New Infiltrator Need Tips

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by DravenRuiz, Jun 16, 2014.

1. DravenRuiz

I've decided to make a character (TR on Mattherson) dedicated to the infiltrator class. I'm completely new to using this class and need some tips. What are good ways to earn certs, tips on sniping (CQC and long range), tips on how to go unnoticed in a large firefight, and weapon suggestions.
  2. DHT#

Honestly, sniping is one of the slowest ways to gain certs unless you are just obscenely good at it. If you want to be an infiltrator and get certs, you should get a suppressor for your pistol, equip the stalker cloak, and learn to use both well. The hunter cloak (the normal one) recharges when you are uncloaked. The stalker cloak recharges when you are not moving, but recharges more slowly when you are cloaked.

For sniping tips though, it's a good idea to move after every kill, maybe every shot if there are enemy snipers around. You can press Shift to steady your aim for a short while ("hold breath"), and the base TR rifle can't kill in one shot, but it is semi-automatic. You'll need a bolt action (I think it's 250 certs) to get a one-hit kill. Also try and flank the enemy. If you are sniping with all your buddies around, you'll go down quickly because all of the enemy snipers are looking at them and will see you. Flanking not only allows you a better choice of who to shoot, but you can catch other enemy snipers off guard. You can also earn some quick experience by spotting enemies. Hit the Q key to spot each enemy you see. If someone else kills them, you will still get spot experience. Enemies can hear you shouting out the spots, though, so don't do it if you're near enemies and are going the stalker route.

For stalking, definitely drop the ammo pouch you start with for nanoweave, and I highly recommend med kits / restoration kits for utility slots. You can do well by hacking enemy equipment / vehicle terminals to get you vehicles and equipment. It's worth upgrading the recon darts or motion detector a few times as well. You also get detection bonuses for these, so not only does it help your allies out you'll get experience. Fire those into high traffic areas like control points and you can get a few ribbons (small experience boosts) very quickly. Flanking is even more important for a stalker infil, as you can become the bane of snipers and engineers. They'll be busy looking at enemies or repairing and are easy kills. But this takes a lot of patience and isn't for everyone. As TR, you are a step ahead of NC / VS because the starter TR pistol is pretty friggin awesome if you can aim well.

The knife is also a great way to finish off an enemy. If you see their shields drop and you're close, just knife them. It'll kill them instantly if their shields are down, and 2 knife hits will kill an enemy even with full shields (except an HA with NMG up).
    • Up x 1
  3. NC supporter

Bob and weave. Get enough certs to upgrade your cloak and buy a decent smg. Then make sure you don't move in a straight line in front of enemies and always bob and weave to avoid getting hit. Treat maxes like T-Rexes, as in if you don't move, they will usually not see you. Remember the human eye detects movement above else so hiding in the bushes helps to recharge your cloak. Sniping is great once you learn how to use it. Snipe from distances at first and make sure to cloak, aim on your target, and uncloak before taking a shot. Once you have taken a shot take the time to move a bit so the enemy doesn't pinpoint your location. The default sniper rifle is good but is better with the attachment that allows you to **** the sniper rifle between each shot without zooming out from the sight. Once you get good and start getting ribbons, you can move into close engagements and attack from the place least expected. Take out medics, engis, and snipers first. Then move on to LA and finally to heavies from a distance always as shields get in the way. Never attack a max unless they only have a tiny tiny sliver of health left. Buy an auto regen device if you want to replenish your health on foot. If you want, hop on NC with me on Connery and I can teach you to works. Give me a pm if your interested. Infiltraitors play pretty much the same on all factions except make different noises when cloaking and uncloaking.
    • Up x 1
  4. Eaderout

Go to the VR room and try out your rifle at different distances with the scope you want to run with.
    For me I rain with the NC Bolt Driver till I maxed it. At first I did not know what scope to use, 6x, 8x, 12x? I ended up just sticking with the 12x always. Once you have your weapon and scope you want to use VR ROOM until you know your aim points on your scope...O and run silenced weapons. If you don't want to pop on in the mini map do that, if you don't care then enjoy people being on your *** if you stay in the same spot too long.

