Vanguard overpowered (video)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Brad seven, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Brad seven

I took this video the other day.
    My driver and I landed all of our shots (driver had ap rounds). And the vanguard had just pulled out of another fight were he was damaged. And yet we get killed while not even dealing 50% damage.
    I have a hard time telling if he is hacking, or if it's their stupid win button.

• Up x 1
  2. Torok

Rushing a Vanguard with the Enforcer and Shield ready from up close? the prowler driver didn't even seem to have Fire suppression which means he probably had Lockdown, well played lol, well played!

Get Enhanced targeting Implant and start playing from distance, the prowler is deadly in open fields such as the Indar North desert, looks like your driver seriously needs some practice
    • Up x 14
  3. OddChelsea

Oh lord, another QQ thread on the vanguard. The shield already took a huge nerf. It's down from 3k to 2k HP for the shield and it was nerfed to 6 seconds. The shield can now be brought down OR waited out easier. As far as the vanguard being really good against tanks, it should be, it's garbage against infantry compared to the others.
    • Up x 7
  4. Spude

There is no way to win vanguard 1v1 with any vehicle in CQC as you showed us. Since its been like that for long time the other faction players just need to adapt.

I hated the same thing myself long ago but todays i deal with it and use range to my advantage when using prowler. Spotting vanguards is very critical for succes because you can position yourself well if you know where the vanguard is.

If you lockdown and keep distance and the vanguard doesnt have any cover near its going to lose or just flank it and attack from rear.
    • Up x 1
  5. Merlock

lol get rekt
    No but seriously you use the pwoler wrong, Vanguards are amazing up close but prowler shines more in the ranges. This is like with the ESF's too, reaver seems to be better up close than from ranges so you have to respect that. Do not expect to go in a vanguards face and win from it when it has it's ES AV secundary weapon equipped, it's a death trap. Your driver should've known better to no drive IN HIS FACE.
    • Up x 1
  6. Vixxing

FTFY
  7. OddChelsea

Are you saying the magrider is bad against infantry? The PPA says otherwise. I was talking about the whole package, not just the main gun. The PPA is an AI monster. The prowler's double cannon is great for AI. We have a worse AI cannon than the prowler and a worse AI secondary than the mag. The vanguard does do anti tank better than either I feel however.
    • Up x 2
  8. Vixxing

Good luck when you meet a Vanguard or a Prowler when PPA is equipped... Magrider main cannon is worst at:AI, AA and AV... without a doubt...
    • Up x 2
  9. lothbrook

Considering every tank is scrap metal if they meet another tank with AI equipped and the magriders main guns all have to same splash damage stats as the VG and slightly faster reload times except for HE, they're better at AI than the VGs, then when you factor in that its on a strafing platform making it more difficult for infantry to C4/rocket you, its a much better AI platform than the VG.

Same goes for the FPC, once you factor in the ability to move and shoot accurately its in line with the VG, the shield is basically the only thing keeping the VG even remotely viable right now, as its baseline higher armor still leaves a prowler with a faster TTK, and a single miss against a magrider, which is completely plausible, means the magrider will kill faster.
    • Up x 2
  10. OddChelsea

So buff the mag's main gun and buff the van's C85 canister more to make it effective at decent ranges.
    • Up x 2
  11. Vixxing

Its harder to C4 a tank that can only look in the direction its facing, than a Vannie that can just turn turret? common... at least try to be realistic...
  12. lothbrook

Also for future reference, VGs take the same number of shots to the side as they do to the front, prowlers do not, so driving to the rear of a VG that sees you is very stupid, your best bet is to equip front armor and brawl it out with fire suppression against a VG in that scenario.
  13. lothbrook

No, its harder to C4 a tank thats moving, how does turning the turret stop you from getting C4d? lol.

Basically a magrider can constantly stay on the move against infantry and kill them while doing so, every other tank in the game has to either stop or slow down drastically to fire accurately, leaving infantry a window to C4 more easily.

Stats also show the Magrider is the least C4'd tank and the VG is the most, so yeah.
    • Up x 2
  14. HighestDefinition

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  15. HighestDefinition

I know that the graph I posted is out of date, but since this graph the vanguard has been nerfed, so don't say that the shield is OP.
    • Up x 2
  16. Mezinov

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but from what the video shows the Prowler simply handled the engagement extremely poorly.

There is no evidence that the Vanguard was damaged or coming from another fight; at best it looks like it was trying to drive to the fight. If anything the lack of smoke and positioning behind the coral would indicate that they had just finished repairs from their other conflict.

Both tanks are AT/AT, and in that particular scenario their DPS would be fairly comparable. An AP/Enforcer Vanguard takes about 8 seconds to kill a Prowler from the front or side, and an unanchored AP/Halberd Prowler takes about 7-7.5 seconds to kill a Vanguard from the side or front.

So this means the engagement comes down to who can take the most hits, and right from the start it isn't going to be the Prowler.

Your fight starts with the Prowlers opening salvo hitting the front of a Vanguard, which has its highest mitigation, while the Vanguard is hitting the Prowlers side. The same remains true for the second salvo before the shield comes on. Again, the Prowler is firing against the front while the Vanguard is firing on the side.

