Why is it so difficult to add doors?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kriegson, May 7, 2014.

1. Tentakewls

We dont need doors, just more hackable shields like the bridges on Amerish
  2. Phyr

Hey now, lets stop talking about how wrong I might be, and focus on how wrong he could have been.
  3. Goretzu

Hehe, ok, but I'm still not. :p (PS1 was a very expansive game on release and more than that it was a massively ambitious game [a MMOFPS in the days when MMORPGs were still considered ambitious technically] - SOE had history of that then with EQ1, SWG [+JTL] and PS1.... even EQ2 really. Even Core Combat was ambitious, albeit it was a bit of a disaster in the end).
  4. \m/SLAYER\m/

its future, doors is outdated, we have shields
  5. z1967

PS1 had ~3 years. Which is a lot longer than 18 months.
  6. ironeddie

If ps2 can't handle doors for performance reasons. Then what the heck are soe going to with future games that use this engine. H1Z1 is going to be a bit odd without doors.
  7. AMARDA

It's a matter of Scale and Millisecond response times. Basically they Sacrificed Doors for Performance in a game that needs that performance. A game cannot be strong in all areas, thus choosing what to focus on will often make or break games.
  8. Levtech

Exactly. Each door = 1 player in terms of performance.
    • Up x 1
  9. AdmiralArcher

instead of doors as objects just make them super opaque force fields that dont allow bullets through, put a switch next to the force field to turn it off and there ya go, no moving parts just a force field
  10. Goretzu

Supposedly it has doors, no idea what havoc distructable terrain in EQN will cause though performance-wise.
  11. Grayson

We have random floating objects on continents,wg vulnerability, because someone cant fix the invulnerability "feature" and we could even make a bug festival after every update.....guess why we dont have them?
  12. Tuco

I guess they're screwed for Everquest Next then. Cause a MMORPG is just one door after another.
  13. LibertyRevolution

Doors... why do we need doors...

Doesn't anyone remember what tech plants were like before they put the gens outside the main building??
    Door camping the 2 doors, just spamming with maxes and engineer turrets was not fun gameplay...

You want to do that to every building? I'm go ahead and vote no on that..
  14. FigM

It was a tough issue maybe around year 2000, but in year 2014 it's quite possible to have.

SOE just needs to hire some smart people
  15. ironeddie

Yeah. I'm thinking soe is making large scale games with large player numbers. And using the same engine to run them. So are they not likely to encounter similar issues in say h1z1 or EQN as they've seen in ps2. If I'm right then surely they've found solutions these other games. Or they will. In which case perhaps those solutions could be introduced into ps2 and we could get something like doors.
  16. libbmaster

Actually, I'm convinced it's more than that.

Cause they have to add in scripts that dictate how the players interact with doors, which take up performance by running + animations and such.

I think they had an issue a while back with terminals causing frame rate drops when ever people looked in their direction. I think it's kind of like that.
  17. JibbaJabba

Ewww. Yuck. 1/10

You should go back to the aforementioned straw man argument. That wild speculation with a hollow core is even worse.

I'm just really trolling at this point though. Couldn't care less if you believe me or not. You're not getting doors either way.