If you don't have a good bolt action rifle I would get one of those first (so you can OHK headshot style) and then silence it (you will learn the bulletdrop and it will not even be an issue).

I mainly play mid to long range and stalker from time to time. Once I found my aim points it makes running as an INF way easer. Now for running targets.....I still have not worked that out.

Cloaking. If you cloak or uncloak the enemy will hear you. If you are far away cloak and uncloak until your are blue in the face. If you are in a good spot and close to the enemy it might not be the best time to cloak and give away where you are at. This skill takes time to understand

Personal Mines.
    I lay these just around corners, at the top of stair cases, by terminals, on avenues of approach (where I have a good idea where the enemy will come from), etc. They are fun to play with

Flank Flank Flank.
    When attacking the enemy getting in behind is gold. I do this by using my ESF with the eject safe option (I forget the name). If anything you can just land it and run to where you need to go. Flying is the quickest way to get bend the line or across the map.

Sunder
    I got this early in game. The sunder is the mobal spawn point everyone loves to hate. I would get this with a maxed out Stealth cert and moble spawn point cert.

Flash
    They are weak, you can die easy on them, you can be OHK in the face on them but they do have the cloak ability. If you need to get somewhere I would use this with the cloak ability (maxed so you can go longer).

Over all it takes time to get good at this game, more so as an INF but I think INF is the best and funnest.
  5. yeHHH1g

Lol, whoever recommended stalker cloak for certs, just no. Hunter SMG infiltrator is the most rewarding in terms of certs if you play aggressive. I recommend the PDW for the range but the Armistice is a good weapon as well. Flank your enemies from the sides and behind, I like the sides better since better players are always watching their backs. Also, stay cloaked at all times when moving whenever possible. Get behind cover when you run out of cloak before running out again. Ideally, you should only ever be uncloaked when you are shooting someone
    • Up x 1
  6. Moz

yeHHH1g hits the nail on the head really.

I would just say, get yourself the SMG that you think fits your play best, max your cloak ASAP.

One thing i have noticed is that if there is a big battle going on, maybe a max crash or something people just dont notice the cloaked infil as easy.
    For example last night i was running with my outfit for like 45 mins on a Biolab alert.
    They crashed the generator room from the teleporter, which was camped all the way up the large stairs on the right. Our maxes bust in and i hugged the wall up the stairs, i simply ran next to a max in through the door to utilise his shield and then split to the other side of the stairs (near the hand rail thingy) and straight up the other side of the stairs. With almost 10 guys looking down those stairs no one saw me and i mopped up the commi filth. Moral of the story is big fights distract people, take advantage.
  7. KendoPS1

I've been getting more kills with bolt action sniper (Tsar-42) and reflex scope than SMG lately, probably because everyone and their mother plays HA with iwin shield.
  8. VanuSShooter

My loadout
    Parallax
    Commissioner
    Med kits
    Hunter cloak
    Ammo belt

Ill tell u tips tomorrow it will take forever typing on my phone.. I snipe alot and the tips that I will be given are the ones that work for me. You can have a look at my signature and ull see my count
  9. Plunutsud pls

Sniping will not bring you a lot of certs, I learned that the hard way.
    • Up x 1
  10. Lection

Infiltrator Tips:
    • When being looked for while cloaked, ignore that reaction to go for the most covered and concealed areas... That's where the enemy thinks you're going to go. You are more likely to be looked for near objects that grant cover of any kind. So, even though this sounds crazy, when you're trying to hide, there is no better place than to crouch-cloak in the open (where there isn't a battle raging on). The only way they're going to see you is if they accidentally shoot you, or if you move if front of their face.
    • Take it slow! With infiltrator invisibility is key to most of your kills, and the cloak is motion sensitive. Faster you move, the more likely you get shot in the face.
    • Shoot, Cloak, Move. When you fire your weapon you will make a sound, which means the enemy knows where you are. Keep them guessing where they need to shoot to kill you.
    • Though there are motion trackers, there is a weakness of there's you can exploit best. Keep crouched around the dart motion tracker and you can't be seen on the mini-map. The beacon though is slightly more fool-proof, you get caught in it's sight, STAY IN THAT VERY SPOT AND CLOAK UNTIL IT GOES AWAY.
    Now i'm no expert on this class, but that's what I've found out playing infiltrator.
  11. Pathogenic

I don't really play SMG or Stalker Infil, so I can't vouch for any of these statements holding true there.

