The Resource Revamp: Is it Pay2Win?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Cyridius, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Akashar

You, I like the way you talk!
  2. Scr1nRusher

You don't understand at all about the workings of forumside.

Especially when it comes to big Changes such as the RR.
  3. Pantong

This is the way I measure if this game is p2w.

If this was only TR vs NC, TR had 200 ppl BR less than 20, but all had a sub. Vs the 200 NC ppl BR60+ where no one subbed. Who do you think would win? I see that TR has a advantage is logistics. But experience will most likely still win over it. IMO. If the TR was close in score to the NC, I would think game might be too much p2w.

IDK, just the way I feel about this. I was subbed, I'm not now, I have not noticed a difference in my resources. (But that could just be my play style of inf)
  4. headshotsultd

OP is right. If you pay to be able to use force multipliers more frequently then you are essentially paying to win.

The only time this is blatant under the current system is with Infantry Resources and there being no timer on C4, grenades, and health kits, but you can go out of your way to stockpile ahead of time. However, if you've failed to bring enough to a fight and are counting on resource ticks to resupply you're essentially at a disadvantage due to lack of paying for a sub or boosters to accelerate the process.
    • Up x 1
  5. TheBlazing

No.

> Resource income is apparently going to be fixed for this phase since they have not figured out the facility power level mechanic yet.
    > Smedbucks SC was an "Indirect" P2W system in a way, by not having to buy weapons with certs, you could invest those certs in other things, such as respawn timers. Thus, not much change in this department.
    > Regardless of how much $$$ you invest in the game, if you are a ****** player that crashes his ESF 30 seconds after spawning it, you are still going to be useless even if you had an "unlimited resource" boost. Super-skilled players (rguitar etc...) are still going to outfly or outtank the time it takes for the resources spent on their vehicles to regenerate, just as they could previously outfly their acquistition timers. Again, nothing new under the sun.
  6. OldMaster80

It's not p2w, it's just the Planetside 1 way of handling resources. Nothing more, nothing less.
    And it was much better than current PS2 system.
  7. Cyridius

PlanetSide 1 didn't even have resources, it had Acquisition Timers.
  8. Pantong

Agreed, this system now is complex(I guess all I know if my resources auto magicky fill up), hardly ever have I ever considered a switching to a different base, based on its resources it gives in the current system.

I think members and boosts will only show its true benefit on resource starved basses when (if) it gets implemented. Until then, I doubt there will be any Noticeable difference in gameplay.

IMO P2W is getting a benefit that F2P people do not get. Like weapons, attachments, tanks, planes, abilities, ect that are better then what F2P players get. When playing, not looking at skins, helmets, I cannot tell who is using boosts and who is not. Maybe its the range between me and them, or something about their name, Idk. Everyone dies the same in game, tanks blow up the same, planes shot down. I have not noticed any thing. Yet people think they have an advantage. At a low BR, someone can have 1 class maxed out and on the same level as a BR100 weapon, abilities, suit slot ect... Where is the advantage in that? Yeah they can have an advantage over people close in BR to them. A few levels it wont matter as much. And they will always have an advantage(to a small degree) over lower level BR. Seams even and fair to me. So pull your prowler or scythe, quicker and more often than F2P people. Does not change anything to me.

A tank is a tank and they eventually blow up. And I do not see that changing anytime soon. But if I cannot pull god tank 6 because I did not pay for it, something is wrong, and the game is P2W...
  9. Ash87

So, to some people it is, to some people it isn't. It isn't a clear cut defintion, there is no Websters definition of the term, so it's purely subjective, whether you determine it to be p2w or not.

If you think debating this will change someone's mind, I have this buddy who needs a rock rolled up a hill.
    • Up x 1
  10. Nepau

The resource revamp is not going to make a large change from how Membership and Boosts work now.

If you look at it as it stands currently, Membership Gives you a boost to resource gen as well as an XP boost which boosts your resources. Going to the new system ( steady rate, boosted by membership or boosts) will likely act the same way. I will grant you that it will remove the portion that a non sub member could get more resources for performing better, but I think in the end it will rely far more on general resource generation vs usage. Ultimately I'm not sure if there is a way to really gauge the effect this change would have on the Live servers without having it actually be live. I do hope that they do pay close attention to it so that if it really does have a large effect they will fix it. As someone who has had membership since Launch I would rather it be balanced for all then give me an unfair perk.
  11. dedgaem

It's pay2win by its very definition. There is nothing here to debate about.

Now if the question was: isn't the pre-patch version of the game then also p2w?

The answer is yes. A mildly yes, but in such a diluted way, that one average player could barely feel the difference between f2p and a sub -regarding the acquisition power through resources- due to a variety of factors adding resources per minute to your game -> captured stations, different resource pools, captured continents, stations you fight at, kills per minute, military numbers (zerg or not to zerg... at the end of the day the bigger numbers would take over 80% of amerish and if you are in the team with the lower numbers, the boost percentage to +20 resources per 4 mins becomes meaningless), and so on. So, all in all, if you'd put dedication, skills, numbers and overall effort, you could overcome your f2p artificial barrier and have almost the same baseline in-game impact as subscribed players would have.

The lackluster argument, that the new system would remotely make it easier for the newcomers is at best a very cheap decoy argument.

edit: typos
  12. Dracorean

13. LordMatt XLVIII

14. Sandpants