Weapon for light assault

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by krokolop, Jun 30, 2014.

1. krokolop

Hello, whats the best weapon for light assault. I want to be rapid and have good aim.
  2. Iridar51

3. Kronic

4. Fellgnome

nope

@ OP, you're going to have to make a choice between accuracy and RoF.

I'd break it down like this in simple terms:

T5 AMC: 652 RoF, high accuracy, medium handling
    TRAC-5: 750 RoF, medium accuracy, difficult handling
    Jaguar: 750 RoF, a bit worse accuracy, easy handling, good hip fire, faster movement while aiming down sites (which is a big deal)
    Lynx: 909 RoF but lower bullet damage, worst accuracy, easy handling, good hip fire

Personally I think the best combination of stats/traits for general purpose use is the Jaguar. It's also a fairly cheap option @ 250 cert cost.

There's also the Cougar, TRAC-5 S, TRAC-5 burst, but I didn't list them because they're IMHO not worth considering right now, other than the TRAC-5 S but only for its smoke grenade attachment in certain situations.
  5. Kronic

The lynx has the lowest ADS moving cof of all TR carbines, tied with the NS-11C and doesn't have much horizontal recoil (from what I can feel anyway, the stats aren't up to date). The Lynx is not an inaccurate weapon at all.
  6. Iridar51

Starting CoF, which will expand as quickly as for 143 damage weapon while doing less damage per shot. Through some recoil paths I had, and some napkin math, I came to the conclusion is that Lynx has similar average horizontal recoil to the VX6-7, which has 0.25-0.25.
  7. krokolop

So weapon which costs 250 certs is better than weapons which cost 1000 certs? Does that make sense?
  8. Iridar51

Define "better". Each weapon is better for something. T5 AMC which costs 250 certs is better for ranged combat than Lynx, which costs 1000 certs.
    Jaguar which costs 250 certs, is better for close quarters than default TRAC 5.
    In PS2 you pay to specialize, not to have "better" weapons.
  9. krokolop

So thanks for the answers.
  10. cruczi

No, because there's no such thing as a "better weapon". Weapons in this game are rarely straight upgrades even though in terms of overall performance, some weapons are better than others. But if you look at the way the weapons are designed, you can find reasons for using any of them, depending on situation, playstyle and preference. There's even an argument for sticking to the default weapon if all you want is a jack-of-all-trades reliable weapon.

If there's any trend in the cert costs for weapons, it has to do with how special the weapon is to the faction. The newly added carbines (all of which are quite different from any other carbine for the faction), ESSR's, the new AR's, ES Heavy Assault weapons, etc. are always 1000 certs. All NS weapons fall to the same category IMO because being from a third party, they are special to each faction. SMG's are 1000 certs because they are usable by all classes. The highest damage/velocity + slowest handling sniper rifles are, of course, 1000 certs.

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any logic whatsoever in the relative costs of weapons that are less than 1000 certs. It all seems rather arbitrary, perhaps it's just SOE's vision of what weapons they want to be common and what they want to be rare, rather than what they think are high performing or require higher skill.
    • Up x 1
  11. krokolop

Isnt Cougar the best? I checked it and it kills in 6 shots, Jaguar in 7.
  12. Iridar51

Jaguar will fire 7 shots faster than Cougar will fire 6 shots.
  13. Redwave

I would recommend the Jaguar as if fits the CQC play style of a light assault, other than that, T5 AMC, then TRAC-5
  14. SharpeShooter

lolz
  15. SeanFree

Cougar not worth using? lol wat.

It's a Razer with a bigger magazine. Razer is amazing.
  16. cruczi

On the other hand, Razor's long reload is faster than Cougar's short reload. That negates the magazine size difference. The only other difference I can tell is that Razor has 40m/s better velocity and 0.25 better hipfire COF. Cougar is a slightly downgraded Razor, pure and simple. However as you said, Razor is amazing, so Cougar is still worth using; especially as it's TR's only 167 dmg carbine.
  17. SeanFree

Hip firing a mid range low DPS carbine is a bit of a crapshoot anyway, both are good guns I would recommend to anyone though.
  18. cruczi

Against competitive CQC weapons, yes. Against LMG's or longer range AR's, even the low DPS carbines are pretty decent for those oh crap situations.
  19. reydelchicken

Just stick to the trac-5, don't get misled into thinking it's a bad weapon simply because it's the default carbine. It's a great, all-rounder weapon.

Just make sure you try the gun out with different attachments, namely the laser sight, and the forward grip, and try to identify the type of player you are, ADS vs Hipfire. This will allow you to pick from both the jaguar and the t5-amc, which imo are good options for players that mostly hipfire, or players that mostly ADS will benefit from using the t5-amc.

Just as a warning, I suggest you avoid barrel attachments, I've done some extensive testing on different weapons with a bunch of different setups, and it's simply not worth the downside to use a barrel attachment, with the sole exception of compensators on long range lmgs if the recoil is giving you issues.
  20. Corezer

I second trac 5, it auraxium's very fast.

As a final weapon, it would depend on a few factors, but if you like suppressors, I would go with the lynx.

for NC I'd say screw carbines and work on getting the tempest lol
    • Up x 1