going at by the terrain its passing to get to you. Any half brained MBT players knows what route the enemy will come by and to always keep your back to a area the enemy won't come by.

Keep your back to friendlys or a hill/wall. Mine flat areas's where MBT'sHarassers will likely move to and stop to get a shot on you. Uneven terrain makes it impossible for them to hit you without stopping and a 2/2 MBT still owns a hARrasser any day of the week.

Harassers were a 1/2 MBT problem. Nothing more. They were nerfed due to lone wolf tank drivers :p

You obviously don't use mines much if at all given you seem to think they are too resource heavy and we should be able to pick them up lol.
  11. Bape

Yes by seeing your sig I can tell you really LOVE shotguns lol.
  12. Siluria

Remove all faction. remove ESAI !!
  13. stalkish

Your last paragraph makes no sense, first you say 'its not because of whine' then you say, 'soe looked at it because of whine'. Im skeptical in the belief that it would have ever been looked at if people had not been whining, hence SOE only balance based off of whine threads and twitter posts.
    Plus their 'stats' showed the van as the least performing tank, what happened to that?

The problem with listening to these you tubers is they arnt unbiased, whatever they want you to believe. They're smart, ill giv them that, the ability to swade your judgement in their favour is a skill, alot of politicians have it too and their intentions are always genuine huh.... Ive seen alot of the vids and most of what they say is based on their own style of play, or their outfits style of play, they are also always a montage of footage supporting their POV, if the problem they speak of was so bad they wouldnt hav to edit, it would be blatantly obvious in a 5-10 min unedited version. Prime example is the Max unit is OP vid, forget the name of the youtuber, all it showed was a max killing troops, well no sh*t there, thats its job, funnily enough tho the vid always swapped location whenever it got clustered, guess he died and that didnt support his viewpoint. I mean these guys get paid, paid actualy money, to promote games. Anyone who can be bought is not genuine in their viewpoints.

The worst part is all the fanbois who are unable to make their own descisions. Ive even seen some posters who state they dont even try a game unless a certain youtuber says its worth it.....what??
    Its like only seeing films that a certain critic liked, other critics might hav a diff opinion and you yourself might actualy enjoy the film but never get a chance to if you blindly follow the critic.
    Spose its typical of todays gamers and indeed general society, if you have to use your own brain to think its not worth it. Lazy attitude of a generaly dumbed down society.
  14. Kalivix

What I mean is that I'm guessing they didn't do a knee jerk nerf because people whined without checking it out themselves, but that they heard people complaining and decided to see if it needed nerfing and thought it did.

They aren't COMPLETELY unbiased but for the most part they wont be as extremely biased as your average joe as it'll drive off lots of potential watchers. And of course you can generally get a better idea of HOW they are biased, so if for example you know they are biased towards VS you can use that to get a better idea of how things actually are.

When it comes to games though people tend to find people with similar likes to themselves as it would be pointless watching reviews from people who hate RPGs for example if you love RPGs, as they would know nothing about them and just hate it for being an RPG. However you shouldn't JUST base your opinion on what they say ofc... I tend to watch a lot of stuff on youtube and normally judge stuff based not only on what they say but on the gameplay, graphics style, music, and mechanics, as even if somebody likes the same genre of game its unlikely you'll like exactly the same things.

As for paid to promote games, they aren't paid to promote every game they play and when they are paid to promote a game by law they need to make sure that they tell the audience they are being paid to promote it. And editing isn't done just to try and prove their point.. if you just slap a unedited video on youtube the sound will be awful, theres probably going to be graphical problems, perhaps personal information in pop ups you don't want people to see. Nobody who is making money off youtube is going to be unprofessionalenough to not edit it... do you think they don't edit TV and films?
  15. Blazing Ownager

I own PPAs on both my Harasser and Magrider and I can honestly say they're more than a little OP. I've had 100+ kill runs, easily, on both vehicles with them because you don't really need to even aim: Just hose down the most likely area, forever.

I hope they aren't ruined, but I support a nerf.
  16. Wecomeinpeace

Played some TR yesterday and took part in a defense against VS.
    And yeahh, the PPA is indeed fairly annoying to play against. But for me the reason wasn't magazine size but rather firing rate combined with the flashy splash damage. It was annoying as **** trying to shoot at a tank with a PPA ontop simply because of all the lights, rumbling and disorientating crap. Which you don't have fighting against any other AI weapon. That for me ment the only time to aim and shoot was when the guy/girl was reloading, as the time inbetween PPA "balls" was too short to land a shot myself.
    The PPA balls themselves don't even do much damage, i only died because it took me way too long to get a good aim on the PPA tank due to that annoying and distracting disco lightshow.

So personally i don't see how this "nerf" is going to solve anything, it simply makes certing out magazine size mandatory. The splash effect both visually and in rumbling you around is what makes the PPA annoying to fight against and what should be addressed. After all, that is a perk exclusive to the PPA, and maybe to a lesser extent to the lasher (but there it's justified imo).

Aside from that, being a huge magrider fan and vs player myself, i pretty much never pull a ppa mag. Halberd is where it's at for me. For squishies i have the magburner anyways. ;)
  17. MisterBond

I'll never understand the mindset that the only way a player will use something in this game is if its completely and utterly broken

Meanwhile I'm trying to auraxium my stupid shotgun with a medic and still pulling a positive KDR, so maybe that in itself is the problem, too many terrible players relying on broken weapons in order to do well
  18. lawn gnome

magburner is a pretty effective AI weapon.
  19. Champagon

Incoming Magburner nerf
  20. Xasapis

Good luck trying to run over an enemy with it. Friendlies are a different matter entirely.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.