Ignoring the shield, you only managed one shot on the rear of the Vanguard and that with the secondary weapon, while creating a scenario where the Vanguard had consistent shots on your side armor. This would have been insufficient to tip the engagement to your favor, and the outcome would have been the same if the Vanguard hadn't had the shield.

The only difference would have been that the Vanguard would have likely been on fire, but given that neither of you were a Heavy Assault it wouldn't have mattered. It still would have driven away from your mines and shot both of you, before hopping out to repair.

The Vanguard will win in a brawl. It has the armor to survive close quarters and considerable firepower, and at a range where it can't miss it's slow speed and slow reload mean nothing.

Meanwhile it's slow speed and slow rate of fire means that, at a range, the Prowler will be able to pick it apart. Even without lockdown the Prowler's higher rate of fire and nimbleness will allow it to judge it's shots better, get more hits, and avoid the Vanguards counter fire.

So in the end, you are declaring a tank "OP" for wining in the exact scenario it was designed to excel at while engaging it with a tank that was as far from the scenario it was designed to excel at as possible.
    • Up x 9
  17. Alarox

The Vanguard will almost always lose to the Prowler in even situations unless it has a shield.

If you Anchor, the Vanguard barely beats you, meaning it comes down to whoever has the advantage in initiative/position/health.

So tell me, how exactly is the the Vanguard overpowered? Being able to barely beat your tank for 6s every 45s at close range and losing the rest of the time is overpowered?

I have sympathy toward Prowler users in this situation because this feels like being caught in the open by a Liberator. Imminent death, and sometimes all you can do is watch. However, it doesn't seem like you've even considered the other side and what it is like for Vanguard users. Where we're at a disadvantage in all other scenarios leaving us this one to exploit, and even then it has been nerfed to the point where a Prowler still has a chance at winning.
    • Up x 1
  18. Drudid

its interesting you came to that conclusion, the prowler did so many things wrong here compared to the vanguard

"And the vanguard had just pulled out of another fight were he was damaged"
    -first off pausing at 0:04 you can clearly see the vanguard is full hp
    -and his shield is not on cooldown. he is more than a minute out of any other fight.

-the front of the vanguard is being shown, your prowler is showing its side
    from the beginning of this fight you were at a disadvantage
    next is loadout choices:
    -you are taking AP-halberd against an AP-enforcer the halberd is great, but in close range where you cant miss, enforcer will win take a vulcan.
    (*here i assume the driver is the vehicle owner*)
    the BR 60 driver, with only 400ish Vkills in prowler probably hasn't got max reload on both guns, conversely the BR 75 driver with close to 1k Vkills IS likely to have max reloads opening an even wider gap

your prowler never uses a utility, no fire suppression or lockdown. how you can expect to win when someone uses their utility and you don't i just don't understand.

you played every moment of this engagement badly.
    you charge around the rock, shooting him in the front while giving the side of your own tank

a better way to do this.
    -go round the rock fire, he pops shield while accelerating from stationary
    -you pull back around rock
    -lockdown
    -shield runs out before he gets to or just after he gets to the corner (6 seconds and the acc is truly awful)
    -you now have a higher dps than he can hope to compare with, no shield, and even getting around to your rear he will still die.

you took a tank that wasnt built* (loadout build- ie fire sup, front armour vs nanites lockdown) for brawling, and then tried brawling a tank that was built for brawling, and you did it badly , so lost.
    please use this as a learning experience so you can eventually improve your play
    rather than just blaming the game and never getting any better
    • Up x 5
  19. Frosty The Pyro

Is it just me or does the driver in the OPs video stop firing after his third shell (when he sheild goes up). I mean the secondary gunner keeps firing, but the primary gunner, who is apparently rocking AP, just stops. I mean why ram into the guy if your not going to keep shooting?

So the result was you put one salvo (2 shelds) of the p-120 and one halberd rocket into the vans front armor, and then one p-120 shell and 2 halberd shells into his sheild, with one halberd and the one p-120 being to the front, and one halberd to the side or rear (its hard to tell, remember damage direction is not were you hit, but were you are standing when you hit). The whole time however you are taking shots to your prowlers side armor (when the prowler in question had reinforced front).

so by my count you did 4500 effective damage (3000 ap salvo, 1500 halberd) to the vanguards front armor (12500 effective health), and another 4500 (1500 from one ap shell, 3000 from two halberd rockets) to the sheild (6250 effective health front, 5714 from the side, and 2857 from the rear). I am going to say that last halberd shot counted as a side hit, otherwise it would have just barely broken the sheild

I mean saying "my driver and I landed all our shots" is kinda disingenuous when the driver just stops taking shots. A missed shot and a shot not fired at all both do zero damage.

Supernova>Titan for AI (3.75 reload is better than 4.0 reload), and the AV is within ~5% which is close enough that who has the better ttk depends on the target. And you can actually argue supernova FPC (AP) to be the best AA, though I would likely count it number 2.
    • Up x 2
  20. iccle

OP, your driver failed, when he first saw the VG (5 seconds into the video) he should have stayed at that range, charging it was a big mistake which you paid for, but evidently have not learned from.

Not only that but the approach he took exposed your sides and eventually the rear of your tank to the VG fire. As soon as the VG popped the shield you should have backed off and used your speed to avoid his fire you had ample cover to use on your left in your initial approach had your driver not over extended and put your tank in a loosing position.
    • Up x 7