Don't shy away from the harder shots. The only way to get good at hitting moving targets is to shoot at moving targets. Don't give up the easy kill if it's there, though :D

Remember that people do not forgive snipers. You *will* have people you kill attempt to hunt you down, bring in support, or try to countersnipe. Keeping your eyes scanning constantly, a well placed motion spotter, and AI mines are your friends, especially since you can run regen implant now to not need kits.

If nothing else is available and you're already engaged in the fight, don't be afraid to take potshots at a MAX. Headshots should be doing around 200 damage I think? The big thing is it is distracting as piss to them. Many will even try to return fire ><

In general, only peek when your cloak is up and then return to cover. Why sit with your face exposed? The exception to this would be if you're baiting out fire, something I'll do primarily when countersniping.

Move. For the love of everything, move. If I see you fire from the same spot twice, I am going to put one in your dome if you come up there again. Even a cycle of 2-3 spots in a small area is better than the same spot.

Be a buddy. Savior XP isn't bad, and if you are firing at an enemy who is engaged with an ally, then (A) they are more likely to be stationary past CQC ranges and (B) you can aim for the body if your ally is firing back.

If you're in a squad, RELAY INFORMATION. Q spotting is fine and dandy, but you can process the info from afar while your team is in a firefight. Location, movement, general composition are most important.

Shrug off misses. You're going to miss. You'll miss easy shots. You'll miss incredibly difficult shots by a hair's breadth. You'll miss dozens of shots in a row sometimes. Hakuna matata, baby.
  12. DHT#

Hunter infil is definitely the way to get the fastest certs, but that requires either buying an SMG or blowing 1000 certs on it. It also requires significantly more skill to do well, and if he's new to the infil game he'll probably end up dead more often than not with it.
  13. salembeats

Flash Fury is the fastest road to certs. :)
  14. Tyrant103

I've went many times having high killstreaks which in turn bring alot of certs, I assume you have a bad aim or don't position yourself correctly. Anyway to my advice for OP

IGNORE HEAVY ASSAULTS WHEN USING SMG.

Many times have I died from attacking an HA from behind, once he uses his shield you are dead. Focus on support classes.

If you can, making your way past the enemies into a tech plant (assuming they are near) and hacking turrets can simply be game changing.

Anti-personnel mines can be helpful when capping in low pop regions, even during zergs if you are intending not to live long. Don't be afraid to get up close with a sniper rifle. (I'm talking mid range)
  15. Plunutsud pls

Try a 40+ killstreak with the Phaseshift and see how many certs you get.

I quit playing sniper that day and started playing medic.
  16. FBVanu

Been a while since I was a sniper.. but they can be fun. Get the bouncing betty.. place in corners of entries.. the kills will come.

Best practice: hunter cloak, walk, yes, I said walk, from your warpgate to one of the enemy warpgates.. without being seen, don't shoot anyone, just observe..
    it takes a while, but it will be a great learning experience. once you get there.. feel free to take pot shots.. they mostly never expect a sniper just a hundred meters from their warpgate..
    It will teach you to sneak around

great certs are in tech stations, amp stations.. with lots of turrets.. when the enemy has most of the continent, you can usually go unnoticed into any base they own, without encountering any enemies.. hack all terminals and only one of the turrets.. then use that turret to shoot all the other turrets.. (more certs for destroying them than for hacking them)

last tip: patience... don't shoot right away.. patience.. wait, the enemy will move, into a better position to take them out.. or more enemies will come.. (which could be deadly to you...), so you wait some more.. then they start leaving.. and you can take out the last two stragglers.. patience pays off.

Good luck.
  17. Tyrant103

Why'd you use phaseshift? lol
  18. NahumLudd

My 2 cents

If sniping:

Aim for the head.

Sniping is hated outside the infiltrator community. They WILL come after you. Place motion sensors and mines covering your flanks and approach routes.

Don't snipe from so extreme ranges that you can't hit anything (that would make the sniper haters right). Try to snipe from vantage points at a distance you feel comfortable with.

Pick your targets. Everyone can kill random grunts. The beauty of being infiltrator is doing what no other can. Aim for medics in cover, repairing engies, people about to pull out vehicles from terminals, mines, ambushers, flankers....etc. first. Then shoot the rest. Then, if you have nothing else to do, shoot the MAXes. One exception to this is people standing still. It is worth to take a couple of seconds to get them, because it's just so easy.

I've only felt the need to relocate after each shot when countersniping. Otherwise I only relocate after a minute or so.

For me, the TSAR is a good enough sniper rifle when equipped with a 4x sight. Cheap, powerful, no scope sway, and I don't really need to be able to count someone's teeth to take him down. I find the optics are enough for sniping up to a couple hundred meters away.

If going for CQC:

Aim for the body (ideally upper torso/lower neck) unless your target is completely unaware and still.

I. LOVE. MY. SOAS-20.

Guerrilla fighting. Strike and run. If you can fire first from behind, you'll win most 1vs1 (heavies with iwin shield included). Don't go for MAXes unless the two of you are alone.

If you find yourself cornered, or about to encounter enemies head on, cloak and EVADE. You'll lose a frontal firefight with your low HP. We're not a front line unit for good reason.

Be creative. Be annoying. Hack, mine, run, shoot in the back, cloak and run again. Set up decoys. Be deceptive. Put the enemy on their nerves. Make them worry for you while they don't worry about the rest of your team. You'll know you're doing it right when you have 5+ enemies exclusively hunting you. Dissapear and let them search in vain. Then strike their backs from afar ;)

HOW TO RESPOND TO THE "INFILTRATORS ARE USELESS SUCKERZ"

You contribute to your team by:

Sniping or otherwise killing medics reviving, engies repairing, bailed out pilots, mines, sensors, ambushers and flankers...etc.
    Providing intel.
    Hacking terminals and specially turrets.
    Creating general chaos and havoc behind enemy lines, so the enemy gets overly cautious.
    Make the enemy focus on you and not them.
    Sabotaging generators before anyone else is even close to the base.
    Removing threats as mana turrets and other snipers.
    ...more ideas?

You're not a force by yourself but a force multiplier. A small team with a good infiltrator can be more effective than a much larger team.
    • Up x 1
  19. CuteBeaver

Actually Salembeats has a good point. Vehicles should not be overlooked. You should probably invest 50 certs to get the AMS for your sundie as quickly as possible. This allows you to hack enemy vehicle terminals and create a spawn location for your faction on the front lines. Sometimes you can find a great little hiding place near the base and park your recently aquired fun bus. Later on as you get more certs to spend, you can invest points into sundie stealth, so it cannot be auto detected by enemies when they look at their mini maps.

For cheap transportation, putting a few cert points into your flash, and the wraith cloaking module is a great idea. This will help you move to the next enemy base. Putting a weapon on your flash is also a good idea. However it can be harder for a new player to pull off vehicle kills, so don't be discouraged, and its okay to wait for a little bit before trying this. Don't be too hard on yourself using the flash in combat is an art. The flash is very unstable and likes to spin out and flip over so driving can also be interesting. Even so its a wonderful way to get from place to place especially if your new to the game.
    • Up x 1
  20. Jawarisin

If you feel like looking me up to know who's talking, just head up to a stats website (dasanfall suggested if you have an account)
    JawarisinNC
    JawarisinV

I'm lazy for giving out tips especially when a lot of stuff is re-said in the same thread while there is some donkie stuff being said also. Here I'm simply going to go over most comment and put in.

GREEN: sound advice, I'd read it

RED: That guy spaced out when he wrote it, he didn't mean it... really

PURPLE Has a correction/comment beside it written in PINK

WHITE is just ok, not the best advice, but worth reading, I don't nessecerly side with it or side against, I just don't think its stupid enough to earn red, neither so good as to be green.